HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2013, 08:27 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,601 Posts
I wrote to that guy to ask permission to cut his design but he never responded.

Too bad, I hear some guys in St Louis are having a great time with it and do Air Shows
in their local area .

That design has the motor on top of the head
as opposed to Hidden in the INSIDE of the body like the Flyguys do.

The 15 deg sides on Flyguys always kept me from considering doing the
knees like you suggested, but hey, on second thought, Why Not ?

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:33 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
my 31's all fly with a hinge at the knee. Works fine. I have seen skyman close up and I think flyguy is a far better design.
Ospreyman is offline Find More Posts by Ospreyman
Old Oct 13, 2013, 05:22 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
I know it's related to Flyguy 62 and not 31, but I thought I would share a slight modification I have made. My head graphics are printed onto plain paper, then laminated, then cut out to fit. Unfortunately ,over the passage of time and many , many landings in wet grass, my nose and chin are suffering from water ingress. ( actually it has turned them green so we could call it Kryptonite poisoning). To try and keep the chin out of the wet grass I have come up with "chin wheel" This is held in the up position by a 9g servo and when the gear switch is flipped, a rubber band swings the wheel into position. The pics explain it better
Old Oct 13, 2013, 05:57 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,356 Posts
Is the 9 gm pulling a pin of some sort to release the wheel?
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Oct 13, 2013, 08:04 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Simpler than that. When the servo output arm is horizontal it rests just beneath the wheel, holding it in place. When the switch is flipped the output arm moves vertically down (middle picture) , allowing the wheel to be pulled down
Old Oct 13, 2013, 09:42 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospreyman View Post
Simpler than that. When the servo output arm is horizontal it rests just beneath the wheel, holding it in place. When the switch is flipped the output arm moves vertically down (middle picture) , allowing the wheel to be pulled down
I like. Nice elegant solution.
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2013, 06:42 AM
Joined Aug 1999
2,356 Posts
Is the servo loaded by the wheel. Is it drawing current to keep it up?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 07:33 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss View Post
Is the servo loaded by the wheel. Is it drawing current to keep it up?
The way that the wheel is spring loaded with the rubber band there is very little force acting upon the servo so the drain would be minimal.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:19 AM
Joined Aug 1999
2,356 Posts
smart
Old Oct 15, 2013, 05:00 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,297 Posts
My Flyguy is very hard to control in that he's pretty unresponsive. Throw the stick far over wait a few seconds, and he starts a gentle turn.

I'm wondering if maybe I'm nose-heavy?
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Oct 16, 2013, 07:41 AM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,601 Posts
Are your controls TIGHT ?

Rods cant be allowed to bend either.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 09:19 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
My Flyguy is very hard to control in that he's pretty unresponsive. Throw the stick far over wait a few seconds, and he starts a gentle turn.

I'm wondering if maybe I'm nose-heavy?
Others can chime in but I've found that the farther forward the CG the more response you have. As you move CG to the rear, torque becomes more apparent and you will lose turning ability to both sides but usually it will be apparent to one side first. When the CG is in the right location, you should have a little up in both feet.

Things to check include the side angles; are they 15 degrees? If not, he will not turn. CG; is it in the right location? Check the appropriate build log since I updated CGs since the original postings. Are the control linkages tight? Do you have enough throw? Are you using servos with enough torque? If this is all good, move the CG forward a little at a time and you should see a change in turn performance.
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2013, 03:22 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,297 Posts
I'll check it all out once I get him glued back together ... again.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:32 AM
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
A New Guy in the fleet

Hey Guys, I have another addition to the fleet!.
While I was flying spiderman a pal said " hey, when he's right overhead he looks like a skydiver". That got me thinking so I'm calling the latest---- Sky-Diver!!!

I wanted to try and do a full head flyguy so I could realistically fit a mask to him. I built the lower head with a .8mm ply core for strength and then glued some scrap blue foam to either side and shaped it with a scalpel and sandpaper. The mask is just a piece of Alu litho plate bent round into an oval and pushed into the foam. The top of the head was made from laminations of Depron hollowed out for the Lipo

I wanted to try and give him some divers fins but I was unsure how this would affect stability etc. Taking a flyguy who i knew flew well -Spiderman- I taped two pieces of depron to his toes and tried it. Hey, it worked, the depron just flapped up and down in the breeze and he flew fine.

I reshaped the foot to look like a divers by cutting off the toes and replacing them with clear acetate to replace the lost side area. I think it looks quite convincing.

The air tank is just a cruciform of depron and looks like a tank when its in the air. The air hoses are rubber tube for diesel fuel.

AUW is 242 grams about 10 grams heavier than spidey

I painted only the top of the hands and fins green , this helps with orientation.

And he flew.... just fine until the lousy cheap esc gave up. Soon as I get a replacement I'll get someone to video it.

What a blast!!!!!! looks really spooky in the air
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:10 AM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,601 Posts
i like it

Those Sky Divers with the Wing Suites might make another interesting Subject
and add a little Wing area to the mix.

Bob