SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:46 AM
Registered User
JohnsPop's Avatar
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,818 Posts
Hey, 15-20 seconds was longer than the Wright brothers, right? At least this let you know about some simple changes you need to make instead of a longer flight and wrecking the whole thing. Congratulations on getting her airborne, hope to see more of it!
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2013, 06:15 PM
Young Poor and Fun
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2012
101 Posts
Day 2

I got the puffed 2,200mah battery charged as best as I could (it only took 1,000mah). I accidentally plugging the battery in with the throttle on, putting the ESC into program mode. It took 20-30 minutes to guess how to program it out of Helicopter slow start mode. I took off and the battery didn't have the voltage it should have. As you can see in the footage the voltage dropped after a few seconds. The plane pulled to the left and I was on full right aileron and rudder for much of the short flight. When the motor output dropped too much I think the lower wing stalled?

Anyway, it was momentous for me to get it in the air, even if it was briefly.

Tiger Moth Crash # 2 (0 min 30 sec)


Il était un mémorial doux-amer de notre relation.
Y.P.F. is offline Find More Posts by Y.P.F.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 08:53 PM
Registered User
JohnsPop's Avatar
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,818 Posts
Awe...... Well, she looked like she *wanted* to fly. She almost looked like she was torque'n...... Don't remember from the thread, did you have any down or right thrust angle in there? It almost looked like maybe you could have gotten off the throttle to see if it would have glided out, but that's a big ol' bird. You going to stay with her and repair her to see if you can get her going?
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:10 PM
Registered User
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Dec 2012
16 Posts
Awesome job on getting her off the ground even if for a few seconds. She came up fairly quickly and level but then looked to drift to the left. It almost seemed like the ailerons weren't working at all or very little. Could have been to much draw on the weak battery and the servos were starved. I bet you try her with a full, fully functional battery and she will fly just fine
Kevstra is offline Find More Posts by Kevstra
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2013, 12:00 AM
Young Poor and Fun
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2012
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
Awe...... Well, she looked like she *wanted* to fly. She almost looked like she was torque'n...... Don't remember from the thread, did you have any down or right thrust angle in there? It almost looked like maybe you could have gotten off the throttle to see if it would have glided out, but that's a big ol' bird. You going to stay with her and repair her to see if you can get her going?
Hi Johnspop. I thought it might have been torque effect too; I made the motor mount as straight as possible :S. There's some warping in the wings that I thought could be another culprit.

I might order some HK batteries tonight but I'm not planning to get it flying as a regular because its a relationship airplane. If I keep it (and fix it again) I'll fly it again when I get new batteries.

I'm thinking about making a large (really simple) SPAD monoplane to take footage of the mountains here and fly FPV. The snow on top of the pile of 8'x4' political signs on the shed is starting to melt. . .

I feel very good about getting this in the air. I consider the project finished.
Y.P.F. is offline Find More Posts by Y.P.F.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2013, 12:02 AM
Young Poor and Fun
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2012
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevstra View Post
Awesome job on getting her off the ground even if for a few seconds. She came up fairly quickly and level but then looked to drift to the left. It almost seemed like the ailerons weren't working at all or very little. Could have been to much draw on the weak battery and the servos were starved. I bet you try her with a full, fully functional battery and she will fly just fine
Kevstra,

I agree on the battery. My Ailerons were pretty puny for a plane this big and slow although there was some prop-wash going over them so they may have been starved, you know more than me on that. I'm moving to a smaller place so I might not keep the airframe. If I do keep it I will try it with another battery setup.

Thanks for watching!!
Y.P.F. is offline Find More Posts by Y.P.F.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2013, 11:00 AM
Registered User
JohnsPop's Avatar
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,818 Posts
Makes sense. Good luck on your next project! If you want something pretty simple, check out Bex's Avispads. He has built them up to 8' wingspans with very little internal support, he uses hot glue on all his builds, they're electric and he uses them for aerial photography. They're basically like the Avistar trainers and they fly great from everything I've read on them.

Found some links:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=avispad

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=avispad
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Last edited by JohnsPop; Apr 01, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2013, 04:30 PM
Young Poor and Fun
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2012
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
Makes sense. Good luck on your next project! If you want something pretty simple, check out Bex's Avispads. He has built them up to 8' wingspans with very little internal support, he uses hot glue on all his builds, they're electric and he uses them for aerial photography. They're basically like the Avistar trainers and they fly great from everything I've read on them.

Found some links:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=avispad

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=avispad
Thanks JohnsPop, I checked out the links.

I'm thinking of making something more like the Skywalker 1680 or an Easystar pusher type. I'd love to have something huge that I could hand carry into places and possibly hand launch and belly land. Maybe something like the Indian MOSS: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1151271
Y.P.F. is offline Find More Posts by Y.P.F.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2013, 08:47 PM
Envies his own avatar
rockyabq's Avatar
Albuquerque, NM
Joined May 2008
596 Posts
A flight is a flight! I'd consider that one a success despite the sideways slide. Good job for sticking with it!
rockyabq is online now Find More Posts by rockyabq
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2013, 08:59 AM
Registered User
JohnsPop's Avatar
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,818 Posts
OO yeah, those would be great for FPV platforms! Easy to get all the gear mounted up front.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video Build - GWS Pico Tiger Moth NPS Version (white) spray paint TheLeabres Electric Plane Talk 7 May 25, 2012 04:15 AM
Discussion looking for the build manual (instructions) of tiger moth 400 jaas75 GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 7 Mar 05, 2012 01:54 PM
Discussion Help, im building a GWS tiger moth 400 and lost the manual jaas75 Parkflyers 4 Feb 28, 2012 07:19 AM
Discussion Help me build GWS pico tiger moth or bigger 400 tiger moth wrangler Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 2 Dec 07, 2006 12:28 AM
88" Pilot Tiger Moth Kit, NIB gavoss Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Mar 23, 2002 11:36 AM