HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2014, 04:26 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
531 Posts
Discussion
Joyways Explorer

Wondering if anyone has sailed the Joyways Explorer and how it compares to the DF.
Both are the same length, the Explorer is 1 inch wider and appox. 2 oz. lighter.
The DF has a ABS hull while the Explorer's hull is fiberglass. Other than that they seem pretty much the same with many parts being the same for both boats.
Jim
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2014, 07:09 PM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
531 Posts
The reason I was asking about the two boats was that Atomik RC has 20% off on the Explorer selling it for $148. but after adding shipping of $40 the cost is more than a DF from Tower that has free shipping. So guess that I will go with Tower and get the DF.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 04:42 AM
United Kingdom, Stourbridge
Joined Nov 2012
255 Posts
the explorer does not rate as a RG65.

NO bumper !!!!
mark dicks is offline Find More Posts by mark dicks
Old Nov 19, 2014, 05:02 PM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
531 Posts
Ordered a DF from Tower this morning. Tower has it for $175 with free shipping and with a $20 coupon it's only $155.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 06:06 PM
Joined Mar 2011
17 Posts
Explorer as rg65

Hi
I bought an Explorer as a\spare parts for my DF65s on ebay ($102) + shipping Its a very well made yacht I measured the overall length and with a bumper added it will measure in Length is 648 +5mm bumper will be under max of 650+/5
soling11 is online now Find More Posts by soling11
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,732 Posts
My wife got me an explorer for Christmas... It arrived yesterday but I can't open it...

Where do you get a bumper from? Atomik had the explorer for $110 plus free shipping this week so she snagged it since the DF was still over $175... And she's not sure if I'm going to like sailboating.... (She says if I like it then I can get another boat later, but she's not going to spend $175 on my first) I love her... Rc boats are the only Rc I DONT have... Lol (planes, helis, quads, car, trucks, motorcycles, all scales....)
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura2 View Post
...Where do you get a bumper from?
The Dragon Force bumper will not suit this boat as it fits into mouldings on the hull.

I suggest you consider fabricating a bumper. Cut up an old thong (flip-flop, beach footwear) to get a piece the correct shape and glue it on the bow. A sharp blade and sandpaper should do the job.

To comply with RG rules, it needs to be at least 5mm fore and aft (but should not make the boat longer than 661 mm overall) and it needs to be at least 3 mm wide.

RG65 2014 rules:
Rule 1.1.1 defines hull length:
It is intention of these Rules to give ample freedom to design and build R/C sailing racing models whose length will be of 65 +/- 0,5 cm, with an rig height of up to 110 cm and a maximum sail area of 2250 cm2.

Rule 3.2.2 defines the bumper
On the bow and from the deck, there will be a fender protecting, with a length of 0.5 +/- 0.1 cm by 0.3 cm of width at least, of elastomeric material (flexible gum, elastic foam, etc)

So taking the tolerances to the limit, the hull can be up to 655 mm long and the fender can be up to 6 mm for a total overall length of 661 mm

Hope this helps...
mrpenguin is online now Find More Posts by mrpenguin