HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:36 PM
winchester, UK
Joined Jul 2010
195 Posts
Help!
Help identifying this pattern ship I was given

Hi all, hopefully one or some of you can help with this...

I've just been given this pattern ship to add to my fleet, but neither I, nor its original owner know quite what it is.

It has a 68inch (ish) span, is powered by a 61 2 stroke, with rear exit exhaust. The muffler is housed within the fuselage, with just the rubber deflector showing.

I think it was probably built late 80's early 90's. It has retracts operated by a single gear servo in the fuselage.

I think it was a scratchbuild, but must have been from some plans.....

Any ideas?.... I have no idea on where to put the COG or for control surface throws at present....

Thanks, photos attached

James
jimmyhorns is offline Find More Posts by jimmyhorns
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:21 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,844 Posts
Well, I'll be darned!

Jimmy, that could well be a Prettner Mystic 60. The trim scheme disguises it a bit but if you could take 2D top, bittom and side shots of the model that would be helpful in getting a positive ID. Some close up shots of the engine and exhaust area would also help.

If that's a Mystic, you have one pretty rare plane. In fact, I don't believe kits or plans for it were ever released because EZ out of Japan was kitting an ARF of it. Since Prettner campaigned it as the last of his competition models in '92 and the EZ factory burned down the same year, not many Mystics saw the light of day.

Then again, it might be an entirely different model. It sure has Mystic overtones though.

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:25 PM
Lubbock, TX
Joined May 2008
467 Posts
Could Be....

Hi,

I think that this looks a lot like the Eclipse that may have been kitted by Hanson?
Navy Fly Guy is offline Find More Posts by Navy Fly Guy
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:21 PM
winchester, UK
Joined Jul 2010
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
Well, I'll be darned!

Jimmy, that could well be a Prettner Mystic 60. The trim scheme disguises it a bit but if you could take 2D top, bittom and side shots of the model that would be helpful in getting a positive ID. Some close up shots of the engine and exhaust area would also help.

If that's a Mystic, you have one pretty rare plane. In fact, I don't believe kits or plans for it were ever released because EZ out of Japan was kitting an ARF of it. Since Prettner campaigned it as the last of his competition models in '92 and the EZ factory burned down the same year, not many Mystics saw the light of day.

Then again, it might be an entirely different model. It sure has Mystic overtones though.

David

Yes the trim is definitely hand-done, rather than being the ARTF style printed covering.

I will take photos as you request, and then post back

Thanks you two for the input.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:39 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,748 Posts
I would venture a guess that it could be a Hanno Prettner Calypso myself.
http://www.trentonrcflyers.com/pattern/calypso2.jpg

They mention the Mystic here in this article about Hanno Prettner.
http://www.aerowold.com/topic/hanno-prettner/
But that plane looks different as the Mystic did not have retracts on it as far as I remember. The OP's plane could have retracts installed on it.

earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jan 16, 2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:52 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,091 Posts
Methinks its something Dave Smith did.

Possibly an integra, but UK models are tough to get info on these days.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:54 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
They mention the Mystic here in this article about Hanno Prettner.
http://www.aerowold.com/topic/hanno-prettner/
But that plane looks different as the Mystic did not have retracts on it as far as I remember. The OP's plane could have retracts installed on it.

Ha, that's a crappy reference, as you're actually looking at 3 different mystics, the mystic 60, mystic 120 and the mystic BGX.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:09 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2011
79 Posts
Looks like a Calypso to me too, maybe the canopy is backwards. Also looks a lot like the Spigas from the Classic Pattern list.?? Nice plane ya got there!
VCscott is offline Find More Posts by VCscott
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:53 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,844 Posts
The vertical fin rises directly from the fuse sides and feathers in to the fuse along the bottom LE. It looks to be airfoiled. The wing also appears to be "center mounted" with a belly pan underneath. These two facts alone would prevent it from being a Calypso.

On the other hand, if the wing has no TE taper and is straight, that would prevent it from being a Mystic. It's hard to gauge the details without the closer shots and planform views.

As Greg says, that Mystic shot is pretty confusing given there were at least 4 different Mystics: the 30, 60, 120 and BGX. The 60 is the version we have the least info on which is what caught my eye on this plane.

David
Last edited by doxilia; Feb 03, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:10 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,091 Posts
Yeah, it's a head-scratcher allright!

I tend to get a bit confused with UK models (I'm assuming it's a UK design still), as they all sort of look the same. I now that guys like Ken Binks and Terry Westrop and Dave Smith were producing a lot of aircraft with that long, low fuse, straight TE tapered wings, and taildraggers that were all the rage in the 90s. So much so that they kept it well into the 2m rule change. They just made bigger, longer low-riders!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:12 PM
winchester, UK
Joined Jul 2010
195 Posts
Detailed photos to follow once I get back from the night shift...

There is a good possibility that this came across the water from Canada.

The chap who gave it to me wasnt its original owner, but harks from Canada, and thinks he may have brought it over with him, rather than getting hold of it in the UK, but cant be sure it was this model...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:54 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,091 Posts
Can you contact him for more details?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:07 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,844 Posts
The plot thickens...

I was going to say it looked like a build from this side of the pond but the design comes from that side.

David
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:19 AM
Northern CA
Joined Feb 2005
105 Posts
Looks like a Wolfgang Matt Joker with a different canopy to me. The Joker had a 70" wingspan, OP here says he measured ~68". Maybe the owner had to replace the canopy for some reason. Look at that lonnng nose... just like a Joker.
JWink is offline Find More Posts by JWink
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:14 PM
Joined Apr 2009
17 Posts
I can't identify the plane based to my poor knowledge compare to peoples above who knows better than me.
At the first it looked to me the calypso, but I think in a second sight that the canopy and the canopy area are not as the same as the calypso.
But! I like very much the paint scheme, can I borrow it for my plane? (-: (-:

BR
Avi
avidek is offline Find More Posts by avidek