http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...mma1357_e.html
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2014, 01:20 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,877 Posts
Yeah, and a good size, too, at 63" span, with the option of a 40-size glow engine or electric motor. About the same size and weight as my E-flite Super Cub.

I am a big Stinson fan, but I may pass on this one. I have the Pilot 1 50" Stinson Voyager, and it has superb scale fidelity for an electric small-field model. This one is lacking in certain respects, like the bare landing gear legs, the fin fillet transition, and the windshield treatment. (I know, I'm being picky...) I also have the ECOM 91" Stinson 108A, and while it has some quality issues, it is also more scale in detail and subtle features. I will say this, though: compared to the VQ Piper Tri-Pacer, this one gets a passing grade with fanfare!

I'll have to check it out in the flesh, when it shows up at the LHS.
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Last edited by dgliderguy; Apr 15, 2014 at 01:28 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:49 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,923 Posts
You could add leggings of 1/16" foam plastic from the craft store. Windshield could be detailed with tape, fillet at vert stab is not grossly deficient. I am a recovering Stinson Reliant scale model addict. Remember my Pat Tritle SR-7 short kit bash?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:13 PM
CH Spring
Canada, ON, Osgoode
Joined Mar 2008
281 Posts
I'll take a pass on this one. I would be all over it if it were truer to the original design, and if it were a 108-3, or could be modded to one.

Without dihedral or a slotted wing, and with that landing gear and cowl, I'll just put my wallet back in my pocket.

Cheers!
Spring is offline Find More Posts by Spring
Old Jul 04, 2014, 10:13 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,725 Posts
Too bad the "scale police" have been so hard on this plane.

I'm with E-Challenged: the plane's most noticeable deviations could be relatively easily corrected. The mods would give some nice satisfaction to a skilled modeler and would result in a very nice plane at a bargain price.

Apparently others agreed: the plane sold out at Tower fairly quickly.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Jul 04, 2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2014, 07:01 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,247 Posts
Oh, freaking scale police batman!

I have seen several full sized Stinson Aircraft that are flying today and they come very scale like to this new model depicted in this discussion thread.

I am more concern over the quality of covering, battery placement ease instead of all those ridiculous "Nick PICKING" posts garbage that a few have left here.

Here is one NC949D, a 108-2 restored to perfection by the late Butch Walsh.

and.........

N4171C, is a Stinson 108-3, owned by Robert Hadow and Lynn O’Donnell.

So, you see some has the Fin Fillet Transition and others don't etc...etc.....

If I was a SCALE FREAK then, I would consider the Hobby Express (Formerly Hobby-Lobby) Stinson 108 for sale as shown in the picture immediately below. Its wingspan is 108 1/2" and length is 81". It needs 26 cc or bigger engines or the equivalent electric motor power. Its weight is around 20 lbs.

Yes, Hobby Express still sells it at:
http://www.hobbyexpress.com/giant_sc..._4055_prd1.htm
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2014, 07:07 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,247 Posts
Phoenix model aircraft

Oh, by the way, Phoenix Model Aircraft is one high quality maker of "Scale" ARF RC Airplanes and you all should be lucky that TOWER HOBBY has provided an import to them!

Here is the direct Link to Phoenix Model Aircraft for those that are interested.

http://phoenixmodel.com/
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2014, 07:13 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,247 Posts
YouTube Video

Well, I am very pleased to see this model perform.

The lack of too much "Scale" Dihedral gives this model an excellent subject for really getting some maneuvers under one's belt!

The turns didn't have any adverse anything!

A very nicely made video at:

Phoenix Model Stinson GP/EP ARF (3 min 4 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2014, 07:27 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,247 Posts
few more Pictures of this fine RC Model

Full Product Description from PHOENIX MODELS web site:
http://phoenixmodel.com/phoenixmodel...x?ProductId=82

Here are a few more pictures of this model:

RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2014, 07:43 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,247 Posts
Instruction Manual....

From the Instruction manual.......

RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2014, 07:49 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Too bad the "scale police" have been so hard on this plane.

I'm with E-Challenged: the plane's most noticeable deviations could be relatively easily corrected. The mods would give some nice satisfaction to a skilled modeler and would result in a very nice plane at a bargain price.

Apparently others agreed: the plane sold out at Tower fairly quickly.
Phoenix Models produced great ARF's considering the price point. Thank goodness we have a distributor over here in the USA (TOWER) that imports these beauties!

Your Tucano 40 by Phoenix is just another example:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...80&postcount=9

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=35
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Jul 06, 2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2014, 12:39 PM
Joined Oct 2000
11,923 Posts
Landing gear leg covers on scale model Stinsons, and similar designs, especially Reliants, are do not fare well with landing impacts. Phoenix probably left them off for that reason. the 1/16" sheet foam plastic sold at Micheals craft stores is useful for making gear leg covers that will flex and can be painted to match the model with Testors enamel, etc. I'm not keen on battery hatch on bottom, especially with a large heavy model. Large and awkward model to turn over to change packs. I would be tempted to build in a functional side door(s) for battery pack access. If not, I would have to make a large field servicing rack out of ABS plastic pipe and fittings like I did for my Maxford Gee Bee.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1825239&page=8
Old Jul 06, 2014, 01:31 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,247 Posts
E-Challenged,

Would Love to see your mods on Battery placement on your model.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:24 AM
Joined Oct 2000
11,923 Posts
Sorry, I don't have the Stinson Voyager model. I do have a "donated" Sig 6-foot wsp J-3 Cub that I am converting from glow to electric power, has no battery access or battery compartment yet. Bottom of fuselage structure and landing gear, etc do not make it easy to add an access hatch and battery compartment in the bottom of fuselage as on the Voyager model.

I'll bite the bullet, cut out, frame, and hinge a functional side door and window for battery access from side while sitting at a picnic table. I will use small RE magnets to hold door shut instead of latch mechanism. It is wise to leave some fore and aft area in battery mounting setup for CG adjustment once you have the basic battery location/CG setting figured out for your model. Disregard removable dummy floor and seats, etc in dear departed detailed Sig Cub pic.
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jul 21, 2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 09:48 PM
Joined Mar 2014
36 Posts
Wow !!!. What a beautiy. I am a big lover of the stinson family. Have 2 108 on my work benches. ( 108 " ) & 2 by tbm. 91 ", & 1 rs 9 by t/f almost ready to cover. And this one is on its way to my hanger. Hurry mister postman ..
HOT COALS is offline Find More Posts by HOT COALS