HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:11 PM
Chino
Joined Aug 2008
613 Posts
Yippee!
La Sierra Slope Site- UPDATES/COMBAT GROUP

I used to fly out at Temple Hill but living on the Corona/Riverside border I find it convenient to fly at the La Sierra Slope Site. I went up there today and the flying was awesome. I flew for about 2 hours, but no one else was up there. Im interested in trying to get any locals who maybe fly here already to meet up and do some combat sessions with our wings. Let me know who is interested and anyone else who flies here regularly.

Here is a couple pics from today:

Think4WD is offline Find More Posts by Think4WD
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:51 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Nice pictures! Really cool seeing someone using this site again

I know it is not a stellar place, but it used to very consistent and convenient. My dad and I used to fly there a LOT!!!

Combat would be fun there for sure!

Chip
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:11 PM
Chino
Joined Aug 2008
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9mustang View Post
Nice pictures! Really cool seeing someone using this site again

I know it is not a stellar place, but it used to very consistent and convenient. My dad and I used to fly there a LOT!!!

Combat would be fun there for sure!

Chip
Thanks man.

Yea I saw a ton of threads about this site but all from like 2005 and earlier. Its 2013 and it appears as not much has changed up there and its still a good slope spot given the right wind. I love to combat and hopefully can get some people to go. I saw they used to have something called Slam Fest up there.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:31 AM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Were you able to drive up? I was there in 2011 (on vacation) and I was able to drive up, but the road was almost overgrown with weeds. I could tell no one had been flying up there in quite awhile from all the weeds on top of the hill.

Not sure about the Slam Fest, we quit flying there before EPP and combat wings became popular (around 1990). I can remember holding some slope races and fun fly's. I can remember one time we had 17 planes in the air at one time sky got crowded quick for this hill. I can remember walking to bottom of that hill on more than one occasion, LOL!

I am kind of surprised that the hill still exists and hasn't been developed. I am very happy this is the case, just surprised. Very glad to still see some open area down there.

Chip
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:03 PM
Chino
Joined Aug 2008
613 Posts
There is a gate but no lock on it and the road has no weeds so it seems well traveled. Alot of people ride horses back there from what I can tell. Ive been hiking up because compared to Temple Hills its an easy stroll lol.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:30 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Looks like a super Ultrabatics / VTPR slope!

Never flown it, mainly know of it from the ISR guys, but it was mainly a place they used for doing test / trim glides as it didn't really offer enough to be worthwhile for their Cajon / Fermin planes.

But - looks totally fun for a low wingloading aerobatics plane! I bet the lift is really smooth and laminar down low by the top of the grass, would be perfect for fin dragging

Next time I'm down that way I'll try to hook up with a local, would be fun to check it out

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by surfimp; Mar 12, 2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Naughty hotlinking of verboten images!! I've been a bad boy...
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:21 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,113 Posts
We always said of "Sandy" (that's the name of the hill by the way) that there is lots of blow and not much go. For light wing loading stuff it's actually ok. It's not that steep so the lift tends to be better out away from the slope where you can hook some thermal component. It is a good spot for combat as retrieval is easy we also ran some slope races there back in the day. The old ISR club hill is MUCH better. That hill is located just North of the Riverside Airport and it sits above Indian Hills golf course. Way better lift but I'm not even sure you can get up there any more. The road got so bad a few years ago that we quit going up there.
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:33 PM
Chino
Joined Aug 2008
613 Posts
That's why I want to combat there because retrieval is easy.... TFLG wanna combat there anytime?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:01 AM
Team member-One day PSS Build!
Corona, CA.
Joined Sep 2003
1,445 Posts
La Sierra is a very nice, easy to fly, easy to retrieve hill, great for combat, testing, light aircract and YES Steve would be great for light aerobatics stuff. That's where I used to fly a lot of my Falcon flying wings and such. It is NOT a great place for Slopescale stuff, other than really light ones, but still provides a really nice low angle slope. Brian and I flew there for a long time...
Carlski is offline Find More Posts by Carlski
Old Mar 12, 2013, 07:47 PM
Chino
Joined Aug 2008
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlski View Post
La Sierra is a very nice, easy to fly, easy to retrieve hill, great for combat, testing, light aircract and YES Steve would be great for light aerobatics stuff. That's where I used to fly a lot of my Falcon flying wings and such. It is NOT a great place for Slopescale stuff, other than really light ones, but still provides a really nice low angle slope. Brian and I flew there for a long time...
SO when you wanna combat?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:02 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4WD View Post
SO when you wanna combat?
We have nothing to combat with. All our stuff is glass.
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:36 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Combat is soooo 2003 LOL

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:57 PM
Chino
Joined Aug 2008
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
Combat is soooo 2003 LOL

Steve
Is it? Man that sucks cause I love it.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:28 PM
Aerobatics!
United States, CA, Big Bear Lake
Joined Nov 2007
2,463 Posts
You have to learn how to fly pumps if you want to roll with the ISR

I still haven't figured it out yet
JGAF is offline Find More Posts by JGAF
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:49 PM
Chino
Joined Aug 2008
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGAF View Post
You have to learn how to fly pumps if you want to roll with the ISR

I still haven't figured it out yet
Whats that? Im not sure the ISR is even still around?