HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
Discussion
miss llumar

whats the biggest nitro motor i can fit in a miss llumar. and can you post link as to were i can get it from.

i want something i can bolt right up with no fabricating. but if i can go bigger with a little fabrication then i can give that i try to.

i have a .18 in there right know. and i need something faster. even though the .18 is a nice motor. it starts up everytime no problems. and is consistant. i still want to go faster.
nachoz is offline Find More Posts by nachoz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Feb 2012
93 Posts
I would play around with different pipes or props you could probably put a .21 in that boat but bigger engines dont always meen more speed. Get an O.S .18 with a tuned pipe.Doesnt that boat come with a .15?
MN fish is offline Find More Posts by MN fish
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:16 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,906 Posts
There have been .21's shoehorned in them but it's a lot of work which appears to be what you want to avoid.
If you really want to make it faster, you're actually thinking the wrong way, go smaller! Yup, drop a little Nova Rossi .12 in that boat as those are true racing engines cranking out 38-42,000 RPM which is about double of what the sport stocker you have is doing.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
There have been .21's shoehorned in them but it's a lot of work which appears to be what you want to avoid.
If you really want to make it faster, you're actually thinking the wrong way, go smaller! Yup, drop a little Nova Rossi .12 in that boat as those are true racing engines cranking out 38-42,000 RPM which is about double of what the sport stocker you have is doing.
the nova rossie .12 motor. is it straight bolt to the old mount.
nachoz is offline Find More Posts by nachoz
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:55 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,906 Posts
It should be as the majority of .12-.18 engines will fit in the same mounts.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Feb 2012
93 Posts
That boat will only go so fast and you wont be able to control it. I would go with reliabilty instead of speed and think about buying a different boat if you want something faster. Ron will be able to point you in the right direction the best for your $$
Last edited by MN fish; Oct 30, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:42 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,906 Posts
Yes, maybe we'd better discuss your boat.
It was designed for a few things, mostly its design. The ProBoat Miss Bud's and LLumar's are to grab the attention of first-time buyers of boats as the Miss Bud in particular is known by just about everyone so a wannabe RC boater sees it in their LHS, it has what I call the "Golly, gee whiz" factor about it. The problem is that to make it appear as scale as possible there was a lot of give and take involved. Jerry Dunlap was in the design crew of these boats and they only had so much room to cram everything inside the very limited space. What that left was a realistic looking boat but very unscale-like handing as it is really tail-heavy. This makes it run more like a flat-bottomed boat than an actual hydroplane that should be riding on the tips of the front sponsons and have the prop as a third lifting point. It's going to take a lot of motor and a lifting prop to start to get it where it will ride like it should but it's still going to be fighting the tail heaviness problem.
Jerry was also on the design team for AquaCraft's Miss Vegas and the Deuce where he and the others had a lot more room to play with and get things right. That boat has successfully been converted to .21 power which incidentally can be a legal IMPBA Sport 21 hydro.
An O.S. .18 might be a better upgrade as it does have more power, a side exhaust which can be an even easier conversion than the Nova Rossi.
Lastly (for now), the LLumar is made to be a beginners boat, one to learn on. If you want more speed then maybe it's time to move on up to one made for the speed you want.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Feb 2012
93 Posts
Well said Ron
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:47 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,906 Posts
I've got to be straight up about this. A lot of RTR's are at the edge of what they can take as any more and the handling goes out the window. They are only made to take only so much speed and that's it whether it's nitro, gas or electric powered. Yes, there are a select few that can take more but not that many.

If you got it running well, you won the battle. Most people that bought them didn't know what to do with it once they got one as they were clueless as to how to tune a boat or launch the thing. That's why not long after they came out why there were so many of them for sale on eBay.
If you want to try for a little more performance you need to get the weight off the transom. A mini-servo for the rudder and a micro for the throttle than go to a smaller battery pack as you'll only need a tiny 4.8 volt one. Ounces add up.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Feb 2012
93 Posts
You can try running 50-60 percent nitro also that will put some pep in the engine just make sure you tune it where it isnt running to hot..