SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 30, 2014, 07:34 AM
Crash=start of next project
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetigm View Post
If the servo is very close to the modem the servo going absolutley crazy I tried to do different wiring, nothing helps, only reducing power and placing >0.8 m. Even if to cover servo by alu foil with a sticky layer and connect the GND to it, doesn't help.
At the moment I don't know how to use RFD900 on my X8.
I know this won't be much help, except to say it can be done. I use the RFD900 with Hitec servos without issue. This has only happened to me when I used a high power VTx with cheap servos. Then the RF from the Tx drives the servo amps crazy and they twitch a great deal.
Btw, you can get very long range even at 25dBm on the air RFD900 as long as your ground control is also and RFD900. In fact, I use a HobbyKing telem radio at 20 dBm for air and RFD900 for GCS. I easily get 5 miles range.
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2014, 05:29 AM
Joined Apr 2010
157 Posts
Just made a personal best flight out to 26km using EzUHF with RFD900 for a data link and noticed that my telemetry dropped out at about 24km.

When I got home I tried to connect it to the GUI and it just gave me a message ....Failed to load settings. Please try again....

I wonder if someone could offer an answer to my problem as I would like to conduct some flights while monitoring the rssi...
Gorrie is offline Find More Posts by Gorrie
Old May 20, 2014, 09:57 PM
Joined Oct 2011
137 Posts
So ahh.. one of my RFD900's didn't survive today. It's burnt to a crisp. Can I order another (just one) and bind it to the other?

My firely crash:
Quadcopter Crash (0 min 28 sec)
jb_bak is offline Find More Posts by jb_bak
Old May 21, 2014, 08:11 AM
Crash=start of next project
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_bak View Post
So ahh.. one of my RFD900's didn't survive today. It's burnt to a crisp. Can I order another (just one) and bind it to the other?

My firely crash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fsj...jRPidEQjmdwoEQ
Man, sorry for the loss. That was a disaster! Yeah you can order just one at any of the shops that carry them separate. I believe RFD900 Aus has them one at a time.
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Old May 21, 2014, 04:26 PM
Joined Oct 2011
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN I Dawg View Post
Man, sorry for the loss. That was a disaster! Yeah you can order just one at any of the shops that carry them separate. I believe RFD900 Aus has them one at a time.
Thanks man, just ordered one from Event38. They seem like a good company.
jb_bak is offline Find More Posts by jb_bak
Old May 26, 2014, 12:59 PM
aka JoshW, damightyj
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2013
218 Posts
Yikes, sorry to hear about your crash!

You can definitely order just one. Note it isn't a "binding" process on these radios, but rather an ability to talk to eachother because they are on the same frequency and netid.

Good luck with the next build!
JoshW24 is offline Find More Posts by JoshW24
Old Jun 01, 2014, 10:22 AM
Graham Dyer
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
701 Posts
Hi Seppo, we're using a Lawmate 1.2GHz VTx/VRx with the RFD900's and we're getting banding and jitter on the video at distances of ~3km+, if the RFD900 is separated from the VRx by 1-1.5m the banding goes away. It seems the same as mentioned in post#258, I presume it's the Lawmate VRx that isn't filtering properly but can anything be done to put these two components closer together as we need them both up high on a tall mast?
pardus is offline Find More Posts by pardus
Last edited by pardus; Jun 02, 2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2014, 03:46 PM
Joined Apr 2010
157 Posts
Watching with interest. I have the same issue but with different brand video gear.

Putting the VRX at the end of a 20 ft extension cable I have been to 30 km with no problems but if possible I would like to get the modem and VRX a little closer together...
Gorrie is offline Find More Posts by Gorrie
Old Jun 04, 2014, 04:01 AM
Graham Dyer
Joined Jul 2003
701 Posts
Trying to update an RFD900a from Sik 1.5 to 1.9 but am getting a "Unexpected byte read instead of INSYNC byte" and a failure to contact bootloader error?
Any ideas?

Edit: managed to get it to flash using the Ardupilot Mission Planner
Last edited by pardus; Jun 04, 2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 04:18 PM
Joined Jun 2013
3 Posts
Is is possible to use RFD900 legally outside USA?
Why not just copy frequency band from Z-Wave guys?

Z-Wave Radio uses the 868.42 MHz SRD Band (Europe); the 900 MHz ISM band: 908.42 MHz (United States); 916 MHz (Israel); 919.82 MHz (Hong Kong); 921.42 MHz (Australian/New Zealand)
valentt is offline Find More Posts by valentt
Old Jul 04, 2014, 07:41 AM
Italy, Veneto, Vicenza
Joined Dec 2011
112 Posts
It looks like that I can't make the rdf900 ground station work with a 3dr radio. Those are my settings:

http://i.imgur.com/6lm1oat.png

Any suggestion? Thank you.
cedivad is offline Find More Posts by cedivad
Old Jul 04, 2014, 07:45 AM
Graham Dyer
Joined Jul 2003
701 Posts
RFD 900 can only connect to another RFD900, you can't connect to a 3DR radio if that's what you're trying to do?
Old Jul 04, 2014, 09:07 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus View Post
RFD 900 can only connect to another RFD900, you can't connect to a 3DR radio if that's what you're trying to do?
Are you sure. I haven't tried but I read some where they are compatible unless you loaded the latest firmware on the RFD900 that allows for additional relay function that is not supported by 3DR unit.

https://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-...ki/RFD900Radio
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jul 04, 2014, 10:26 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,369 Posts
Quote:
Wait what? I use a RFD900 all the time with my 3dR (and clone) radios all the time. You just have to make sure you're on similar firmwares and settings. Even then I think I'm off by one revision between the two radios.

@cedivad - Looking at it you may have to downrev your RFD.
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Jul 04, 2014, 12:02 PM
aka JoshW, damightyj
Joined Jun 2013
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedivad View Post
It looks like that I can't make the rdf900 ground station work with a 3dr radio. Those are my settings:

http://i.imgur.com/6lm1oat.png

Any suggestion? Thank you.
Hmm, I've seen this before. Is the green light solid on the radios when powered up? Usually I've seen where the tx/rx wires on the radio to the autopilot are crossed.

Quote:
Absolutely untrue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
Are you sure. I haven't tried but I read some where they are compatible unless you loaded the latest firmware on the RFD900 that allows for additional relay function that is not supported by 3DR unit.

https://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-...ki/RFD900Radio
It will work, I've gone several miles several times with an RFD900 in the ground station and a 3dr radio (both old and new) in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster View Post
Wait what? I use a RFD900 all the time with my 3dR (and clone) radios all the time. You just have to make sure you're on similar firmwares and settings. Even then I think I'm off by one revision between the two radios.

@cedivad - Looking at it you may have to downrev your RFD.
Def don't down-rev, try to uprev the 3dr radio to at least 1.7 (but pref 1.9) Either way, I've also made this connection work (1.6sik talking to 1.9sik)

It will work, but, having them on the same rev never hurts! I'd recommend trying to get the settings loaded from the same program. Use APMPlanner2 or Mission Planner or the RFDTools to read the settings off both radios and see if anything else pops up.

1.9 (technically 1.8) introduces some capabilities for high latency links but is still backwards compatible with 1.6. If you read settings from both radios in the same tool, that may help with further diagnostics.
JoshW24 is offline Find More Posts by JoshW24