SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
Discussion
Mercury M100F Foam Safe CA Will Not Dry

I recently cracked the leading 3 inches right next to the fuse on the left wing of my PZ P47 Thunderbolt. I have successfully used this same bottle of foam safe CA in the past in similar circumstances.

This time, however, the glue simply won't dry. It has been 3 days now, and the exposed CA is mostly dry, but when i press the crack together, tacky CA still squishes out.

I did not use any sort of activator (i hadn't in the past either) and I'm guessing that's where I went wrong as this CA relies on moisture to set.

Hindsight is good and all, but is there anything I can do to get this CA to dry? Would applying activator or water to the exposed CA do anything? It's not looking like any moisture is getting in there, so will this stuff ever dry?

Aside from buying a new wing, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
AndyManxx is offline Find More Posts by AndyManxx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:20 PM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,887 Posts
6 min epoxy
fnlrun is offline Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
There's still wet CA in there. It's impossible to get it out as it's only a crack and not a break. I don't think adding new epoxy on top of wet CA will work.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:59 PM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
Any other ideas?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:13 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,833 Posts
Hair dryer
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
Do you think the heat from the hair dryer will melt the Z-Foam?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
128 Posts
What ever you do, do not add epoxy to still wet CA...I had it chemicaly react and get VERY hot. I had a similar problem to yours, on my HK mustang, a crack in the wing right from new, tried CA, and it would not set, so the next day fired some 5 min epoxy into the crack, and it got hot enough to melt the beer cooler foam in some spots. As for CA not setting I find the same tube will not set and then 3 months later set as it should, I chalk it up to humidity (or lack of it).
lebl468 is offline Find More Posts by lebl468
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:13 AM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
128 Posts
For repairs that can sit over night I use a product called "Hold The Foam". It is a tube of what I suspect is white glue, but when it dries fully (24hrs) it is almost see through and hard a concrete. For stuff that has to fly now....5 min epoxy all the way.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:14 AM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyManxx View Post
Do you think the heat from the hair dryer will melt the Z-Foam?
I think you should be OK, just keep an eye on it.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:22 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hindhead
Joined May 2004
234 Posts
try putting saliva over it - that normally helps. it's natures activator

CA needs an anaerobic environment to set
desmo is offline Find More Posts by desmo
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:38 PM
Lawrence, Kansas
Joined Dec 2001
588 Posts
Don't know which foam your P-47 is made of. If it is EPP or one of the rubbery foams, CA kicker should be OK and it ought to catalyze it even down in the crack. What I can't remember is if kicker damages polystyrene foam. If your bird is polystyrene, shoot some kicker on some scrap foam from a cooler or something. If it survives, you are all set. If not, you can try dripping water on it, not sure how well it will penetrate but should certainly catalyze what is near the surface.

I think humidity is much more important than anaerobic conditions, it ought to be plenty anaerobic down in a crack in plastic sitting overnight.

- - Dave
DaveA is offline Find More Posts by DaveA
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:44 PM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,894 Posts
Hi,
CA is an acrylic resin the only trigger, or catalyst, it requires are the hydroxyl ions in water. Since almost any substrate you may want to glue will at least have trace amounts of water on it's surface CA will adhere to most anything.
However, as most balsa has some moisture in it the CA sets up quick. Foam on the other hand has no moisture and as such an accelerator needs to be used in most cases.

Lots of help here
http://mercuryadhesives.com/MercuryFAQ.htm
Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyManxx View Post
I recently cracked the leading 3 inches right next to the fuse on the left wing of my PZ P47 Thunderbolt. I have successfully used this same bottle of foam safe CA in the past in similar circumstances.

This time, however, the glue simply won't dry. It has been 3 days now, and the exposed CA is mostly dry, but when i press the crack together, tacky CA still squishes out.

I did not use any sort of activator (i hadn't in the past either) and I'm guessing that's where I went wrong as this CA relies on moisture to set.

Hindsight is good and all, but is there anything I can do to get this CA to dry? Would applying activator or water to the exposed CA do anything? It's not looking like any moisture is getting in there, so will this stuff ever dry?

Aside from buying a new wing, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor