HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2011, 02:31 PM
Joined Jun 2010
89 Posts
Discussion
ContourHD Vs Go Pro HD

Hi all. I have been reading threads on this group because I want to do some AV. I was thinking that I would get either a Contour HD or a GoPro HD camera. But after reading several threads I have noticed that not many use the Contour while a lot of people use the GoPro. Is there a reason for this? The contour seems a lot more aerodynamic. What am I missing here?
5artist5 is offline Find More Posts by 5artist5
Last edited by 5artist5; Aug 31, 2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Grammar
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:01 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,368 Posts
Well, it is light and it takes crystal clear videos! My personal opinion is, I don't like the fish eye lens, it's not natural. But, that being said, a lot of folks love the little camera and it is a great camera!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:11 PM
United States, OK, Nowata
Joined Apr 2003
217 Posts
Minus the waterproof housing,the GoPro is smaller and lighter. Some people use it this way. I use the housing,in case of a mis-hap. Back when I bought my GoPro,it and the Contour were around the same price. Now it seems like you can get the Contour a lot cheaper,which would make it a more attractive choice. I'd like to try one. Some of the videos I've seen,the Contour has a little blurriness at the edges.
jeffsend is offline Find More Posts by jeffsend
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:16 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
I have the Contour 1080p, mainly because it was cheaper than the Go Pro. Got it on sale for $150. It does allow you to change the resolution and wide angle lens, but only from the PC app. One nice feature is that you can rotate the lens 90 degrees either way. It is only water resistant, not waterproof, but you can add a case of needed just like the Go Pro.
http://contour.com/products/contour-hd/specs
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Last edited by Pierre Audette; Aug 31, 2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:24 PM
Joined May 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird View Post
Well, it is light and it takes crystal clear videos! My personal opinion is, I don't like the fish eye lens, it's not natural. But, that being said, a lot of folks love the little camera and it is a great camera!
I don't care for the fisheye on the gopro either. In several threads, fix for this was discussed. Was there ever a good solution?
Big Plane dude is offline Find More Posts by Big Plane dude
Old Aug 31, 2011, 04:04 PM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,797 Posts
Like everything, it depends on how you define a good solution.

I installed the Sunex lens on the GoPro, it gets rid of the fisheye, I think it has better contrast and it works well. However, its a longer lens so it doesn't fit in the waterproof case and it has a narrower FOV which makes it much more sensitive to vibration and movement. So its a less forgiving solution which requires smooth conditions and your quad needs to be well balanced with little to no vibration if you want to shoot 1080P 30 fps.

It really depends on how you want to use it.

Here's a GoPro with Sunex lens attached directly to a quad. I edited it together with some footage shot with a 7D to see how it compared. If your entire video is shot with Contour or GoPro and only shown on the Internet I think you can get away with the quality, but if you edit it together with footage shot on a DSLR and viewed on a large display I think the quality is questionable.

El Campeon Farms Aerial (3 min 26 sec)
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:01 PM
Joined Oct 2008
118 Posts
Wow great video!
datapolo is offline Find More Posts by datapolo
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:56 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
I have both, did a walking side by side test with them, but it was late evening and the gopro did better in the low light. Soon hope to have a side by side flight video if I ever find the time.

BB was selling the 1080HD for $149 and I had a $50 gift card from them, so it was a no brainer at the time. Then they kept that price on for awhile so I was thinking they must be coming out with a new model and are trying to move the old stock, but haven't heard or seen anything yet.

Got another $50 cert for BB and heading there tomorrow, probably put it towards the LCD backpack for my HD hero - will be an asset for my tripod time lapses
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:40 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
I have both, did a walking side by side test with them, but it was late evening and the gopro did better in the low light.
With the Contour, you may need to adjust manually the contrast/exposure/sharpness beforehand:
http://support.contour.com/contour/t...s_on_my_camera
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:03 PM
Joined Jun 2008
339 Posts
How about the Camsport Hd 720?
aeropics is offline Find More Posts by aeropics
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:53 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,368 Posts
If I could afford a GoPro with a sunex lens I'd get one! That was absolutely wonderful!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Sep 05, 2011, 10:12 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Audette View Post
With the Contour, you may need to adjust manually the contrast/exposure/sharpness beforehand:
http://support.contour.com/contour/t...s_on_my_camera

but at least you can adjust the settings. where as a gopro will simply screw you over trying to expose bright objects on the top half of the screen (sky) on an moving average over seconds.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Sep 09, 2011, 04:41 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,606 Posts
Seen today an announcement about a new flavor of Contour never heard so far.
http://contour.com/products/contour-roam

It is missing 60fps, but hey, it's only $199 ! It can change the market a bit...
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Sep 09, 2011, 02:08 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Well, finally got around to flying again, this time I was able to mount Gopro and Contour side by side in bright daylight. Though there are some aspects of the Contour I like better like the FOV for example, I have to give the Gopro the definate edge here.

Both are shot at 720p 60fps, the Contour seems more susceptible to jello as you can see a small amount whereas the gopro has none. My prop likely need a rebalance though from my last crash, so I'll see how it is after that. Also noticed a couple of vertical lines showed up on the contour. Contour also had less lens flare, but I imagine that is due to the extra layer the Gopro has with the protective case. Actually in some cases I think the lens flare on the Gopro looks kind of cool..

Anyway, judge for yourself..Gopro is on the left

Gopro and Contour HD comparison (7 min 46 sec)
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Sep 09, 2011, 07:52 PM
Joined Mar 2010
132 Posts
- ContourHD is around $100 cheaper than GoProHD and both offer 1920x1080 resolution

Both can do live streams, but there is one fundamental difference:

GoPro is about $200-240 right now but offers live video out in both composite and component output

versus...ContourHD and the $400-500 model Contour+, only had HDMI out. Which means you can't ever use it for FPV...unless you plan on putting a HDMI-component video box on your plane.

Quality Demo: GoProHD vs Contour vs Drift
Comparison Drift HD170 vs Contour HD vs GoPro HD | Action Cameras South Africa (3 min 34 sec)
AeroWRX is offline Find More Posts by AeroWRX