HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2011, 01:30 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirt57 View Post
OK guys, just because you don't want it to be a hardware problem doesn't mean it isn't. If it is a hardware problem, then that is what needs to be fixed. If it is a firmware problem, then THAT is what needs to be fixed. Maybe it is both. But ALL avenue need to be tested, not just one.
I'm not questioning their ability to get it working at some point (I know they will), I'm just asking why they are continuing a method that has been shown to not work as well as Josh's changes.

If you already have data in front of you that is giving much better results than what you are on now, why not take this into consideration and move forward with it?

Side note: I'm hoping for a firmware change as I have 4 sets of FC/AHRS/Compass/GPS setups here so hardware swapping is going to seriously hinder the timeline to my customers.

I'll say one thing though, I haven't had issues with grabbing sats. in a decent amount of time, I am getting a solid 8. I will attempt a return to home. The main change with my setup vs. most of other people's setups is my ESCs. My ESCs are regular ones and on the boom since I'm using a large frame. I wonder if the XA ESC puts out some RF in the 1.1Ghz-1.6Ghz range, has anyone run a spectrum analyzer near their gps for those who can't receive much of anything? Just a thought is all.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Last edited by Sid3ways; May 12, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 01:36 PM
United Kingdom, Weaverham
Joined Feb 2010
194 Posts
Quote:
OK guys, just because you don't want it to be a hardware problem doesn't mean it isn't. If it is a hardware problem, then that is what needs to be fixed. If it is a firmware problem, then THAT is what needs to be fixed. Maybe it is both. But ALL avenue need to be tested, not just one. The one thing I do know is, XAircraft will fix it. They had a bad batch of prop, what it they do, they send everyone who was in that group a new set of props. They had some bad stand-offs, everyone who was in that group got new stand offs. With the X600 they replaced the complete FC, ESC and motors because of bad quality control. So I have every confidence they will solve this problem no matter where it is.

Rant over, lets go flying.

- Jeff
sure your right just cant wait to finally fly it
wiggysk10 is offline Find More Posts by wiggysk10
Old May 12, 2011, 02:18 PM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,966 Posts
Quote:
OK guys, just because you don't want it to be a hardware problem doesn't mean it isn't. If it is a hardware problem, then that is what needs to be fixed. If it is a firmware problem, then THAT is what needs to be fixed. Maybe it is both. But ALL avenue need to be tested, not just one. The one thing I do know is, XAircraft will fix it. They had a bad batch of prop, what it they do, they send everyone who was in that group a new set of props. They had some bad stand-offs, everyone who was in that group got new stand offs. With the X600 they replaced the complete FC, ESC and motors because of bad quality control. So I have every confidence they will solve this problem no matter where it is.

Rant over, lets go flying.

- Jeff
You're right Jeff,

its just a shame That Mr Peng or whoever made the decision to save a few dollars by not sending out a couple of test units and not using the better U-blox chipset is probably going to spend a lot more dollars fixing it.
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old May 12, 2011, 02:23 PM
United Kingdom, England, Barrow-in-Furness
Joined Oct 2009
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb View Post
I am glad someone noticed this.

The fact that they are looking at a hardware fix in the form of a more powerful antenna suggests that we may be stuck with the default settings of the U-Blox Lea-5s which are not optimised for UAV's never mind Static hovering machines

The Lea 5H is the one all other Uav gps systems use if they choose the U-blox chipset. it's a couple of dollars per unit more expensive but is totally configurable and upgradable. The Lea-5s is aimed more at car sat-navs etc. oh well
I see I was fully correct then Josh heh. I cant see anything in the GPS module with flash memory, so they cant be upgraded, the settings cannot be stored. So even with a new antenna it will still not work as advertised and will always over correct and end up flying off at high speed. The only way this can be fixed is with new hardware. You are correct with the 5H should have been the way to go. Lets hope XA will send us all free WORKING GPS some day this year eh.

Back to hover mode
Dreamspec is offline Find More Posts by Dreamspec
Old May 12, 2011, 02:38 PM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamspec View Post
I see I was fully correct then Josh heh. I cant see anything in the GPS module with flash memory, so they cant be upgraded, the settings cannot be stored. So even with a new antenna it will still not work as advertised and will always over correct and end up flying off at high speed. The only way this can be fixed is with new hardware. You are correct with the 5H should have been the way to go. Lets hope XA will send us all free WORKING GPS some day this year eh.

Back to hover mode
hi

No, Have a read of the data sheet, you can change some configuration messages after the u-blox lea- 5s has booted; via config_0 (although that pin does not seem to be connected), There is also a battery maintained ram memory . However there is no on-board flash memory so that means configuration settings have to be loaded into the chip from elsewhere every time it boots up.

Some of the issues I currently see are about free memory in the gps module and the delivery of the messages to the chipset.

