HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2013, 07:28 AM
Keith Thomas
United States, NM, Portales
Joined Feb 2010
1,065 Posts
Discussion
HET Composite F-18

After a lot of consideration....I finally bought one. I read through the other forum on this Jet and couldn't wait to here about how it flew, then the thread went dead.

There are 2 airplanes in this world that I absolutely love, the F-16 and the F-18. I've owned probably 5 or 6 F-16 and one, kinda F-18, it was a Bob Parkinson Blue Hornet that was built from balsa and resembled a F-18. That's all I have to say about that....

My jouney for a F-18 restarted about 2 years ago. I did not want to go foam, it had to be fiberglass. I looked pretty hard at the Yellow F-18 and almost pulled the trigger a 100 times and just never could. Don't get me wrong Yellow builds a super nice airframe, I've owned 3 Yellow F-16's, a Stingray and a F-4, they are great flying planes. I wanted to stay in the 90mm size airframes for a lot of reasons, one of which is the cost.

Speaking of cost, let's break this down and see what it will take to get it in the air.
Airframe...........$430.00
Retracts..........$110.00 to $200.00 with struts
Speed control. $139.00 to $239.00
Fan..................$$100.00 to $1000.00
Misc.................Probably another 100.00 or so

So on the cheap side (the side I'm starting to like) probably around $800.00 bucks or so on the high side....well it's a lot of cash.

I know the other thread a statement was made that the wing had a problem and then the thread went dead. So, I'm sure like a lot of other guys I steered away from it. But, I just kept coming back hoping someone would finish one and get it in the air and let us know what they thought....never happened.

Having a head made from concrete I did a search to see if they were available and found one at Fan Jets USA. I emailed the company and corresponded with a fellow named Matt. We sent emails back and forth for a week or so then I called him. This was my first surprise, he was very knowledgeable and put up with all the questions I asked. After a while you kinda pick up on people who talk the game and people who know EDF, Matt knows EDF. To shorten the story a bit, I ordered the plane while I was taking with him on the phone.

Matt shipped the plane from Granger Indiana and I had it 2 days later....A good start.

My first thought was to do a from the opening of the box to flight type report, but I'm a bit ADHD and ripped it right out and gave it a look over. I really like what I see. A lot of detail went into the plug for this one and of course there's going to be a fair amount of work to get it ready.

This is the second HET airframe I have purchased, the first is the Super Sniper XL. I was very hesitant to purchase the F-18 just because of the XL. I thought, and still do that the XL was rushed into production and a lot could have been done at the factory to make the XL a super bird. Don't get me wrong, I'm not letting go of the XL, she flies amazing so the work was worth it. Back to the 18, this is a very solid airframe, the fuselage has no twist and is pretty free of dents and blemishes. This being a semi scale airframe it's best to know that they often require a little more work......This looks like it will be easier than the XL.

The wings. The first thing I looked at. They are semi symmetrical full composite wings with a lot of detail molded in. I put my incidence meter on the root and the tip just to see if we have a problem and it looks straight to me. I'll have to be a little more accurate with this before I launch it. So it's a go, I'm flying it.

I am still thinking over the fan unit and retracts to see what will work for me. I'm leaning towards a JetFan 90 with a HET 700-68-1400kv motor, this is what I have in my XL. I can fly it on 8s and get around 2400 watts or bump it up to 9s and get close to 3500 watts. I am still not sure what I want to do here. As far as retracts, they almost have to be electric. I have ordered a set from HK to see if they will work, if not it's probably off to Eflite again.

One issue that I knew about going into this Jet was that there are no rudders. Matt was up front with that from the start, so it's going to take a little work to add them. I think Matt and I have the solution, they have a nice line so it will be a matter of cutting them, adding some balsa and figuring out where to put the servos.

I'll post a few pictures that I shot this morning and see if I can show you what I'm talking about. PLEASE feel free to chime in with questions or share your thoughts on the F-18. I know there are others that have bought this airframe to you are welcome to comment or post what you want here.
keithtsr is online now Find More Posts by keithtsr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2013, 07:33 AM
Keith Thomas
Joined Feb 2010
1,065 Posts
A few more pictures. You can see that there is plenty of room for batteries. In the previous post you can see a 4400 6s battery sitting in the Cockpit.

Just so you know, I paid for this plane so I will tell it like I see it.
Last edited by keithtsr; Apr 02, 2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 01:01 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
this is cool Keith
I built the v1 F18 from Het and did a lot of modding and repaint but it looked great and flew great. mine started on 8s and then moved up to 10s, it was 8.25lbs auw on 8s and 8.5lbs on 10s
here is some inspiration for you........not that you need it
there are build/mod pics and more vids in my blog on this jet
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1479905

my buddy Mannyman like you has been agonizing over this jet as well and I think he just decided to go for it like you so you may have some company here if you dont mind

HET F-18 10S #2 (4 min 37 sec)
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Apr 02, 2013, 01:52 PM
Keith Thomas
Joined Feb 2010
1,065 Posts
Ok....now you're making me want to play hookey from work! Super nice Jet, super nice.

It is killing me to have to be a work today, I really want to get in the middle of this Jet. Anyone who wants to post here is more than welcome. All we can do is learn from one and other!

