HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:08 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
Thought so (52 years). I started earlier than that and had to do it on my own as we were out in the country with few to talk to about model planes. I read books and shared what knowledge I acquired. Now I'm back into it (model aircraft) I realise there are two things - flying and building. Not being able to do the first makes the second a bit pointless in the end. I also appreciate the changes in technology that make life so much easier and more fun.

Jealousy. He needs to remember the relevant bits - being able (skill) to fly. Building ones own can come as interest grows. As it is I still sketch my own plans and build, and read, and try to gain some flying skills (and wait for the next package from China).

So what else has he done? What other things (not necessarily model planes) has he designed and built? Or has it become a dead end for him?

Now you are into computer programming. Been there too.
Yeah but now you can blame the darn computer for crashing the plane.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:43 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
Well I maidened my Sky Surfer for the first time but it was very windy. First 2 launches hit the dirt nose first. Then I realized my elevator was reversed. Changed that in my DX8 and relaunched. It was a battle with the wind but it was flying pretty well for as much wind as we had. It was to windy to to tell if it was nose heavy or how it really handled so I will have to wait for a calmer day. Unfortunatley I lost my prop spinner high in the sky and need to get a replacement. Did find the prop, the plane really glides well was one of my best landings. Any suggestions on the prop spinner would be great!
TCJ4 is offline Find More Posts by TCJ4
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:15 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Yeah but now you can blame the darn computer for crashing the plane.
It costs good money finding someone or something else to blame...

As for the prop falling off and having to land with out using the motor, that's got to say something. Often the less you do during landing the better.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
ccsj
Here's a couple of posts re DX6i power settings
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1653397
I changed my UK sourced DX6i to the US power setting and never had any range issues. Bought a 2nd hand DX7 as needed more model memories and had a fly away. Now have a DX8 (lost my DX7 in a fire) but UK sourced versions don't allow users to change to the higher US power settings. So far, so good but not really tested at any distance as still building up my fleet (also lost 20+ models in fire)
Andy
Andy, Thanks. I've also been reading this up the past few days. I flew my repaired Bixler today with US power setting and she was flawless after I got all the trims dialed in. With all the tapes/glue/coins to correct CG, she is now just over 1000g. Still has good power but does not glide so well with 0 throttle. I'm amazed by how tough this plane is. I'm a true believer that you can't kill the Bixler!!
ccsj is online now Find More Posts by ccsj
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:49 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsj View Post
Andy, I'm a true believer that you can't kill the Bixler!!
Untill it happens you mean.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCJ4 View Post
Well I maidened my Sky Surfer for the first time but it was very windy. First 2 launches hit the dirt nose first. Then I realized my elevator was reversed. Changed that in my DX8 and relaunched. It was a battle with the wind but it was flying pretty well for as much wind as we had. It was to windy to to tell if it was nose heavy or how it really handled so I will have to wait for a calmer day. Unfortunatley I lost my prop spinner high in the sky and need to get a replacement. Did find the prop, the plane really glides well was one of my best landings. Any suggestions on the prop spinner would be great!
Same thing happened to me on my second flight. Prop and spinner went one way the plane the other. Unfortunately it hit a tree and then a fence and then the ground. I thought I caused the crash. Now I just make sure the spinner is tight before I fly.

As for the replacement. If it is a V1, V2 or V3 the shaft should be 2.3mm I think it went to 3mm for the V4. You should measure it anyway.

You can get all the hardware from this website.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ers/Categories

Vince
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
It costs good money finding someone or something else to blame...

As for the prop falling off and having to land with out using the motor, that's got to say something. Often the less you do during landing the better.
The SS is an amazing smooth glider and will land without power if there aren't a lot of trees and things in the way to hit.

But landing without power on the first day of flying it is either great piloting or dumb luck.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Untill it happens you mean.
How many have you buried Limited?
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:35 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epyonxero View Post
Seriously!?

This is why I fly on my own and refuse to join a club. I can fly what I want, when I want to and dont have to worry about other peoples biases or ego. That kind of attitude is why RC clubs and the AMA are going extinct.
While I too do not like the attitude and biases that some clubs practice, there is and will always be a need for RC Flying Clubs. Parks and empty fields may impose limits on the type of aircraft that can be flown there. But a club with a good site, runway and proper safety rules can broaden the choice of air frame and power plant significantly. Jets, Giant Scale, etc. etc.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:23 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
How many have you buried Limited?
That would be thrice for me. 1, rookie mistake,[s]2, got to cocky.3. signal loss from a crappy hk orange dsm2 clone, but not to worry, over a hundered successful flights inbetween all that though.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:27 AM
Russia, Moscow
Joined Jun 2010
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSprite View Post
I'm trying to find a motor for the bixler.
Would this be suitable?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ehouse%5F.html?
I use this motor coupled with 6x3 prop on my Bixler.
Power source - 3s 2250 Rhino
Flying weight - 730 gr
Current at FOT is 18A

I tried also 6x4 prop (I noticed no difference between 6x3 and 6x4 in thrust but current was a bit more in second case and pitch speed was a little more too, so I recommend 6x3 prop).

I cut about 10 mm of foam and made plywood motor mount (trying to keep motor spindle angle as intended by designer).
As a bonus you can change motor spindle angle adding more nuts (or washers).

You should use thread lock to fix each nut.
ivanko2 is offline Find More Posts by ivanko2
Last edited by ivanko2; Aug 08, 2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:47 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanko2 View Post
Flying weight - 730 gr
Current at FOT is 18A

I tried also 6x4 prop (I noticed no difference between 6x3 and 6x4 in thrust but current was a bit more in second case and pitch speed was a little more too, so I recommend 6x3 prop).

I cut about 10 mm of foam and made plywood motor mount (trying to keep motor spindle angle as intended by designer).

Why do you use a prop saver on a pusher?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:19 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
Makes changing props much quicker if you are trying different ones. Not sure about the need for 2 prop savers though as this will slow up the process.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:22 AM
Russia, Moscow
Joined Jun 2010
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Why do you use a prop saver on a pusher?
It's more lightweight than colet,
there isn't risk to broke aluminium spindle when you change prop (if you tighten colet nut too much)
it's balanced well enough
it's cheaper
at last I had had it at hand when i needed it (spare parts fom my deceased BMI Arrow)

Quote:
Makes changing props much quicker if you are trying different ones.
Andy
Yes
Quote:
Not sure about the need for 2 prop savers though as this will slow up the process.
Andy
Me too. :-)
Only one adapter is used for purpose (rear one). Second one (front) is a part of motor rotor and is not used because prop precision surface is on the rear side (I use stardard prop). If you use pusher prop (with precision side on front side) you can use rotor mounted adapter (front one, as it was intended by motor designer)
ivanko2 is offline Find More Posts by ivanko2
Last edited by ivanko2; Aug 08, 2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:39 AM
Australia, ACT, Campbell
Joined Aug 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanko2 View Post
Flying weight - 730 gr
Current at FOT is 18A

I've adopted a similar approach using the AXN2208; I've adapted antennahead's UMM (#81) with a piece of ply recessed 12mm inside (from stock aft) of the moulding. Question - If the prop is now 45-50 mm further back than stock, will this have an effect on CoG and pitch (and how would I recalculate CoG)?
Mistimeanors is offline Find More Posts by Mistimeanors
Last edited by Mistimeanors; Aug 08, 2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Qn on recalculating coG