HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:01 PM
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Oct 2010
164 Posts
Question
Anyone have experience using this composite to VGA converter?

I have read many threads about similar devices , but can't find anyone actually using something like this. I am thinking about using an old 19 LCD monitor I have , but I am curious if these cheap devices are even worth trying..

My concern is the resolution or something would be very bad...

Anyone use one?

Thanks for your time.

ebay link http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Laptop-VG...ht_2247wt_1185
harfordhawk is offline Find More Posts by harfordhawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Jun 2010
7 Posts
I dont think it does what you need, I think it only goes from VGA to composite and not the other way around.
CptEagle is offline Find More Posts by CptEagle
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:25 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,284 Posts
I just set up an old computer monitor with an rca to vga converter, and it looks like it will work well. I haven't tried flying with it yet, but should be able to in the next couple of weeks.
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:29 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptEagle View Post
I dont think it does what you need, I think it only goes from VGA to composite and not the other way around.
Yep, make sure you get the right one as there are convertors for just about any configuation. I had to search through ebay for a couple of pages to find one that went from RCA toVGA, most of the listings are VGA to RCA.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:09 PM
Finland
Joined Apr 2011
27 Posts
Take a look at this video to VGA adapter.
varvar is offline Find More Posts by varvar
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined May 2012
69 Posts
Don't know off-hand if Black Magic make the exact converter type asked about here, but they make a bunch of good video hardware converters - best of all is a dongle Composite/S-Video/Component to H.264 encoder running what has to be the best H.264 codec for the money - see:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/uk/...videorecorder/

I've come across H.264 codecs' 5 x's this price not near as good.
CryptoHawk is offline Find More Posts by CryptoHawk
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:16 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,010 Posts
That black magic recorder looks nice...but its for Macs only.
philthyy is online now Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:00 AM
Joined Oct 2010
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptEagle View Post
@ CptEagle yeah I think you are right.. they look alike on ebay but have different specs

Well it sounds promising, but I would like to hear from someone using one of these cheapy ebay deals.. antennahead sounds close.. I don't wnat a usb device, no computer out there , just an old lcd monitor,,
thanks for the replies so far.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:09 AM
Joined May 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy View Post
That black magic recorder looks nice...but its for Macs only.
... it's also avaliable for IBM/PC's
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Nov 2005
2,010 Posts
Hmm. Must have missed it. On their site it seems like I only saw the one available for Macs.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:55 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harfordhawk View Post
@ CptEagle yeah I think you are right.. they look alike on ebay but have different specs

Well it sounds promising, but I would like to hear from someone using one of these cheapy ebay deals.. antennahead sounds close.. I don't wnat a usb device, no computer out there , just an old lcd monitor,,
thanks for the replies so far.
I should have already had this in the air, but I was having problems with the orginal airplane that I had all my fpv stuff on. the airplane proved to be very unstable, so I scrapped the plane. I am currently getting my new fpv plane dialed in so it should be soon. however my basement testing showed that in comparision when I had my vrx hooked directly to a portable dvd player with a 7" screen, there appears to be no difference in video quality when it is run through the converter hooked to the larger 17" monitor. during my testing, I had a loose camera wire and when I wiggled the wire, the screen would go to snow then come back on as soon as there was a good connection again, but I'm not sure if that indicates if it will bluescreen on me or not if the video signal encounters interferance??? I guese some los flying with someone watching the video feed will tell for sure. when I get home from work, i'll try to find an ebay link to the converter that I bought and some pictures of how I set up my monitor.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined May 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy View Post
Hmm. Must have missed it. On their site it seems like I only saw the one available for Macs.
Philthyy

Nope, you haven't missed it - its not advertised (why not, I haven't a clue) - I approached them and asked specifically about an option for IBM/PC. Even then got an initial reply saying "sorry, not avaliable", before getting an email a couple days latter to say that actually it was avaliable!
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,010 Posts
Sounds like typical Apple business antics. Trying to create a "unique" product, or essentially a product only available to them.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:03 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,284 Posts
Heres the link to the exact converter and seller that I purchased from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-Composit...item1c1574ff69

And a few photos once I had all of the components wiring converted to run off of a 3 cell lipo. I used the bec portion of an old esc to power the converter, the rest is powered directly from the 3cell lipo. I tried to take a picture of the image onscreen but the antiglare coating on the screen washes out any image that the camera is trying to capture. I feel the image quality is very good, and I have only seen better when one of my friends brought out a 32" flatscreen tv to the field with his setup.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Oct 2010
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Heres the link to the exact converter and seller that I purchased from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-Composit...item1c1574ff69

And a few photos once I had all of the components wiring converted to run off of a 3 cell lipo. I used the bec portion of an old esc to power the converter, the rest is powered directly from the 3cell lipo. I tried to take a picture of the image onscreen but the antiglare coating on the screen washes out any image that the camera is trying to capture. I feel the image quality is very good, and I have only seen better when one of my friends brought out a 32" flatscreen tv to the field with his setup.
Thanks for the details! Looks like it just may be an option for me.