HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:50 AM
Joined Sep 2011
7 Posts
Discussion
CC BEC Pro - Incorrect Output Voltage?

I recently bought a CC BEC Pro, and after a few flights with unexplained loss of control (leading to crashes), I did some more investigation.

It turns out that the BEC is actually only putting out 4.3V (with no load!), not the 5.1V that is set to.

So what was happening is that the receiver and mixers were browning out and rebooting.

I experimented a bit, and no matter what voltage I program for, the output voltage is exactly 0.8V less than that, basically from no load to 4 standard servos. I'm running from a 4s 5300mAH pack,

Yes, I have used three different multimeters, because I didn't believe the first one.

Has anyone else seen this? Can someone measure the actual output on their own unit?

The problem is, if I set the output voltage to say 6.3V to compensate, what guarantee do I have that one day the BEC will not suddenly decide to get the voltage right, and fry whatever equipment it is connected to?
Trellian is offline Find More Posts by Trellian
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:41 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trellian View Post
I recently bought a CC BEC Pro, and after a few flights with unexplained loss of control (leading to crashes), I did some more investigation.

It turns out that the BEC is actually only putting out 4.3V (with no load!), not the 5.1V that is set to.

So what was happening is that the receiver and mixers were browning out and rebooting.

I experimented a bit, and no matter what voltage I program for, the output voltage is exactly 0.8V less than that, basically from no load to 4 standard servos. I'm running from a 4s 5300mAH pack,

Yes, I have used three different multimeters, because I didn't believe the first one.

Has anyone else seen this? Can someone measure the actual output on their own unit?

The problem is, if I set the output voltage to say 6.3V to compensate, what guarantee do I have that one day the BEC will not suddenly decide to get the voltage right, and fry whatever equipment it is connected to?

You need to contact the repair department @ Castle...

The output control is sort of done in banks... if you are having trouble with the 5.1 output it will be messed up in the entire range...

I never trust any bec voltage until I hook up a meter and test the voltage myself... yes I know you should not have to do this but I test voltage before I ever hook up to my electronics... I do the same thing with all regulators and Becs.

Contact the repair Department and they can get you squared away.

Repairs repairs@castlecreations.com
Phone
(913) 390-6939

*Option 1 - Technical Support
*Option 2 - Repairs
*Option 3 - Sales / Orders

Office Hours: Monday - Friday from 9AM to 5PM CST.
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Sep 2011
7 Posts
Thanks! I will do that asap. The fast response is much appreciated!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined Sep 2011
7 Posts
I just called CC, and spoke with Dan. They sound really organised and capable, and have the ability to hook up a unit right there while you are on the phone.

Great service, thank you Dan!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:49 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trellian View Post
I just called CC, and spoke with Dan. They sound really organised and capable, and have the ability to hook up a unit right there while you are on the phone.

Great service, thank you Dan!
Awesome... Our Team In KS are great !!!
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone