HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:25 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocowboy View Post
Hah. Yeah, I was excited that the only Guardian source I could find was in San Antonio - cheap shipping was quick, for sure!

Gig 'Em!
I just bought another. Thanks for the research.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:31 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchldpy View Post
readymaderc.com
dpcav.com
rctoys.com
to name a few, also more on e/t's website

michael

** This poster was Awarded 1 point for... wait this isn't hobbyking, never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocowboy View Post
I got mine from hobbywireless.com. Last week when I ordered they were the only dealer with the Guardian in stock (and they still show stock).
Thanks, 2 ordered from hobbywireless.com
ForceFedDSM is offline Find More Posts by ForceFedDSM
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:39 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesodell View Post
On my plane with 2 elev servos i just use to servo from diffant mangf that went in diffrent direction to start with like a jr on one side and futaba on the other
Do they have the exact same amount of travel for the same servo pulse?

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:02 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,719 Posts
How to reverse a servo.

I could tell you to reverse the two motor leads and the two outside pot leads but these days most everyone seems to need a video so here you go.

How to Manually Reverse a Servo (3 min 58 sec)

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:20 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
How to reverse a servo.

I could tell you to reverse the two motor leads and the two outside pot leads but these days most everyone seems to need a video so here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnd1zwouWV4

Charles
Charles,

Nice video link, thanks.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:59 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Checked at Servo City and a hitec HS 5485HB digital servo is like $25
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-5485hb_servo.html

and their programmer is like $70

http://www.servocity.com/html/hfp-25...rogrammer.html
Hitec actually make 2 other programmers $27 to use with computer "field programmer" $51. Not fancy as their fully digital LCD display one.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:03 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,719 Posts
Thanks but my responce was to this post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1486

where he stated that digitals were $120 each.

All goes back to my prior statement that if one purchases / creates very expensive models why should they be concerned with paying $50 for servo matchers and such.

Charles
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:43 AM
The Shetland Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Lerwick
Joined Jun 2008
550 Posts
I had my FMS Cessna 1400mm out in crazy winds yesterday, just to see if the Guardian could cope! Wind was SE 15 knots with gusts measured to 25 - I really shouldn't have been out!

Take off was a bit hairy with the poor aircraft rising vertical and going backwards, but once under control she flew amazing, in fact it was great fun flying in winds that previously would have grounded me. OK, it was a bit extreme and not something I'll make a habit of - 10 to 15 knots is a realistic maximum for a 1.5Kg aircraft even with the Guardian... Slow upwind fly-by's at 3/4 throttle looked fantastic, I even braved some low passes and she was as solid as a rock. Downwind at 3/4 throttle and she was going like a rocket.

Normally after an 8 minute flight I have about 11.5v in a 2200mAh 3S LiPo, but only had 11.0v after a 6 minute flight - boy those servos must have been working overtime!

As for landing, well it was a greaser; 1/2 throttle to the flair and she landed at slow walking speed. The Guardian kept the wings and pitch just perfect all the way down final - great stuff!
RoryG is online now Find More Posts by RoryG
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:59 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
753 Posts
you need to wipe that silly grin off your face
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:46 AM
The Shetland Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Lerwick
Joined Jun 2008
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchldpy View Post
you need to wipe that silly grin off your face
It's harder than you think to wipe off the grin! Guardian has revolutionised my flying - far less grounded days due to wind
RoryG is online now Find More Posts by RoryG
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:10 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,414 Posts
[QUOTE=ricoalonso;22398911]I somewhat agree that the Guardian could have made to read and store the max limits set at the Tx during setup and use these values for its own operation. But, it is not the way it was programmed and Instead it gives the user the option to adjust these values manually during setup. Personally, I don't consider this a flaw... just a matter of preference and for easier programmin

[QUOTE=RoryG;22431976]It's harder than you think to wipe off the grin! Guardian has revolutionised my flying - far less grounded days due to wind [/

Flying in 10-15 mph windy days is a breeze (excuse the pun). Yes the flat bottom Superfly and FFF flat bottom wing will climb in the wind, but that is easy to compensate for now that Guardian makes a 15-20 oz. foam plane stable on a windy day. I shut off the Guardian on an upwind leg to see the difference. Well, the difference was shocking. The plane climbed like crazy and was tossed around unbelievably. I re-engaged 2D mode and it leveled right out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:22 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryG View Post
It's harder than you think to wipe off the grin! Guardian has revolutionised my flying - far less grounded days due to wind
Months ago during my early beta testing I posted that the Guardian 2D /3D was worth the cost if only used during take offs and landings as it permited flying on days that would otherwise ground you.

I actually looked forward to days when the wind was fairly strong ,gusty and switching directions a lot so that I could play in it with my very light wing loaded Lil Banchee 3D. In the past when winds reached 6 or 8 MPH I chose not to fly it as it was rather more like work than fun. With Guardian 2D/3D I not only flew in 12 MPH plus gusty winds but launched in 3D mode upright,inverted,tilted to side as in knife edge,hovered at all 4 different 90degree angles to the wind, flew upwind went into a hover turned lose of sticks and let it blow to then past me till it was downwind at limits of my comfort zone.

Knife edge passes back and forth parallel to the runway with a 90 degree cross wind were super easy using only throttle and rudder.

Landing were all non events in either 3D or 2D mode only requiring throttle and elevator.

Charles
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:36 AM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,474 Posts
Was flying my flat foamy in 12-15mph wind last night. Guardian was all the time set to 3D Direct Rate with HH disabled.
32 SBach (5 min 54 sec)
ricoalonso is online now Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:46 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
Was flying my flat foamy in 12-15mph wind last night. Guardian was all the time set to 3D Direct Rate with HH disabled.
http://youtu.be/PSAJTNn5p_w
Very cool. At 4:12 I thought you were going to nail the power lines or pole. You can see the wind carry it downwind like a banshee. Nice flying. Now I want to build up one of the HL flat foamy kits I have sitting in a box on the "to be built shelf."

Question: Why no heading hold?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:12 AM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Very cool. At 4:12 I thought you were going to nail the power lines or pole. You can see the wind carry it downwind like a banshee. Nice flying. Now I want to build up one of the HL flat foamy kits I have sitting in a box on the "to be built shelf."

Question: Why no heading hold?
Thanks.

As for HH, I tried it more than once while I was testing the unit but personally, it caused me to develop a bad habit... letting go of the stick... and when I go back to my other 3D balsa planes, I forget ... so now, I just keep the Direct Rate with no HH. It gives me a feeling of still full control over the plane and yet the effects of the wind is very minimal, if any.

The 2D on the other hand is very good for teaching new flyers. I had my grandson use it in a trainer. First time he ever flew an RC plane and I just reminded him to let go of the stick when he is in trouble and fly high. No traning cord at all, I just stay by his side, in case. Of course, I had the model trimmed properly and the Guardian setup and test flown myself before I gave it to him.
ricoalonso is online now Find More Posts by ricoalonso