Using the Lea 5H would have saved them and us a lot of hassles and cost them a lot less in the long run I suspect
Last edited by Joshbb; May 12, 2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 12, 2011, 02:57 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbill View Post
I have always flown my X650 in cruise mode, without many problems. When I got the GPS/compass I started doing some practice flying in hover mode. It does seem stable and easier to fly with the auto level that hover mode has, but every time I move it, it has a bad "bounce back" when it stops. Like it's over correcting or something. I'm just using the Xaircraft settings for 3s. What can I change to tame this?

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcapsule View Post
Thats because it is
Thanks for being so helpful tech! You da man.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
badbill is online now Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2011, 04:44 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
Just a random note, finally got around to getting the Quanum onto the XL Y6. Haven't weighed it yet but it has some girth.

Motors: 6x AVRoto 2814
ESC: 6x HK Blueseries 30A
Props: APC 11x4.7 top and bottom
Lipo: Turnigy 4S 5800mAh (30C)

Hovering @ 21amps. 3.5 amps per motor to hover something so heavy is very impressive. Getting down to the MK3538 amp range for half the price on the AVRotos.

I will run the bottom motors on 12x3.8 props as Josh did and check my findings.

Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old May 12, 2011, 05:56 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Deviating from all the GPS talk... Has anyone managed/needed to balance there motor's?? I tried but really couldn't tell... My blades are balanced but when I'm videoing from my camera I'm getting a fair amount of vibration being picked up and I can't seem to isolate it! It doesn't appear to be effecting the way the quad flies and photo's come out a majority of the time fine with a high shutter speed, but video I'm getting lots of jello.

I've tried 3 different camera's and all suffer with varying degree's... Has anyone any suggestions?
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old May 12, 2011, 05:57 PM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
Just a random note, finally got around to getting the Quanum onto the XL Y6. Haven't weighed it yet but it has some girth.

Motors: 6x AVRoto 2814
ESC: 6x HK Blueseries 30A
Props: APC 11x4.7 top and bottom
Lipo: Turnigy 4S 5800mAh (30C)

Hovering @ 21amps. 3.5 amps per motor to hover something so heavy is very impressive. Getting down to the MK3538 amp range for half the price on the AVRotos.

I will run the bottom motors on 12x3.8 props as Josh did and check my findings.

nice build are you running the escs at 16khz? ps. I ran 12x38 on top not bottom.
Old May 12, 2011, 06:09 PM
Suffolk
Joined Dec 2008
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Deviating from all the GPS talk... Has anyone managed/needed to balance there motor's?? I tried but really couldn't tell... My blades are balanced but when I'm videoing from my camera I'm getting a fair amount of vibration being picked up and I can't seem to isolate it! It doesn't appear to be effecting the way the quad flies and photo's come out a majority of the time fine with a high shutter speed, but video I'm getting lots of jello.

I've tried 3 different camera's and all suffer with varying degree's... Has anyone any suggestions?
Have you checked all the screws? I found when mine had a bit of vibration some of the screws had loosened off a bit.
I retightened them and it cured it, worth a check.
russdelaneyuk is offline Find More Posts by russdelaneyuk
Old May 12, 2011, 06:45 PM
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Feb 2011
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbill View Post
Thanks for being so helpful tech! You da man.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
anytime billy boy
techcapsule is offline Find More Posts by techcapsule
Old May 12, 2011, 06:59 PM
Joined Nov 2010
687 Posts
hey everybody,xaircraft tools 2.01 for the 650? nice interface...
boxhead530 is offline Find More Posts by boxhead530
Old May 12, 2011, 07:02 PM
Canada, QC, Greenfield Park
Joined Jun 2009
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post

I use Zeal gel but you can use any type of absortion tape (thick). Put it between the camera and mount. I put two large pieces on each side of the camera screw and it has helped. I'm working on isolating the camera more than the mount as you can't do too much with the way the mount is attached unless you want to get more creative. My camera is light and I tried adding more weight onto the mount as well...helped a bit but the zeal gel worked better.
OneSkidShort is offline Find More Posts by OneSkidShort
Old May 12, 2011, 07:11 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
I know I reported early on of my GPS not locking issue with my X450 frame. I also posted on RCG and Jingchen that adding a torroid to the FC lead helped and I can now get satellite locks. I haven't done much to try altitude, position, and RTH yet so can't comment much on that. Jingchen told me they will look into it and it appears more folks are having issues. I'm sure it'll get worked out in the long run. I was ready to send my GPS back for refund until after the torroid helped. I'll continue to hope for the best so this gets worked out to everyone's satisfaction. I thank those with more knowledge than me (Joshbb, etc) who are working to help identify issues too.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2011, 07:14 PM
Joined Nov 2010
687 Posts
Quote:
Using the USB hub in between is probably a good idea. Something else you can to to protect your computer (or the USB hub) is disconnect the motors at the ESC. Then make your change, and plug your motors back in one at a time. At least if only one motor is plugged in, it won't pull as much power as 4 but you will still be able to see if you have been successful.

- Jeff
i thought about that one motor, but what does that do to the esc board, is there an inbalence in current flow...???
i have been too busy to do a check maybe tonight will get to finish eletric check...
boxhead530 is offline Find More Posts by boxhead530