HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2013, 02:45 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Build Log
Guillows Edge Kit #703

This is a fairly new kit from Guillow's they are having a contest for free flight for kit # 703, rubber, electric or CO2 power. I wonder if RC is ok? Probably not.... The design is real nice and the laser cut parts fit too. The motor will be a 2100kv C10, 6 amp Hobbywing esc, two 3.7 gram servos and a pair of the HK linear servos at 1.7 grams. I built a little 1/32" sheet box for the battery. Four pair of 2mm magnets hold on the cowl. I will try the first one built as intended with a couple degrees of downthrust added. The next one will have the wing pivoted down a couple of degrees to get the horizontal stabilizer, wing an thrust line all in alignment. You can get spare parts from Guillows, it takes two sheets to make the fuselage - $7.00 for them, one sheet for the wings, $3.50, $10 minimum and shipping was less than $8, $5.50 I think. The balsa is the best I've seen from Guillow's, and I manage to crush a few things with my usual heavy handed approach to alignment. The plane looks big for a twenty inch span.
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Last edited by LenBFP; Jun 08, 2013 at 04:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2013, 03:57 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,674 Posts
Interesting build Len. Please keep us informed on your progress.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jun 08, 2013, 04:54 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,605 Posts
New kits from Guillows. Who'da thunkit?

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Jun 08, 2013, 06:33 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Lets see, maybe an SU26 and a few other aerobats would make a nice addition to the Edge. The guts are pretty cheap, the only problem is seeing them with old eyes, but at least they won't cause much damage in a pile in. I wonder what a pigeon weighs. I replaced every stringer but two with basswood, and I managed to break those two several times each. I ran the motor up with the 5x3x3 GWS prop and at full throttle it sounds like it is on a governor, but just shy of full throttle it sounds like a fairly hot motor. It should work fine. I also picked up the C10 in a 2900kv size which I will try on another plane with a 5x3.

Len
Last edited by LenBFP; Jun 08, 2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2013, 11:18 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Someone sent me a private mail to say he had a few problems with the Guillow's Edge, it didn't want to climb and was operating as if the ailerons were reversed. He said he wound up putting up thrust on it to get it to climb and he would be mixing in some rudder for the turns. Interesting. I would think a 0-0-0 sort of setup would be optimal.

This is good information, anyone who has any experience with this plane is welcome to chime in and share their experiences. This may be a build log, but the objective is to get a flying plane that is a repeatable experience.

Hopefully I will finish covering it today. It is a great day to fly though and that is next on the agenda.

Len
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:22 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Time Flies

It seems like I blinked and two weeks passed. Time really flies.

I heard back from the fellow flying the 703 and he said the strange aileron behavior turned out to be that it was barely flying, with more power things improved considerably.

As I was able to save the fuselage, the parts I ordered now had no wing so I ordered the wing for the Edge, the Edge cowl and the wing sheets for the Cessna 170 as I stole that for the Bird Dog. it was $3.50 for each of the sheets, $2.00 for the cowl and $7.15 for shipping. The box arrived and it was sent priority mail for $5.75 so handling was pretty cheap.The box was about 18" long. I think of the laser cut kits I would order from HK, but the price for shipping from the US location is outrageous, obviously much, much more for "handling" the box, or something.

I have a few of the old Guillows kits that are not laser cut, I may spring for the laser cut parts when they hit the queue. I have a P40 that is getting close, only about ten projects ahead of it.

Under the wing still needs a little sheeting to help with the covering, but the top is done. I have started staining the balsa before covering with Solite as it is so transparent.

Len
Last edited by LenBFP; Jun 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:24 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Almost done

Still need to hook up the aileron linkage, put in a pilot and glue down the canopy, but it is almost done.

Not sure if it was me today, but the white Microlight was a bigger pain than the red, really like herding cats, but they were both bad about curling up on itself and sticking.

Couldn't choose between the two pictures even though they are almost the same.

I have the parts to build another, but the next one will get the 0-0-0 wing, tail, motor alignment. The current one has a few degrees down thrust, the wing is a bit positive incidence with respect to the tail. It will fly, but the trim will vary with the throttle more than an aerobat should. The plans show almost a 0-0-0 arrangement, but that isn't the way it built and after I saw the way the wing and tail wound up, I decided to add a bit of down thrust.
Last edited by LenBFP; Jul 19, 2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:29 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,605 Posts
Len,

That's a very pretty model; if it flies half as good as it looks, you've got a winner.

Did the plans have any provision for RC?

Steve
Old Jul 20, 2013, 04:42 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Thanks Steve, there are instructions for setting up a rudder and elevator, nothing on ailerons or RC in general (although the approach I took was easy enough). There is a little booklet on electric power, but it is centered on ten year old geared brushed motors and NiCad's.

The balance point is marginally rearward. The battery will get moved forward a former on the next one. Other than that it turned out nicely. It will probably need a bit of weight on the inside of the cowl.

It came in at 3.2 ounces without the battery which weighs 0.4 ounces.

Here is a picture with the umx Sbach which weighs an ounce less, but it is a bit smaller. Probably need to keep the speed up to avoid tip stall. I made no effort to save weight on this one, but the next one will go on a diet.
Last edited by LenBFP; Jul 20, 2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 06:26 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,705 Posts
That's a sweet looking model Len!
Good luck with the maiden..

p.s. Nice to see I'm not the only one with an 'organized chaos' workbench like that.....
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jul 20, 2013, 07:57 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
Nice to see I'm not the only one with an 'organized chaos' workbench like that.....
Glenn
It's the way of the universe; inexorably increasing entropy. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...

Steve
Old Jul 20, 2013, 05:52 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85 View Post
It's the way of the universe; inexorably increasing entropy. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...

Steve
LMAO!!!

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jul 21, 2013, 08:22 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Flying

Entropy seems to work a little faster in my workshop.

The Edge went flying this morning. There was a bit more wind than yesterday morning, but the Edge was ready. There was a bit of weight added to the nose, 10 grams, but the CG was still a bit back for a maiden by my standards. It flew ok, needed a bit more speed, it would probably do better with the higher 2900 kv version of the C10, and although the three blade prop looks nice, It won't do for the hotter C10.

The spinner was painted and so was the canopy.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:07 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
More power

I ordered the 2900kv version of the 12gram 18-11 from HK (actually two). I think it will work better for this bigger model. It is rated at 5.4 amps on a 6-3 and two cells which will work out with my 6 amp esc. I plan on a slightly bigger 240 mah cell, I used a 180 before. Then some of the weight in the nose can come out.

I think the 2900 kv version of the C10 could work, but the model would have to be built lighter. As I have most of the parts for another it is hard to resist having a go at making the changes that I think would make it a jewel, but I'll go with the bigger motor with that one too. Mainly a 0-0-0 wing, tail and thrust line and try to keep it to 3 ounces with battery. It wound up closer to 4 with the weight in the nose. The servos will also get moved into the cockpit area.
Last edited by LenBFP; Jul 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 05:16 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,605 Posts
Len,

Congrats on a successful maiden! Sounds like you're in the 35 watt ballpark for spirited performance. I have a Feigao and an IPS gearbox that can get close to that, I wonder if it would work in the Edge?

Steve