What fan are you running in yours? I have a hand full of 90's but nothing that blows my hair back....or what's left of it. I really want to stick to 8s maybe 9 and I don't want to spend a fortune. What do you think?
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:10 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Keith
here is how I did my rudders, it was an easy mod and worked great, when I took these pics I was going to use nyrod and put the servo's up front but that changed and the servo's are mounted right there next to the fan in the rudder molding, here are some pics of my rudder install.

I got mine from Matt also.......nice guy
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:16 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,376 Posts
keithtsr, perhaps you have already seen this, but take alook-see.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=545
HET 700-68-1680 /JetFan 90

After I had seen this , I PM'd Emile on what batts he used, amps, watts.
Keep in mind, his AUW is 11lb.

I'm using 1.5 year old Turnigy Nanotech 4s5000 (45c/90c) 2x.
This setup pulls about 110amps at 3,25KW.
It's hard to say how much thrust it generates.
Inflight the Jetfan produces visibly more then shown in the graphs of ejets. I experience similar in my Habu.

A HET 700-68-1500 on 8s would be enough for good flight performance but for grass takeoff more power is welcome.

The setup perfoms fine but my next setup would be
10s4500 on HET 700-68-1200.

Grtz,
Emile
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Apr 02, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:22 PM
Keith Thomas
Joined Feb 2010
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
Keith
here is how I did my rudders, it was an easy mod and worked great, when I took these pics I was going to use nyrod and put the servo's up front but that changed and the servo's are mounted right there next to the fan in the rudder molding, here are some pics of my rudder install.

I got mine from Matt also.......nice guy
That looks like a good idea. The V2 has the vertical fin slipping down over a protrusion on the fuselage. The problem is that it also goes all the way to end of the rudder. So I'm thinking I might cut the rudder above this area and put the servos in the fuselage coming out near the rudder????
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:26 PM
Keith Thomas
Joined Feb 2010
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post

Inflight the Jetfan produces visibly more then shown in the graphs of ejets. I experience similar in my Habu.

A HET 700-68-1500 on 8s would be enough for good flight performance but for grass takeoff more power is welcome.

Grtz,
Emile
Thanks for the information. In my Super Sniper XL I am running a JetFan 90 with a HET 700-68-1400kv motor. On 8s I'm getting a little over 2500 watts and on 9s I am real close to 3500 watts. Even on 8s the XL really flies well but on 9s it cooks. When you pull it up it looks like it accelerates in the up line. I don't know what I want to run. I have a Wemo V1 fan with a ARC motor but it's set up to run on 12s a -n -d it don't sound like a turbine
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:28 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithtsr View Post
Ok....now you're making me want to play hookey from work! Super nice Jet, super nice.

It is killing me to have to be a work today, I really want to get in the middle of this Jet. Anyone who wants to post here is more than welcome. All we can do is learn from one and other!

What fan are you running in yours? I have a hand full of 90's but nothing that blows my hair back....or what's left of it. I really want to stick to 8s maybe 9 and I don't want to spend a fortune. What do you think?
you need a powerfull lite fan.........normally I would recommend a TJ fan but I'am not sure you could fit it back their.......and well this brings up the biggest challenge of this model. keeping it lite and powerful mine flew good on 8s but 10s was awesome , I started out with the Het fan and arc 3655-2 1400kv this was very lite and worked great on 8s. when I went to 10s the motors was overheating in the plastic housing so I bought an alloy housing and went to the midi pro rotor.

bottom line is I think this model screams for a JF90 because it is short, lite and has the performance needed for this model and you may actually be able to get it in the small hatch area lol!!.....ok the challenge I talked about is this the hatch is too small and damned near impossible to get the fan in and thrust tube this is such a royal pain in the butt that if I were to do another one there is no doubt in my mind what so ever that the edf hatch would be increased back to the nozzels seriously would even think twice about it. you will see
Last edited by jcdfrd; Apr 02, 2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:29 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:
That looks like a good idea. The V2 has the vertical fin slipping down over a protrusion on the fuselage. The problem is that it also goes all the way to end of the rudder. So I'm thinking I might cut the rudder above this area and put the servos in the fuselage coming out near the rudder????
look closely at mine, it is exactly the same
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:34 PM
Keith Thomas
Joined Feb 2010
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
look closely at mine, it is exactly the same
Sorry....It's amazing what I can see when I put on my glasses Now it makes sense.

I really like the JetFan units. I've owned a couple of them and have been very happy with them. I really feel like it's going to take probably over 3000 watts to makes this happen and maybe even more than 3500....
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:48 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:
Sorry....It's amazing what I can see when I put on my glasses Now it makes sense.

I really like the JetFan units. I've owned a couple of them and have been very happy with them. I really feel like it's going to take probably over 3000 watts to makes this happen and maybe even more than 3500....
yep but the key is to keep her lite! so if you can keep it down to 8-8.5lbs your 2.5kw JF will be fine and 9s for when your feelin a little spunky
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:57 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:

Keep in mind, his AUW is 11lb.

Grtz,
Emile
that link is taking me to the main forum menu
Old Apr 02, 2013, 03:15 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,376 Posts
Sorry it work fine before I posted it. Try this:

Page 37 in JF thread.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Apr 02, 2013, 04:35 PM
Keith Thomas
Joined Feb 2010
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Sorry it work fine before I posted it. Try this:

Page 37 in JF thread.
It does sound good. I would like to know how many amps he is pulling, it's got to be a bunch. With the HET 700-68-1400 motor on 8s I'm pulling 85 or so and on 9s it right at 100.