HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
572 Posts
Yea, I had a stall in my build also, but got out last night and got the nacelles and mounts built. I hope to get more done this weekend also.
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:06 PM
United States, CO, Castle Rock
Joined Dec 2009
124 Posts
Thought I would post some recent pictures. I still need to add lots of detail, pave pod, emblems, etc...

Life has been crazy so I haven't been able to post.... I spent some time last weekend and did more sanding and painting. I also built and mounted the wing fillets.

I keep experimenting with colors and other adjustments. Too much it seems. I just cant seem to find the right color. Oh well...

Tonight I vacuum formed a canopy over a plug just to see how it looks. It was my first formed canopy so I think its ok for now.

I haven't flown it for over two weeks. Its still fun to cruise around even though she is work in progress. We got some snow so I may be out of luck flying it anytime soon. Still, she floats in nice and lands gentle.

I do need to upgrade to 70mm fans someday. Especially since she is nearly 5ft on the WS. I may just leave the 64's in her and upgrade to 4s. But since HP cant keep batteries in stock I'll hold off for a now. The retracts I want are also MIA....

frustrating....
bamiller is offline Find More Posts by bamiller
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Feb 2012
572 Posts
Glad to see the pics, its looking nice. If I ever get the maiden in on my 50mm I can move on to detailing. Keep us posted on your progress. Greg
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Dec 2009
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt599 View Post
Glad to see the pics, its looking nice. If I ever get the maiden in on my 50mm I can move on to detailing. Keep us posted on your progress. Greg
Good to hear from you Greg...! Hope your all ready for the Holidays. Have you made any progress on your build?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Feb 2012
572 Posts
My A10 is all ready for a maiden but our weather has been s! Then all that is left is final paint and the nose gun. As soon as I get a break in the weather I will try to post a vid. Been thinking about a twin 90mm? maybe this spring Happy Holidays Greg
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Dec 2009
124 Posts
Yah.... Our weather has been cold and snowy. Most the days my runways are covered with powder.

I did manage to fly the morning of Christmas Eve and had a great time. Still flys super gentle and handles great at 1/2 throttle.

I need to make a few minor repairs to the nose due to a rough landing. There was a small patch of rough ice that took out the main gear once the nose touched down. Minimal damage.

I am still looking for those retracts to come in at HP. I may just have to purchase from HK and deal with the long delivery.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Feb 2012
572 Posts
I think the retracts would work great on there.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:18 AM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Jan 2013
130 Posts
How did you get the "up" angle in the wing? What i mean is when you look at the a-10 head on the wings come out straight but then angle up? Sorry dont know the exact terms.
lardo5150 is offline Find More Posts by lardo5150
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:33 PM
United States, IL, Northbrook
Joined Sep 2011
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
How did you get the "up" angle in the wing? What i mean is when you look at the a-10 head on the wings come out straight but then angle up? Sorry dont know the exact terms.
dihederal
Dirty Dee is offline Find More Posts by Dirty Dee
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:24 PM
Joined Dec 2009
124 Posts
Quote:
Greetings lardo5150...! Ok bear with me.... :-)

For a wing like the A-10, you make it in sections. So this for example would be hot wired in 3 separate sections. (Left Wing - Mid Section - Right Wing)

Take the left and right wing, one at a time, lay them on a bench top flat, then slide the wing until the root edge is flush with the edge of the table. Then (depending on your scale needs and angle of dihedral, place a 1/2 in of foam or shim under the far wing tip. This will lift the wing up causing the root edge to be angled, extending it "oh so slightly" off the edge of the bench.

Again, keeping the base of the root edge flush with the table, (remember the wing will be angled now) take a sanding block and sand it back and forth until its flush again and back to 90 degrees. When your done and you lay your wing back flat on the table, you can see that edge has an angle to it.

Repeat the process with the other wing. When you are done and you line up the Left and Right wings with the mid wing, they will need to angle up to become "flush" with the mid wing.

From there you can epoxy and cf reinforce them with whatever method your familiar with. (Make sure you brace each wing tip at the same height while gluing so that they are even)

Its hard to explain but I hope it makes sense for you. If not let me know or send me a PM.

