Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 26, 2013, 04:01 AM
Germany, BY, M
Joined Mar 2013
8 Posts
Discussion
Some flying in the SF / Bay Area beginning of May

Hi Folks!

I'm all new here, life in Munich, Germany and will be on a business to trip to SF in the first week of May. I might have the chance to bring one of my gliders and stay either for the weekend after or before my meeting.
I was wondering if you could give me some info on how slope soarers are treated in California...if I can just go and fly wherever I think it might work or if there are certain rules I'm not aware of?
Do you have any recommendations on where I should fly (saw a video once, where a guy flew directly at Golden Gate Bridge)...or are maybe even some of you out there, on the respective weekends, who I could join?

I would be very happy if you could give me some advise!

Thanks,
Karl
Karli is online now Find More Posts by Karli
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:09 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,905 Posts
PM me. We have a great slope in Marin County that's about 1/2 hour from the bridge, and has good air. Flying next to the GG Bridge will get you (at a minimum) a visit from the Park Police these days.

The places where we regularly fly are the places where we can consistently fly and not have issues with the Rangers, Park Police, etc. The spots where we fly in Marin are designated, and r/c gliders are officially tolerated.

jyzoom from Singapore was here two weeks ago and had some good flights.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Goat Rock Threads
Old Mar 27, 2013, 06:51 AM
United States, MI, Empire
Joined May 2011
77 Posts
Karl,
I visit Silicon Valley, one hour south of SF, a few times a year. When there I pop over to Coyote Hills Park and fly off Glider Hill. There's good sloping if the wind is from the W or NW. You can just show up with your equipment and no one will hassle you as long as you are glider only (i.e. no motor).
bear_sloper is offline Find More Posts by bear_sloper
Last edited by bear_sloper; Mar 27, 2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:26 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
132 Posts
In San Francisco, there is Fort Funston, where hand gliders launch from, is well known, but can't always fly if handgliders are up; however, just down the road about 1/2 mile is a place known as Secret Spot (not so secret...) which is also real good. I've seen F3F competitions there...
vascoboy is offline Find More Posts by vascoboy
Old Apr 02, 2013, 04:14 AM
Singapore (Asia)
Joined Oct 2004
380 Posts
Yes Karl ... Hope up with slopemeno . I had a great time there... Will make sure I do the same on my next trip. Was flying my energic there.
Jonathan
jyzoom is offline Find More Posts by jyzoom
Old Apr 02, 2013, 10:20 AM
Germany, BY, M
Joined Mar 2013
8 Posts
Thanks guys for your responses! Unfortunately, the cheapest flight I found this time (and this is the one I have to take) is without the weekends...normally it is the opposite...still checking this and if I can realize a stay over the weekend - I would contact you, slopemeno - I keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks again!
Karl
Old Apr 05, 2013, 12:16 AM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,063 Posts
my favorite spots in norcal are four corners and tick point. I've put both of them in the "maps" section of rcg.
baconflyer is offline Find More Posts by baconflyer
Old Apr 12, 2013, 05:09 AM
Germany, BY, M
Joined Mar 2013
8 Posts
ok, got a good flight and a suitcase my glider fits in. Will have the 4th of May for some flying...
Old Apr 16, 2013, 05:27 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,905 Posts
Here's a couple of pics Aaron took on either Saturday or Sunday of my Higgins F-20
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2013, 06:08 PM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno View Post
Here's a couple of pics Aaron took on either Saturday or Sunday of my Higgins F-20
so that's what it was... I thought it was a strange jart
baconflyer is offline Find More Posts by baconflyer
Old Apr 16, 2013, 06:25 PM
Singapore (Asia)
Joined Oct 2004
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno View Post
slopemeno, i miss the sight of that from my last trip. Looking forward to the next one...
jyzoom is offline Find More Posts by jyzoom
Old Apr 16, 2013, 07:25 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,905 Posts
Jonathan- next time I'll bring something heavy and fast for you to fly- just bring a spare receiver.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2013, 03:47 AM
Germany, BY, M
Joined Mar 2013
8 Posts
hey friends, thanks again for taking me to the slopes! Hope to be back...sometime!
Old May 09, 2013, 11:57 AM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,717 Posts
Ah yes, good old Four Corners. The place looks great, the planes have changed a lot. Looks like you had a nice day withe the locals Karl.

Sean
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old May 09, 2013, 03:50 PM
Germany, BY, M
Joined Mar 2013
8 Posts
Bloody fog ended it a bit early, but it was still all worth it