HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2014, 09:43 AM
I Ain't Got It !
Joined Jul 2012
99 Posts
Discussion
Latecomer to XPS

As I look through the product lists, I "think" I understand what XPS is all about, so I'm wondering if I have this right.
My understanding is:

The now available conversion boards for the various radios all give what is intended to be the exact same control paradigm as the "sometime in the future to be released" XPS-3216 radio box, except using the "other brand" TX instead of the future XPS-3216 radio box.
Is that right?

It doesn't matter whether the host radio is something like the 9 Channel A9 or the 12 Channel EVO 12, you still end up with a 16 Channel radio once the XPS board is installed.
Is that right?

The original nano has been replaced by the nano II, and the nano II is a six channel receiver, period (no more 8+ Channel or more receivers).
I think I have that right for sure.

The X10+ can be used to extend the 6 channel nano II into being a 16 channel combo unit. However, the X10+ can NOT be used as a stand alone receiver.
Is that right?

The RFu is a receiver with NO channel assignments and is really just a front end receiver, period. To get to where you can drive your servo channels, you MUST drive either a nano II off of the RFu (to get a 6 channel receiver), OR, you can drive the X10+ off of the RFu in order to get to a 10 channel receiver.
Is that right?

TIA
Farber is offline Find More Posts by Farber
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:36 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farber View Post
As I look through the product lists, I "think" I understand what XPS is all about, so I'm wondering if I have this right.
My understanding is:

The now available conversion boards for the various radios all give what is intended to be the exact same control paradigm as the "sometime in the future to be released" XPS-3216 radio box, except using the "other brand" TX instead of the future XPS-3216 radio box.
Is that right?
There are currently no conversion boards. We do have transmitter modules that can convert any radio made in the last 40 years so it is on 2.4GHz.

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether the host radio is something like the 9 Channel A9 or the 12 Channel EVO 12, you still end up with a 16 Channel radio once the XPS board is installed.
Is that right?
It's actually up to maximum of 128 channels.

Quote:
The original nano has been replaced by the nano II, and the nano II is a six channel receiver, period (no more 8+ Channel or more receivers).
I think I have that right for sure.
Correct. We do periodically ship original Nanos as we find them in inventory. There is no functional difference between the two.

You can use multiple Nano receivers and bind them as master/slave(s) to give you more than 6 channels too.

Quote:
The X10+ can be used to extend the 6 channel nano II into being a 16 channel combo unit. However, the X10+ can NOT be used as a stand alone receiver.
Is that right?
The X10+ is a channel expander. It takes a serial data stream and outputs any of the channels available on that serial data stream. If your transmitter has 9 channels, you will have all 9 channels available on the X10+, plus two extra outputs that can be duplicates of any of those channels. You can program the X10+ with what we call "channel mapping". This means that any output pin can be any servo channel, including multiples of a same channel. If you wanted all 11 outputs to be channel 3 you could do that. The X10+ is not a stand alone receiver. It requires an input from a receiver with serial data output capabilities.

Quote:
The RFU is a receiver with NO channel assignments and is really just a front end receiver, period. To get to where you can drive your servo channels, you MUST drive either a nano II off of the RFu (to get a 6 channel receiver), OR, you can drive the X10+ off of the RFu in order to get to a 10 channel receiver.
Is that right?
No, that is not quite correct. The RFU is a receiver with a serial data output, designed to be used with any device that uses a serial data stream. It will output our Xtreme protocol, as well as Futaba SBUS and Spektrum satellite protocols. So, you can plug the RFU into any device that can use any of these protocols and use your XtremeLink transmitter module to control it. The X10+ accepts a serial data stream from the RFU (or Nano), or Futaba SBUS/2 receivers, or Spektrum satellite receivers.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:56 AM
I Ain't Got It !
Joined Jul 2012
99 Posts
Thank you, Jim. My follow-up comments below in Blue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
There are currently no conversion boards. We do have transmitter modules that can convert any radio made in the last 40 years so it is on 2.4GHz.

OK, yea, I stated it wrong. I just referred to the modules by the wrong term. So I do essentially have the correct understanding about modules and what they do.

It's actually up to maximum of 128 channels.

Wow, I didn't know that. Very cool!.

Correct. We do periodically ship original Nanos as we find them in inventory. There is no functional difference between the two.
You can use multiple Nano receivers and bind them as master/slave(s) to give you more than 6 channels too.

I did see that the nano/nano II's are stand-along receivers, although I thought that the nano II's were some kind of "new and improved" product and that the original nano could be firmware upgraded to operate like the nano II.
Either way, sounds good.
I also saw that the 6 channel nano's could be ganged and thought that was why 8+ channel receivers weren't necessary (nor offered) anymore.

The X10+ is a channel expander. It takes a serial data stream and outputs any of the channels available on that serial data stream. If your transmitter has 9 channels, you will have all 9 channels available on the X10+, plus two extra outputs that can be duplicates of any of those channels. You can program the X10+ with what we call "channel mapping". This means that any output pin can be any servo channel, including multiples of a same channel. If you wanted all 11 outputs to be channel 3 you could do that. The X10+ is not a stand alone receiver. It requires an input from a receiver with serial data output capabilities.

So I think I had that right. It looks like if all you need is a basic 4 to 6 channel RX, then the nano II would be the economical way to go over the RFU which would require another component in the system.
If a person wanted additional channels, then the RFU/X10+ combo, or a nano II/X10+ combo, would be the way to go because the economics of either of those combinations still appears to put those "systems" at a better price point than most 9+ channel RX's from other brands.