Good luck!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:04 AM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Jan 2013
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamiller View Post
Greetings lardo5150...! Ok bear with me.... :-)

For a wing like the A-10, you make it in sections. So this for example would be hot wired in 3 separate sections. (Left Wing - Mid Section - Right Wing)

Take the left and right wing, one at a time, lay them on a bench top flat, then slide the wing until the root edge is flush with the edge of the table. Then (depending on your scale needs and angle of dihedral, place a 1/2 in of foam or shim under the far wing tip. This will lift the wing up causing the root edge to be angled, extending it "oh so slightly" off the edge of the bench.

Again, keeping the base of the root edge flush with the table, (remember the wing will be angled now) take a sanding block and sand it back and forth until its flush again and back to 90 degrees. When your done and you lay your wing back flat on the table, you can see that edge has an angle to it.

Repeat the process with the other wing. When you are done and you line up the Left and Right wings with the mid wing, they will need to angle up to become "flush" with the mid wing.

From there you can epoxy and cf reinforce them with whatever method your familiar with. (Make sure you brace each wing tip at the same height while gluing so that they are even)

Its hard to explain but I hope it makes sense for you. If not let me know or send me a PM.

Good luck!
That makes sense! Do you have a pick of the underneath and how it is braced?
lardo5150 is offline Find More Posts by lardo5150
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:54 AM
Joined Dec 2009
124 Posts
Quote:
That makes sense! Do you have a pick of the underneath and how it is braced?
Sure! Today I will take a picture and send you a few more details.

I love this plane... the way the wing looks, how it feels on landing... it looks so cool and floats down like a feather.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:05 AM
Joined Dec 2009
124 Posts
Sorry I didn't post back to you earlier. Life got in the way.... :-)

I don't really have good pics of each step by step process. But you can take a look at a messy installation of a carbon fiber rod on a test wing before the glue was smoothed out. It should give you an idea. Just remember, you don't need a lot of glue for a CF rod. A light dab of epoxy or hot glue will do the trick along the rod. This wing worked fine once completed.

But to join each wing together I use the following solid solution.

1. On each wing root, bore our a small 1/8 hole or make a hole plug about 4 inches deep into the wing. I use a sharpened brass tube to bore the hole. Do this for each wing you have to attach together. Make sure the holes line up together so when the wings are joined, they are aligned.

2. Take bamboo skewers (look for the 1/8 size), make sure they are straight and cut them to the proper length needed. They will be used to tie each wing together. You of course are free to use CF rod or whatever. But bamboo is strong and super cheap. I've yet to have a wing snap in half or break at a joining seam.

3. Using 5 min epoxy, dab each cut piece of bamboo with epoxy and apply epoxy along the root edge as well.

4. Hook them together and give them a tight press. Smooth out any epoxy that comes outside the seams. Apply tape if you need to keep something aligned. Set it on a table, make sure the wing is even and flush at all leading and trailing edges and that the proper dihedral for both wing tips is equal.

5. Once dry I cut a small channel for my CF rod the length I need. Use a soldering knife to make a nice smooth channel. Be careful not to over burn your channel making it too wide. You want a tight fit. Fit in your CF rod with a dab of epoxy or hot glue.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:10 PM
Joined Dec 2009
124 Posts
Brief Flight Video

After the faulty receiver crash.... I got things back together and took it out today to see how it would fly. I need use more weight up front but it still flies nice. I haven't flown it for quite some time so I was nervous and it was windy. Landing was rusty and I porpoised it pretty bad. Its still stable and just doesn't want to come down. I may put flaps on it. Nonetheless its still a keeper

There was another guy at the field with a camera so he was kind enough to share some video of it....

complete homemade Rc A10 super nice flyer (3 min 18 sec)
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:16 PM
Joined Feb 2012
572 Posts
Nice to see it in flight, looks like it flies great, it does sound windy, flying season is just around the corner though Im ashamed to say that I have yet to maiden my 50mm I hope mine flies as well as yours. Greg