HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2014, 05:58 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Build Log
The Guillows 172 Skyhawk, kit # 802

The Guillows 172 Skyhawk, kit # 802, has been built and flown by many modelers.

Here on RC Groups there are several "builds" showing what each modeler's approach has been; for web build pictures, see this link by

Smokin' Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick

dealing with FAQ in
Guillow's Conversions - The list of conversion threads may be found here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...low+cessna+kit

This build will deal with this Guillows model:

Kit No - 802 Cessna Skyhawk 172, http://www.guillow.com/cessnaskyhawk172.aspx

Also, this kit has been built by the following in RC Groups.

reznikvova http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...113#post601113
Zimmerman http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632046
WTFLYR http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1092242
usa1045 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1521750
raphael150 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post15734345

John
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
update added 22 Mar

To make it easier to find flight info and weights, here are the above builder's reports.
Note: the heavier the model, the faster it flies.

Zimm's, see Flight Video, flying at 10 oz
Guillow,s cessna 172 video

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...53#post6798191

WTFLYR, The AUW with the 3s-900 is 15.5oz.

Flight Video: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post13038495

raphael150, Flyies perfectly, and, believe or not it weights only 235g (8.4oz) ready to fly
see post #32
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post15734345

Flight Video:
Cessna 172 Skyhawk Guillows Flying (1 min 55 sec)

Excellent in flight pictures with several close up of in the air shots.
Brazilian site with shots: http://e-voo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112625&start=25
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Last edited by JohnAV8R; Mar 22, 2014 at 09:44 AM. Reason: more info
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2014, 05:59 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
reserved for future use
Old Mar 18, 2014, 08:42 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Guillows 172 Cessna Skyhawk, build log

A few years ago I was on a summer holiday at a trailer park and was missing my model "stuff". So I brought along a Guillow's kit, just in case...

Well I didn't get too much done, but did get a start.
The "start" was out side on the picnic bench.

I checked out the box of parts, looked at the plans, and vacillated back and forth. Finally I decide I just had to make that first glue joint and I started.

The following year I looked at the previous year's start, but didn't get anything done.

So, you know where this might go, I'm a slow builder.

I'm also retired now.

Fast forward; I'm making progress.

Here is view of the park in the summer, a winter drive to the park, and a winter picture taken with A Blade 350 Q.

A look outside this winter suggests that staying indoors and building is the best way to go.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 08:52 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Here's the early start to the build.
Wood feels a little heavy , but I am going to use everything in the kit box.

The parts are all die cut. Some look a little crunched/crushed, but that's ok.

This is suppose to be a fun build.

Looking at the other build threads there are many good ideas to be found.
There are also some very talented builders out there.

So, maybe don't expect the best of builds, feel free to offer advice and enjoy the story/build/progress.

John

PS that's my dog under the build table. Pic 3,4. She keeps an eye on the parts.
Last edited by JohnAV8R; Mar 19, 2014 at 03:50 PM. Reason: ps
Old Mar 19, 2014, 02:05 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,745 Posts
Great - I enjoy watching Guillow's kit builds! I've never built one myself as they tend to be pretty pricey in the UK. Looking at the plan though, do they show all the formers and the ribs full size? I'm just thinking that if it can 'sometimes be advisable' to replace some of the wood in the kit, it might be easier simply to build from the plan.... hmmmmm!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Mar 19, 2014, 02:40 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,999 Posts
I've posted your entry John.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Mar 19, 2014, 03:45 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Guillow mentions that the model can be built several different ways.

Guillow kits may have heavier, harder, maybe even stronger balsa than you might want for a light weight contest balsa bird. I'm guessing they (Guillow) may have intentionally done this in order to help out a first time, or less experienced builder. Help how? Again my guess is that the heavier, tougher balsa will withstand the rigors and possibly rough handing of a first time builder.

The opposite side of the balsa grade, I'm sure you've heard complaints from some builders that the balsa is too flimsy!
I had a friend who built a CG Sukhoi model airplane (1.20 size) ; it was built very lightly with light balsa to fly well. His complaint was that he put his fingers through the wing LE sheeting.

And I've a nice Dumas L19 Bird Dog airplane kit that has very nice and light balsa, which is great, but a little too light for my "hands"; I have to handle the model very gently. See pic below for similar sized models.

