Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 09, 2005, 07:04 PM
Aristhrottle
Joined Dec 2004
142 Posts
.049 stunt

Can the .049 be modified to be fitted to an external tank? Maybe a small balloon tank? Please graphic me.
elaerico is offline Find More Posts by elaerico
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2005, 11:31 AM
Aristhrottle
Joined Dec 2004
142 Posts
.049 Supplementary Fuel Tank

Can the Thimble Drome or Baby Bee .049 be modified to be fitted to an external tank? Maybe a small balloon tank? Please graphic me.
Old May 10, 2005, 12:05 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,397 Posts
Which 049 are you talking about?
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old May 10, 2005, 12:52 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,397 Posts
Is this the same engine as you asked in the other post?

Yes you can fit another tank. You need to remove the tank from the engine being careful to keep the parts clean and dust free. You will need to drill a hole, the diameter of the fuel tubing you will use, in the tank which is fitted to the engine. Alternatively, get a tank from an old 049 which you will be happier drilling a hole in (that's what I did). Now turn it so the new hole is underneath and re-fit it to your engine and fit the fuel tubing to the existing fuel tube to the engine at the same time. You then ignore the original tank and fit any sort which you want to the other end of the tubing.

As you can see in the pic below, the engine can be fitted sideways or inverted. As long as the fuel pickup is not inverted you should have no problems. The height of the fuel level in your new tank should be the same as the original - that is with the centreline of the crankshaft at the same height as the middle of the new tank.

Be careful not to use too large a tank - they run forever on very little fuel.
Old May 10, 2005, 02:58 PM
Aristhrottle
Joined Dec 2004
142 Posts
Yes, but how can I do to fit a fuel tank but withaut drill the original tank (thimble drome)?
Old May 10, 2005, 04:20 PM
Aristhrottle
Joined Dec 2004
142 Posts
.049 Baby bee 2

Can the Thimble Drome or Baby Bee .049 be modified to be fitted to an external tank but how can I do this withaut drill the original tank (thimble drome)?? Maybe a small balloon tank? Please graphic me.
Old May 10, 2005, 04:35 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,302 Posts
Please don't flood the forums with multiple threads. It's against the rules. Start one only and keep posting in it. You can also edit your post to add/delete/change the information in it. Be patient if you don't get an answer right away - someone will eventually chime in and post an answer or an oppinion. If you started a thread in the wrong forum the moderators will move it to the appropriate one.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2005, 04:58 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,397 Posts
You can't do it without modifying the tank. That's why I suggest you try and get an old engine and use that tank, keeping your normal one from the engine in original condition.

I suppose there is another way which might work. If you fill the tank on the engine full to the top, seal off one of the filler tubes and connect the other to the new external tank, then fuel would be taken from the original tank and will be replaced from the external one until it's empty. At that point the internal will then empty and the engine stops? It'a a sort of 'chicken hopper' system.
Old May 11, 2005, 03:01 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,397 Posts
For anyone confused about this, I merged three threads as they are about the same subject.
Last edited by Tony Oliver; May 11, 2005 at 03:04 AM. Reason: changes
Old May 11, 2005, 11:56 AM
Aristhrottle
Joined Dec 2004
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
Please don't flood the forums with multiple threads. It's against the rules. Start one only and keep posting in it. You can also edit your post to add/delete/change the information in it. Be patient if you don't get an answer right away - someone will eventually chime in and post an answer or an oppinion. If you started a thread in the wrong forum the moderators will move it to the appropriate one.
OK, I'm sorry
Old May 11, 2005, 04:30 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,397 Posts
elaerico - no need to be sorry, you just didn't know, and there's no problem with that.

There's no way anyone knows it all after just a few posts.

Old May 11, 2005, 07:13 PM
Aristhrottle
Joined Dec 2004
142 Posts
Here is the solution

The blue thing is silicone or neoprene tubing. One of the vent or breath tube in the original tank it have to be sealed, an the oter tube it have to be at the end of the complementary tank, and this it have 2 vent tubes. It have the same efect of a pressurised tank. It doesn't metter the height of the complementary tank, because the pressure are regulated by the thimble drome. Please repply me if is some thing of you don't understand.
Last edited by elaerico; May 12, 2005 at 11:19 AM.