Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:18 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,968 Posts
Discussion
Poseidon Rigger.

Just thought I'd put together a bit of a review of this rigger from tobsd .com

A couple of us at our club have bought one to run in our 'restricted hydro' class. That means they will only have the 1500kv motors & 45A ESC from Aquacraft or Proboat. 4s & with an M645 prop.

Here's what we found.

Turn fin is the wrong type & is just screwed to the eggshell thin heel of the sponson with no extra support inside.Damien's fell off on the first run.

Solution...We cut a slot in the side of the sponson & epoxied in a piece of 1/8" Aluminium and screwed on a proper rigger bracket & fin.

The sponsons are too thin & flexible.
Solution...I drilled two 20mm holes in the bottom filled with two part Eco Foam & glued on a ride pad to the bottom of the sponson. Strong & solid sponsons now.

The Carbon Fiber inserts for the spars in Damiens came loose in the right hand sponson & the sponson came off in the turn. The glue just broke away.

Solution...We drilled through the sponsons into the end of the spar inserts & epoxied in a 3/16" large headed screw. Making sure the spars were removed first so they didn't get glued in. Did it to both sponsons.

The spars are very thin. I broke one in a 'rapid deceleration' incident when I hit the bank. That came about when the rudder flipped up after hitting something in the water.

Solution...New rods with another rod inside. I also put some aluminium tube over mine just cos it looks good. It may strengthen the rod a bit but not at the pressure point where the rods exit the tub.

The 4mm shaft was the two piece square drive affair I always replace them with a welded 4mm flex from Promise hobbies in these RTR things.

The stuffing tube needed some extra epoxy around it as there was hardly any glue holding it in.

The water outlet was on the transom so I moved it up to the middle of the boat through the deck. Now I can see the water coming out of it.

Apart from all that she's a good little runner even with the restricted motor set up. It will certainly handle more speed

I will run it with a higher kv motor on a practice day. One day.

Here's a few pics to explain it a bit more clearly.
785boats is offline Find More Posts by 785boats
Last edited by 785boats; Jan 01, 2013 at 11:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:26 PM
Canada, ON, Acton
Joined Oct 2003
2,124 Posts
May I ask what size it is and what it set you back??
BACKEMFNRG is offline Find More Posts by BACKEMFNRG
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:17 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,968 Posts
Yep.
$249.00 with free shipping. It's 33" long. Here's a link.

http://www.tobsd.com/ViewDetails.aspx?ProductID=186

Also comes for $389.00 with 2000kv 3674 motor, 120A ESC & servo. Not worth the extra $140.00 to me, as I had all stuff I needed.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:50 AM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,981 Posts
Hi Paul,
I think there is no support for the turn fin because the original rigger they cloned (Hydro&Marine Mr Krabs) has the turn fin bracket epoxied to the inner side of the sponson.
I have the Dr Super Evil version of it, and it works a lot better with a straight fin, quite large (approx 120mm long). Worth a try...
CornelP is offline Find More Posts by CornelP
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:52 AM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,968 Posts
Hi CP.
A guy at our club has one of the originals too. Solid, heavy boat compared to these. But then again it was designed to go a lot faster too.
I see your point about the turn fin. But at the speeds these go with the Restricted motor & ESC (Low to mid 70's klm) That small fin has enough bite.

In fact, I've had to back off the steering travel quite a bit as the boat is very responsive to just a small amount of rudder travel.

Might need a bigger fin when I up the power plant to see how fast she can really go.

Do you race the rigger in the Hydro class? And what size & kv power plant are you running?
Last edited by 785boats; Jan 10, 2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:34 PM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,981 Posts
Yup, got it on Hydro2. I got stuck in a buoy at the Nats, but in testing I got excellent results with a Tenshock TSCZII 2230 2230 kv on 5S, 40mm 2blade Tenshock alu prop.

See some pics at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=fleet+2012
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:33 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,968 Posts
Thanks.
I forgot about that thread. Nice set up.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:37 AM
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
RC Rigger 33 "

After using the boat several time I went to plug in the battery and WHAM BLAM !!!!! I hit a dead short and the connector kind of exploded in my hand.

So my question is -- how do I find out what has shorted out ? There was some water in the boat, but not any significant amount. I am afraid to just replace the ESC and have the same thing happen again !!! HELP

Dave
Dave Vollmers is offline Find More Posts by Dave Vollmers
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:47 AM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,968 Posts
Hi Dave.
Welcome to the forum.
It's a bit hard to diagnose the cause of the short without a bit more info. What type of ESC was it?
Was the battery damaged in any way? Were all the connections fully insulated & not touching each other? Had the motor or ESC or battery been extremely hot on any of the previous runs? Was the ESC sealed or could there have been water in it? Are you 100% sure that you did not plug the battery in reversed polarity? Were there any other burn marks other than the connector & your hand?
Some pics of the setup might help too.
Cheers.
Paul.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:37 PM
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Shorted ESC 33" Rigger

The ESC appeared to have a dead short. So I put a 30 amp fuse in series with the ESC and battery and it instantly smoked that fuse. So I replaced the ESC with another one that I had from another boat and that fixed the problem.

I also want to add that I was having a problem with the 33" rigger boat "hooking" on turns, I made a new 1/2 inch longer aluminum stabilizer for the right rigger and that seems to have eliminated the problem.

I just ordered the 19" Wooden Rigger from Liu at tobsd.com and I will let you know how that boats handles when I receive it.
Dave Vollmers is offline Find More Posts by Dave Vollmers
Last edited by Dave Vollmers; Feb 19, 2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Added comment.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:03 AM
Canada, ON, Acton
Joined Oct 2003
2,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vollmers View Post
The ESC appeared to have a dead short. So I put a 30 amp fuse in series with the ESC and battery and it instantly smoked that fuse. So I replaced the ESC with another one that I had from another boat and that fixed the problem.

I also want to add that I was having a problem with the 33" rigger boat "hooking" on turns, I made a new 1/2 inch longer aluminum stabilizer for the right rigger and that seems to have eliminated the problem.

I just ordered the 19" Wooden Rigger from Liu at tobsd.com and I will let you know how that boats handles when I receive it.
Hobby King sells the wood one cheaper and also sells the 17" long fiberglass mini hydro too.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:44 PM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Nice looking boats all the way around!

What is the, what looks to be, a small jumper cable on the outside of all 3 riggers? Is that a kill switch?

Thanks for sharing.

--Shawn
Shawnner is offline Find More Posts by Shawnner
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:37 AM
Canada, ON, Acton
Joined Oct 2003
2,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnner View Post
Nice looking boats all the way around!

What is the, what looks to be, a small jumper cable on the outside of all 3 riggers? Is that a kill switch?

Thanks for sharing.

--Shawn
Yes it is an emergency disconnect for main power. I would like to see it as a standard on FE boats but, many disagree.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:48 AM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,981 Posts
It is mandatory according to European Naviga, in Australia and China.
Some of the biggest supporters of this are the guys in the retrieval boats: they do not want to lift a boat that could start in their hands on a transmitter glitch.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:09 AM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Yeah makes a lot of sense to have one for sure. Not only to save fingers but for wonky electrical systems and rubber raft chase boats too.
Shawnner is offline Find More Posts by Shawnner