Finally, Guillow mentions that the model can be built for display, .09 glow U/C, or free flight rubber power. To reduce balsa weight, sand off half of the balsa from the sheets before you remove the parts. You could reduce balsa sheet weight by half!

There really is no need to replace the balsa. The die cutting/crushing may have a few builders complaining, but I'll guess they never had the pleasure of building a kit from print wood! This is a fun build. You get to push the parts out, or trim them, from the balsa sheet. There's no laser cuts or black burn markers either. This is a kit for the builder to spend time and "play around" with if you are so inclined.

Last of all, Guillow provides a really nice set of plans showing all of the parts.

John
Old Mar 19, 2014, 06:31 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2011
90 Posts
Geez I thought your Bird dog's tail had a nasty mishap until I saw the bigger picture. That's a kit I've wanted to get for some time.

Good luck with the 172 John. I've had the kit on a shelf for over two years awaiting some attention. I've wanted to come up with an alternate cockpit/cabin, like casting one from the original plastic out of fibreglass, but from all accounts, the original one is fine. I dunno, I'm still not ready to tackle the kit yet even though everything is good to go; servos, electrics etc. In the meantime I'll tag along and enjoy your build. It's interesting seeing how each builder approaches a conversion and what techniques, mods and materials are used. I plan on sheeting with balsa in some areas and tissue covered elsewhere. It'll be heavy even with some wood removed prior to covering, but that's ok, for me at least.
bellyup is offline Find More Posts by bellyup
Old Mar 19, 2014, 07:43 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
CB, if you're really interested in the plans let me know.

bellyup, a two year wait isn't bad. I've still got an old (started in 1975) Comet kit, 54" all framed up and ready to cover. It's about 10 oz.
Attached is a copy of the Comet plan, a Taylorcraft, from Outerzone.

The Guillow cabin is all plastic, a bit heavy but not as heavy as it appears. I'll weigh mine.
The other build threads have mentioned flying weights of under 10 oz.
All the balsa parts and stringers in this kit box weighed about 5 oz. I'll be adding a little extra balsa (wing spar) and sheeting on the front section. For covering I'm not sure if I'll use all tissue, or a mixture with Doculam.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 07:49 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2011
161 Posts
Colonel Blink:

I built this kit for a static model 4 years ago. It has since met its demise, tho.

I don't mean to step on John's toes, but if you would like a used set of plans, I would be happy to send you mine.

My apologies, John if I have stuck my nose in where it doesn't belong.

Bill
Billinaz is offline Find More Posts by Billinaz
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:15 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Thanks Bill. You're a good man. Definitely, "no toe stepping". We're here to help each other enjoy the hobby and get the best we can in our builds.
John
Old Mar 20, 2014, 08:24 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,745 Posts
John / Bill:

You chaps epitomise what is great about this hobby, and about RCGroups! The unselfish generosity is amazing, and for that I thank you wholeheartedly!!

I am sorely tempted to say 'yes please' to your offers, but my comments were more centred around the warbirds - for instance the Dauntless (#1003) or maybe even the Thunderbolt (#1001). Although it is always good to pore over a new plan, I fear my motivation would be more to 'add another plan to the collection' rather than clearing the bench off ready. Though that may change as I follow this build!

Apart from that, I reckon it'll take me until the end of the year to finish the P39!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 04:05 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2011
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
John / Bill:

You chaps epitomise what is great about this hobby, and about RCGroups! The unselfish generosity is amazing, and for that I thank you wholeheartedly!!

I am sorely tempted to say 'yes please' to your offers, but my comments were more centred around the warbirds - for instance the Dauntless (#1003) or maybe even the Thunderbolt (#1001). Although it is always good to pore over a new plan, I fear my motivation would be more to 'add another plan to the collection' rather than clearing the bench off ready. Though that may change as I follow this build!

Apart from that, I reckon it'll take me until the end of the year to finish the P39!
Whelp, cain't do ya no good on the Dauntless, but I got me a copy of the Gweeloes giant P-47 yer welcome to!

Bill
Billinaz is offline Find More Posts by Billinaz
Old Mar 20, 2014, 06:05 PM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,422 Posts
looking forward to this build! I also have this kit on the "to be built" stack. hoping your thread will also get me motivated to get it started....
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Old Mar 21, 2014, 02:02 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billinaz View Post
... I got me a copy of the Gweeloes giant P-47 yer welcome to!
PM sent

John - apologies for the hijack.... now back to the build!