No, that is not quite correct. The RFU is a receiver with a serial data output, designed to be used with any device that uses a serial data stream. It will output our Xtreme protocol, as well as Futaba SBUS and Spektrum satellite protocols. So, you can plug the RFU into any device that can use any of these protocols and use your XtremeLink transmitter module to control it. The X10+ accepts a serial data stream from the RFU (or Nano), or Futaba SBUS/2 receivers, or Spektrum satellite receivers.

So I guess where I'm not quite correct is this: I did understand that the RFU is not a stand-alone receiver, that it cannot drive servos by itself, and that it did need the X10+ to complete a servo-driving "system". However I did not state my understanding that the the RFU will drive other protocols other than just your own X10+ board.
I actually did understand that, but my own intended use would go directly to using only your X10+ board, so I didn't make note that the RFU could drive other systems.
Still liking this so far. Thank you!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:42 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,671 Posts
The RFU can drive SBUS servos directly, so if you had those you could in fact use it as a stand alone receiver without the X10+... but the reason I created the X10+ to begin with is to be able to properly power the servos - not like Futaba recommends through a single servo wire.

The RFU was designed for carbon fiber setups, not really as a replacement for the Nano's role as a serial data stream output.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2014, 02:33 PM
I Ain't Got It !
Joined Jul 2012
99 Posts
Quote:
The RFU can drive SBUS servos directly, so if you had those you could in fact use it as a stand alone receiver without the X10+... but the reason I created the X10+ to begin with is to be able to properly power the servos - not like Futaba recommends through a single servo wire.

The RFU was designed for carbon fiber setups, not really as a replacement for the Nano's role as a serial data stream output.
Ah, that goes to explain a lot and clarifies things in bigger picture way.

TNX
Old Jan 16, 2014, 03:02 PM
I Ain't Got It !
Joined Jul 2012
99 Posts
Sorry to have to tag on another question, but what is the difference between the Xtreme Link Device Programmer and the Serial Link Programmer?

They appear to have similar functions and seem to use the same software package to run them.
Would a person want both or does the Xtreme Link Device Programmer do the same job as the Serial Link Programmer only "more" (or maybe the other way around)?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 03:09 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,144 Posts
all the products that receive signal can be programmed with the XDP (Nano's, RFU, etc) wirelessly... the X10+ can't receive a radio signal itself, so it needs the serial programmer to connect to the computer.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jan 16, 2014, 03:56 PM
I Ain't Got It !
Joined Jul 2012
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
all the products that receive signal can be programmed with the XDP (Nano's, RFU, etc) wirelessly... the X10+ can't receive a radio signal itself, so it needs the serial programmer to connect to the computer.
Oh drat. It would have been great if the Device Programmer had one more port so that it could "do it all", wirelessly or hardwire.

I had to know, though, because I'm planning my XPS budget.

Edit: But wait! If you run the X10+ off of one of the wireless products, then...?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 04:07 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,144 Posts
Quote:
But wait! If you run the X10+ off of one of the wireless products, then...?
...you will end up programming the wireless product and not the X10+

if you want to save a handfull of dollars (not a pile, but a few), a Nano + a Serial link can work together as an XDP.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 04:09 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,683 Posts
Geez Farber - it's taken you all of about eight hours to learn what took me five years to absorb about these excellent products

You will not regret using XPS.
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Jan 17, 2014, 09:26 AM
I Ain't Got It !
Joined Jul 2012
99 Posts
I was kind of hoping to buy into the XPS-3216 which doesn't look like will be available anytime soon, but it looks like you can get all that functionality right now by installing one of the modules into another brand radio, so that's what I'm heading toward.
If ever the XPS-3216 is released, I might not even want one if what I'm flying at that point with an XPS module offers the same functionality.

As far as learning as quickly as possible, my dad always taught me that asking the right questions is the key to a good education. That's served me well so far.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 01:05 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,671 Posts
You'll get the RF benefits with our 2.4GHz module, but not the benefits of all of the features of the transmitter. The transmitter functionality will remain the same.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2014, 07:39 AM
Joined Oct 2010
356 Posts
Quote:
You'll get the RF benefits with our 2.4GHz module, but not the benefits of all of the features of the transmitter. The transmitter functionality will remain the same.
Interesting point. I wonder then, which of the transmitters that you already have modules available for would be the "best and closest" to emulate the XPS-3216 system right now?
A (now obsolete) EVO 12 looks like a good contender for that due to it's many switches and controls.
Treeline is offline Find More Posts by Treeline
Old Jan 18, 2014, 07:59 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeline View Post
Interesting point. I wonder then, which of the transmitters that you already have modules available for would be the "best and closest" to emulate the XPS-3216 system right now?
A (now obsolete) EVO 12 looks like a good contender for that due to it's many switches and controls.
The JR XG11 is the most capable set with speedy internal XPS module. the EVO would be the highest end radio with telemetry baked in. None of these have the voice features to read off values though. In the "not yet completed but in the works" category would be internal module for the Taranis... when done would probably be the closest. I don't know of any other capable systems with a module bay...
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:06 AM
Joined Feb 2004
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
The JR XG11 is the most capable set with speedy internal XPS module. the EVO would be the highest end radio with telemetry baked in. None of these have the voice features to read off values though. In the "not yet completed but in the works" category would be internal module for the Taranis... when done would probably be the closest. I don't know of any other capable systems with a module bay...
Arron.....could you express what you feel is the "Downside" to using the "XPS/JR' external module with the "Taranis"?.....
Thanks
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande