Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
Still crashing everything!
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Mar 2014
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl05 View Post
Just been reading above comments about chargers, which made me wonder what is wrong about the stock charger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line View Post
Maybe nothing if you're happy with it. But:

RTF chargers are cheap black boxes. They give no data and often you don't find out they've gone bad until you've ruined some batteries. Or worse.

Digital chargers display voltage, capacity added, and time of charge. From that you can determine that both charger and battery appear healthy. If you know what your normal numbers are, you'll be alerted when something goes different.

Also if you choose to charge multiple batteries -- with a parallel pigtail for example -- the hobby charger allows you to select a higher charge current appropriate for the number of batteries you're charging.

And of course you can use it for many various batteries if you have more than one toy.
Karl, I'm more in line with the responses that Hard Line gave you over fry178 or Snake Plissken. The B6 gives a lot of flexability and provides useful user data about the condition of the batteries. Its low cost and ease of use make it a good investment.
dteel is offline Find More Posts by dteel
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
United States, MD, Fort Washington
Joined May 2014
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
You will find they're exactly the same
If they absolutely identical, why the difference in price, and even HK says that the "copy" is not the same quality that the genuine B6 has.
I have seen people complaining about batteries getting killed when they used the "copies " of the B6.
Not saying it can't be user error, but that automatically doesnt exclude the hardware.

So unless you have side by side pics of the genuine and the copy showing identical layouts/chips/components..
Thats where i rather spend 10$ more and have a genuine one...

i looked at the price for a unit with ac power at amazon.. clones around 20$, genuine around 40.

sorry guys, was on the bus loosing internet all the time. had to edit a bit.
fry178 is offline Find More Posts by fry178
Last edited by fry178; Yesterday at 06:31 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
Joined Feb 2014
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fry178 View Post
If they absolutely identical, why the difference in price or why not just sell only the cheaper one? Doesnt make sense.

I have seen people complaining about batteries getting killed when they used the "copies " of the B6.
Not saying it can't be user error.

And i looked at the price for a unit with ac power, not the one without..
What proof do you have of the chargers being different?
Do you know they have been doing internal mods to get the charge values correct when getting brand new?
Means changing some caps
So essentially what people are doing is almost like a factory restore, with proper reset values, through hardware mods

Now you say you've seen people complain, but where is the fact?, you yourself just said it could have been user error
Anything can kill a battery, but if you don't know the 100% story then just saying a charger is a copy does it holds no validity to an argument

If you want to charge your batteries in a safe environment, make sure your house wiring is up to grade, your fuse box should trigger if you have any faults with electrical equipment, don't charge in the house, use a lipo satchel, don't leave your charger unattended

Simple things like this will ensure your house not burning down for what ever reason...
Snake Plissken is online now Find More Posts by Snake Plissken
Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM
Joined May 2012
121 Posts
@Fry: Yeah, I think the point is you're making statements of fact that are wrong. And when called upon it, you start asking questions.

I have the ultra cheap clone B6, amongst many others. Contrary to what you said, it comes complete with the authenticating hologram. The only way I can tell it's a fake is HobbyKing said so, right in the part title. Like any cheap charger, it's a good idea to monitor the voltage with an independent voltmeter on first use. It checked out fine. Many, many Chinese lipo chargers have the same basic electronics inside and the same four control buttons. Obviously different houses buy up the same parts and put out their own version. But the "fakes" make theirs look like the original B6's. And do an excellent job of it. I don't think you can tell the difference from the outside anymore.

One youtube review took them apart and found the genuine was wave-soldered whereas the fake was hand soldered. Personally, it's been working for me as my bounce around the car charger. I use nice but expensive chargers in my shop. Don't care to bounce them around in the car.

Please -- back to 262 stuff.
hard line is offline Find More Posts by hard line
Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM
Joined Feb 2014
1,290 Posts
^^ This, and I did forget to mention, Holograms, or stickers can be faked
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Mar 2014
324 Posts
the imax also trips out if it detects a "short circuit" whilst charging and an alarm goes off.......

pretty impressive unit really.....

I use the imax for main charging of all batteries, then use the WL charger to get that last fraction in , the Imax stops at around 8.2volts where as the WL units, whilst very slow, will trickle the batteries right up to the 8.4volts. I've tested this numerous times now using several different plug in cell testers after the cell's have rested to a stable condition post charging.

Don't shot me for trying to get max voltage into my batteries, figure if it's a slow trickle that's fine rather than a hard big burst........... got three of those WL chargers and to date they have all worked fine....... what I have seen problems with is the wall plugs not been very good.
kiwi_craig is offline Find More Posts by kiwi_craig
Last edited by kiwi_craig; Yesterday at 06:02 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM
Si ša peut chier, ša va chier
Joined Apr 2014
54 Posts
I have the original SkyRc imax B6, I opened it up and it is just like the youtube video comparing the original and the fake. Components are straight, soldering is neat and there is a reverse polarity protection.

I have no doubt that some fakes perform just as well as the original, but there is 5$ difference so why take a chance.
CptCalamity is online now Find More Posts by CptCalamity
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM
Joined Feb 2014
1,290 Posts
I don't think someone could validate the difference of 5 bux, its more so that people on eBay sell the genuine for $65 just because it has a sticker
For people who know what they're doing, a copy is fine, but people buying something that costs almost 3 times as much because of a sticker is a joke..
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCalamity View Post
I have the original SkyRc imax B6, I opened it up and it is just like the youtube video comparing the original and the fake. Components are straight, soldering is neat and there is a reverse polarity protection.

I have no doubt that some fakes perform just as well as the original, but there is 5$ difference so why take a chance.
Can you confirm your Genuine B6 came in a blue box? My fake came in a black box and someone said that's still an easy way to tell them apart.

Also, please forward a link where we can buy Genuine's for $19 as that would be $5 more than I paid.
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM
United States, MD, Fort Washington
Joined May 2014
103 Posts
@Snake
About the RCL extreme one:

are there other lipos that will fit, or is the plug proprietary ?
dont wanna use their charger instead of my B6

are there any other (cf props that fit?]

what mode 1 transmitter (dont like the PS controller) would work?
if not from the 20-40$ range of WLtoys/horizon etc, maybe a futaba?
plus, i might upgrade to a 300-500$ range quad/hex next 1-2y and dont wanna spend money on 2 different Tx.
fry178 is offline Find More Posts by fry178
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM
Si ša peut chier, ša va chier
Joined Apr 2014
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM74 View Post
Can you confirm your Genuine B6 came in a blue box? My fake came in a black box and someone said that's still an easy way to tell them apart.

Also, please forward a link where we can buy Genuine's for $19 as that would be $5 more than I paid.
Not 19$, I believe I paid 29$, yes it came in a blue box.
But I wouldnt rely on the box to tell them apart, if they can copy the casing and everything how hard can it be to copy a box.

Some said that their fake even had the hologram. It is very easy to open up to check, most obvious difference is the reverse polarity protection.
CptCalamity is online now Find More Posts by CptCalamity
Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
794 Posts
You're right. But you can't really take one apart until AFTER you've purchased it. I was fine knowingly buying a "fake" for $14. But I'd be really pissed if I paid $40 only to find out it was a fake. Wouldn't be surprised if that happens all the time on EBAY.

And yes... mine too has a very authentic looking hologram. I find the whole thing amusing. But I also found it a well-spent $14. People can decide for themselves.
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74