Old Apr 30, 2014, 03:04 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savneo View Post
great paint job krp,

here is my do5 wing i painted, still need to paint fuse.
way cool !!!!!!!!!
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2014, 09:13 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Well, weighed my Avionik with the fuselage painted…Before, absolutely ready-to-fly with battery pack, wing bolts, everything (okay, less the tape around the wing and fuselage) it weighed 973g. With the fuselage painted it weighs 979g for a weight gain of 6g for the paint. However, I do not know which of my four sets of batteries I used when weighing it before, so there could also be a few grams difference in battery weight. Anyway, I’m still in the ballpark of an allowance for about 20g for my printed vinyl wing wrap which, according to my calculations, will be right at 20g.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KRProton; May 01, 2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old May 02, 2014, 09:04 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Now we're talkin'.

The wing wrap added 24g.

I haven't weighed the plane all-up with paint and wrap, but by my calculations it weighs...

973g RTF before paint, +6g for paint = 979g + 24g for wrap = 1003g, yea?

3g over the minimum weight, 4.5g under the maximum FAI weight for the Avionik.

I'm thrilled with the wrap, but know what, doesn't look as good as paint. Anyway, I'm lovin' it.

The LE wraps around the bottom about 1/4". I'll probably trim about half that later. I cut the TE even with TE of the wing. If it shows any signs of lifting I'll wrap thin, clear tape around the TE.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KRProton; May 03, 2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old May 03, 2014, 01:07 AM
Cyprus
Joined Mar 2012
182 Posts
(I'm thrilled with the wrap, but know what, doesn't look as good as paint. Anyway, I'm lovin' it.)

Looking good from the photo...
savneo is online now Find More Posts by savneo
Old May 05, 2014, 10:56 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
I know the capacity I’m using per flight from my 2S 200mAh LiFe (15 – 18mAh), but I was wondering what is the current draw because this LiFe is rated for 1C discharge (.2A). A while ago I connected a Watts Up meter in-line and moved the servos while applying pressure to the surfaces (this required an assistant). I got readings of about .6A. But I speculate this is higher than actual flight because I don’t think air pressure will load the servos as much as holding them with my fingers. Anyway, I also know I draw about 15mAh – 18mAh per flight, but this includes walking out to the flight line, ten laps around the pylons, landing and walking back to the pits. So the actual current consumed would be less for laps around the pylons. So say I use the lower of the figures of 15mAh per flight to calculate current draw:

15mAh per flight, 2 minutes for the flight (including landing), that equals 15mAh/2 minutes = .015Ah / .03333h = .45A average current draw.

So, based on the evidence I have so far (.45A based on capacity used per flight and .6A with the surfaces loaded by hand), I guess I’m pulling from .45A - .6A in the air which is 2 to 3 times the specified 1C (.2A) max. discharge.

In researching the use of a small LiFe as an Rx I found several posts where guys were doing this successfully for quite some time.

Anyone with knowledge about LiFes have any comments?

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2014, 12:47 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
Are you sure you are reading 1C discharge and not 1C charge rate? I have some LiFe batteries, and they are rated at 20C discharge.
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old May 05, 2014, 01:08 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Thanks Arcteryxxx.

Yea, the specs say not to charge or discharge any greater than 1C. The small 200mAh pack I'm using doesn't have a balance connector, so the literature also says that charging and discharging at no greater than 1C there is a small likelihood that the cells will ever go out of balance, so that's why there is no balance connector.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYXA6&P=7

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2014, 01:44 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
I don't think will worry about knowing which plane is yours on the course, that wing is BRIGHT !
Old May 05, 2014, 01:47 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,664 Posts
Tim, I use a 2s 300mah 35c Nano which is only 2g heavier than the LiFe pack you use, maybe a consideration? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22906
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old May 05, 2014, 02:21 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
Not a heavy weight this one either. Used in my F5B model http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...poly_Pack.html
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old May 05, 2014, 03:22 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen, but you've suggested LiPos. I'm running 2S 350mAh LiPo in my Vipers with Castle Creations regulator, but in my Avioniks I'm running LiFe. No regulator.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2014, 03:39 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Tim

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-life-20c-200-2s1p.html
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old May 05, 2014, 05:05 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,401 Posts
Servos draw highest current when changing directions, can be twice what stall current is, but its only a spike.

I think your pretty game running unregulated liFe voltage on them servos Tim
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old May 05, 2014, 05:10 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Servos draw highest current when changing directions, can be twice what stall current is.
On my Giant 42 percent aerobatic gasses with the Powebox power distribution, I can see the lights go from green to red when doing hard roll reversals
Old May 06, 2014, 06:33 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Servos draw highest current when changing directions, can be twice what stall current is, but its only a spike.

I think your pretty game running unregulated liFe voltage on them servos Tim
What do you mean by "game" Chris?

Is that good or bad?

Tim
RCG Plus Member