HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2014, 04:18 AM
Finland
Joined Nov 2011
12 Posts
Discussion
How to reprogram cheapo brushed ESC

Hey there,

I've got this ESC that I've used during the winter on a short-lived car project and now I'd like to put in my boat. The question is how do I reprogram it, or more specifically, must I have the motor connected during the process?

The instruction sheet just says
"1. Switch on the TX power and then the speed controller, slowly advance the throttle, observe the rotation direction of the motor..."

"2. Turn off the speed controller and TX power. You are finished for testing."

So must I apply full throttle while the battery and motor are connected? Seems silly, as it will rev the nuts off the motor.

EDIT: it doesn't have any LEDs or anything.
kormoran is offline Find More Posts by kormoran
Last edited by kormoran; May 03, 2014 at 05:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2014, 10:38 AM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,273 Posts
The esc makes the motor beep (by sending square waves of specific frequencies). If it says turn it on with full throttle, it won't rev up, it will go into program mode.
boaterguy is offline Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old May 05, 2014, 02:16 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,057 Posts
kormoran.
There is no programing as such with those ESC'c.
What the instructions are telling you to do is just check the rotation of your motor & prop.
No, you don't need to go to full throttle.
785boats is offline Find More Posts by 785boats
Old May 05, 2014, 03:22 PM
Finland
Joined Nov 2011
12 Posts
So it appears. Unfortunately the bugger doesn't seem to give full power to the motor. I've tried switching the motor leads around but to no avail - the power seems limited in both reverse and forward drive. Hence the question about reprogramming.

My other ESC, a bit more sophisticated Robbe Rookie 35, gives the boat a normal top speed, but it has other issues (the reverse function is on the blink and sometimes the ESC just ceases to function altogether).
kormoran is offline Find More Posts by kormoran
Old May 05, 2014, 06:24 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kormoran View Post
So it appears. Unfortunately the bugger doesn't seem to give full power to the motor. I've tried switching the motor leads around but to no avail - the power seems limited in both reverse and forward drive. Hence the question about reprogramming.

My other ESC, a bit more sophisticated Robbe Rookie 35, gives the boat a normal top speed, but it has other issues (the reverse function is on the blink and sometimes the ESC just ceases to function altogether).
I didn't realize it was a brushed ESC.
Plug it in while holding full throttle, if you hear a set of beeps release the throttle back to neutral. If you do not, release it after about 3 seconds.
boaterguy is offline Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old May 06, 2014, 02:02 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,057 Posts
kormoran.
Does it give higher revs when you hit reverse with the trigger on your TX ? If so, then you need to reverse the throttle channel on your TX with the selector switch.

These ESC's give 100% forward output but only 50% ( I think) output in reverse.
Changing the direction on the TX should put the 100% in the forward direction.
Note. You may need to swap the motor leads around again to get the right prop rotation .
DO NOT swap the battery leads around. I don't think that they have reverse polarity protection.
785boats is offline Find More Posts by 785boats
Old May 08, 2014, 09:28 AM
Joined May 2014
2 Posts
you are right,you hear a set of beeps release the throttle back to neutral. If you do not, release it after about 3 seconds.
nobikaizhan is offline Find More Posts by nobikaizhan