HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:08 AM
Joined Feb 2014
57 Posts
What is the popular power set up for the XL version?
Maj.Duty is offline Find More Posts by Maj.Duty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2014, 05:39 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj.Duty View Post
What is the popular power set up for the XL version?
Hobby Partz
4s - Exceed RC rocket motor 3015 - 1300kv with 9x4.5e prop.
14.8v 3300mah battery (need 330g weight to balance plane)
60 amp esc hobbywing
WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:54 PM
"Some do, some don't"
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMParkFlyer View Post
Hobby Partz
4s - Exceed RC rocket motor 3015 - 1300kv with 9x4.5e prop.
14.8v 3300mah battery (need 330g weight to balance plane)
60 amp esc hobbywing
Egads!!!!! Be afraid, be very afraid.... What a beast.....

Mark R.
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
Old Jul 01, 2014, 11:04 PM
Joined Feb 2014
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak68 View Post
Sorry guys, too far away.
Did my own night-fly around the corner with light , sound and fireworks as a bonus.
http://vimeo.com/98485249
Which version is this? And, is there anyone who has flown both the regular Mako and the XL version, which one do you prefer and why?

Thank you for your input
Last edited by Maj.Duty; Jul 02, 2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old Jul 02, 2014, 05:00 PM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
573 Posts
Mine is the 100% size scratchbuild Mako following WMPF's plans.
Alterations: Rudder arm inside the boom, the step 1 inch forward, the nosetip flush with floats front,
100% is big enough for traveling on my back seat. Not too bulky. Carrying 50 grams of cam very nicely.
ak68 is offline Find More Posts by ak68
Old Jul 02, 2014, 05:57 PM
(ACCELLERATII INCREDIBUS)
Jenison Michigan
Joined Apr 2008
362 Posts
Quote:
Which version is this? And, is there anyone who has flown both the regular Mako and the XL version, which one do you prefer and why?

Thank you for your input
I have built and flown both original and the XL. The 42" XL is far better in every way, I don't even fly my 32" any more. The XL has more power, speed, and handles better both in the air and on water. I have my new one for acrobatics and my old one for FPV.
aircontrol is offline Find More Posts by aircontrol
Old Jul 03, 2014, 10:59 AM
Joined Feb 2014
57 Posts
"Mine is the 100% size scratchbuild Mako following WMPF's plans.
Alterations: Rudder arm inside the boom, the step 1 inch forward, the nosetip flush with floats front,
100% is big enough for traveling on my back seat. Not too bulky. Carrying 50 grams of cam very nicely
. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircontrol View Post
I have built and flown both original and the XL. The 42" XL is far better in every way, I don't even fly my 32" any more. The XL has more power, speed, and handles better both in the air and on water. I have my new one for acrobatics and my old one for FPV.
Awesome some of you scratch build these things.

Thank you for this input. I was leaning towards the XL because I like larger models in general but the the affordable 3S batteries for the original, which I already have a lot of, had me tempted with the smaller version.
Last edited by Maj.Duty; Jul 03, 2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2014, 12:26 PM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
603 Posts
Quote:
"Mine is the 100% size scratchbuild Mako following WMPF's plans.
100% is big enough for traveling on my back seat. Not too bulky. Carrying 50 grams of cam very nicely
. "

Awesome some of you scratch build these things.

Thank you for this input. I was leaning towards the XL because I like larger models in general but the the affordable 3S batteries for the original, which I already have a lot of, had me tempted with the smaller version.
Be aware, you can't disassemble the Makos for transport or storage. The original has a footprint of 32" x 35", while the XL is 42" x 47". If it is a non issue go for the bigger one.

Chris
Still flying the original size and enjoying it!
Tomahawk is offline Find More Posts by Tomahawk
Old Jul 03, 2014, 09:19 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,417 Posts
I have both mako models and the xl would be my choice. The only downside is it takes a more expensive battery but it makes up for it in the fun factor. It sounds cooler and it is easier to see. Bigger is better if you can fit it in the car then go for it. Its like the difference between a v-6 and v-8.
If the size and cost is an issue then get the original one. Every hangar needs one!!!
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Jul 04, 2014, 12:17 PM
United States, MD, Leonardtown
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
Has anyone done a 3S setup on the Mako XL? I'd like to use the 3S-2200s I have already in parallel, rather than getting 4S batts as well. Thoughts?
Gman20650 is offline Find More Posts by Gman20650
Old Jul 04, 2014, 12:29 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman20650 View Post
Has anyone done a 3S setup on the Mako XL? I'd like to use the 3S-2200s I have already in parallel, rather than getting 4S batts as well. Thoughts?
3s - Suppo A2814/6 - 1400 KV with 9x6e prop.
11.1v 4000mah battery (need 330g weight to balance plane)
60 amp esc

Above from the first XL post. Should work fine. The XL is quite weight tolerant.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2014, 12:42 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,682 Posts
Well, my Maco Xl is no more. While getting ready for the holiday weekend, I took it out for a check ride, and when doing a high speed, downwind pass, the entire rear boom sections started to flutter and then the CF "struts" pulled out and hen the elevator assembly let loose. It went straight in, full speed, into the paved runway. It was quite the scene.
I knew I was pushing the speed envelope, as I was running a 3542 / 1250kv motor on a 4s 4500. So be careful if you are using something close to this amount of power.
I will get another sometime soon. But, not until I finish a few other planes I have in que.
I will post a pic of the destruction after the weekend.
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Jul 04, 2014, 01:34 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
Well, my Maco Xl is no more. While getting ready for the holiday weekend, I took it out for a check ride, and when doing a high speed, downwind pass, the entire rear boom sections started to flutter and then the CF "struts" pulled out and hen the elevator assembly let loose. It went straight in, full speed, into the paved runway. It was quite the scene.
I knew I was pushing the speed envelope, as I was running a 3542 / 1250kv motor on a 4s 4500. So be careful if you are using something close to this amount of power.
I will get another sometime soon. But, not until I finish a few other planes I have in que.
OUCH! I bet that left a mark! I hope all the electronics survived so all you have to replace is the foam. What tail servos were you using? On the prototype we were using HXT- 9 gram and found that the gear train would not hold in high speed. Before the trusses were added flutter set in and stripped the rudder servo. I am not sure which came first the servo letting go or the flutter.

So builders beware use metal gear in the tail. I am using metal gear all the way around now as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM
"Some do, some don't"
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
379 Posts
Condolences

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
My condolences, But a question or maybe it's a comment, recently flew the wings off a plane, same kinda deal, pushing on the envelope, well, to the breaking point, funny thing was, that crash didn't bother me as much, felt different for some reason, did you feel the same?

Mark R.

old_coastie
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,682 Posts
Old Coastie,
I feel bad when I crash due to stupid mistakes or careless mistakes on my end.
Actually, now that I think about it, I was warned by the good folks at WMPF that the rear end is the weak point of the plane and I knew that I had a hot motor for this plane.
So, I probably should have known that a high speed fly by was risking destruction. The only regret I had is that I was getting ready for the July 4th holiday where I was gonna fly it on Lake Norman for my buddies. Also, it is less of a financial issue as it is a time issue, as far as getting another one.
I have been flying for 3 years now, and I do not get disappointed anymore when losing a plane. At least not too much.
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy