HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:18 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
Daniel, shoe goo will be my choice. You can use regular CA on EPP for quick fix but not for build. I won' t use hot glue either except for hinges. The stock motor should be fine for 3d trainer. No benefit for going 4s. Good luck!
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:34 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya Addicted,

If is was me, I would fly the plane the way they send it to you and then start changing things if I wasn't happy.

A friend of mine recommends this glue - Beacon Foam Tac
http://www.filadelfosrc.com/index.ph...atid=42&id=146

I just ordered some but have not used it yet.

If you use CA you need regular, not foam safe. I have used that with good success. I usually just use CA when I want to "seep" glue into a joint. CA is the most brittle.

I have also used hot glue for repairs with good success - hot glue is heavy, though, but makes for quick easy repairs

I fly my Swift on a Power 10. It has a pretty wide speed envelope, but is not blazing fast. I like the slow flight characteristics on this plane. You can slow her down enough that it does not seem like she should still be flying - always amazes me.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:13 PM
Joined Feb 2013
13 Posts
Thanks guys for the support and quick responses also how good age the servos that come worth this plane? So I should only hot glue the hinges? How long does it tale the shoe goo to completely cure I'm super excited to get this bird in the air
addicted2flight is offline Find More Posts by addicted2flight
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:22 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
This plane comes pre-hinged. It just uses a thin joint of the EPP foam which seems to hold up. I don't know how good the servos are - i got the kit - so installed my own servos.

Wolfe
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:07 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,248 Posts
+1 on the Beacon Foam Tac. Good stuff and plenty fast setup, won't slow the build hardly at all. Twenty- thirty minutes between building steps. Just let it dry over-night before you fly it. Won't crack or cause a tear at the glue joint if you crash. Kind of expensive but it will build a good five planes per bottle.
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:38 AM
Joined Feb 2013
13 Posts
So I read about the beacon foam tac and it seems to be pretty consistent with shoe goo type glue for you guys that have used shoe goo what the drying time between steps I just don't want to take the plane out and have a wing fall of in mid flight. What servos are you guy that bought the kit version using ?
addicted2flight is offline Find More Posts by addicted2flight
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:39 AM
United States, MN, South St Paul
Joined Dec 2011
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2flight View Post
So I read about the beacon foam tac and it seems to be pretty consistent with shoe goo type glue for you guys that have used shoe goo what the drying time between steps I just don't want to take the plane out and have a wing fall of in mid flight. What servos are you guy that bought the kit version using ?
I used Welders Adhesive on my Swift, and i have read and seen may great things about its use on EPP. it does require over night cure, but firms up in a few hours. I would not fly it without letting it set over night. It can be found at Lowes,it is pretty cheap too.

here is a link to amazon just so you can see what it is.
http://www.amazon.com/Homax-Group-73.../dp/B005UJNH7E

For servos, the ones that came with it were total garbage, stripped them all within 2 flights, replaced with T-Pro MG90 servos.
Saqueeb is online now Find More Posts by Saqueeb
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:30 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,248 Posts
Shoo goo (also called "goop") works great too. I use it on my EPP wings. Takes crashes real well without tearing at the joints. Setup time is longer than Foam Tac though. With goop, you need to pin it or weigh it down, clamp it etc. and leave it over night before moving to the next step. With Foam Tac, put the two pieces together, pull them apart for a few seconds and put them back together, they are pretty stuck then. Set it aside for twenty or so minutes before doing the next glueing step. Will be dry enough to carefully handle and work on but not dry enough to fly. Welders is also highly rated for EPP but Foam Tac is better. I know guys that use Welders (I haven't because I can't ever find it locally) and they say it is very good. I don't know what the drying and working time is with it though. The guys that used Welders now use Foam Tac.... They build lots of 3D EPP planes. I'll still grab the goop to glue flying wing halves together but Foam Tac will get used for all my future 3D planes. Sticks real well to CF too.
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:10 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
Haven't try to Foam Tac since I have not built a foamie for a long time (still have two NIB in my basement though). I bought the last two Welders from my local Lowes last August and not being able to find it anywhere except on-line store. In stead of paying shipping charges, I tried the Goop and found it as good as Welders. Actually the Goop's (the purple one) setting time is shorter. I normally finished my build before midnight and went maiden after dinner the following day. Goop held up well in my experience. I have tried CA, hot glue and Welders/Goop for wing joints and for repair, Welders/Goop does the job best while hot glue is the worst. Normally the foam around the glued joint breaks at hard crash but not the joint. The downside is I keep adding glue to new cracks that adds a lot of weights- yes, I keep crashing them. I also use white Gorilla glue for special repair, such as crashing into a bush causing a big chunk of EPP missing near the motor mount and the middle of the wings. Gorilla glue would expand and fill the gaps, and I can trim it easily afterward.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:39 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Good discussion on glues here - thanks to all who took the time to make the rest of us a little smarter.

I just ordered a Katana and the smaller Yak54. Should get those early next week. I am becoming a TechOne Junkie LOL

Wolfe
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:19 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
Wolfewinde: Your TechOne fleet now is bigger than you GWS fleet!

I like Katana but cannot appreciate the "motor-behind-firewall" design in a foamie. Anyhow, you are not supposed to crash a EPO plane, or any plane. I also have the 36" Yak 54 as my trainer for kids. A lot of people say it's a bad 3Der, which I disagree. I will try to make a video of how the little Yak flies if I get a break from the snow!

Enjoy!
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:10 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya Vince,

I think my GWS fleet still has a slight edge, but not by much anymore. I do like the TechOne designs - and I like the prices.

I don't really 3D anyway, more sport aerobtic with a hint of 3D, so I don't care if it isn't the best 3D airplane.

Will look forward to your video

Wolfe
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:45 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Heya Addicted,

If is was me, I would fly the plane the way they send it to you and then start changing things if I wasn't happy.

A friend of mine recommends this glue - Beacon Foam Tac
http://www.filadelfosrc.com/index.ph...atid=42&id=146

I just ordered some but have not used it yet.

If you use CA you need regular, not foam safe. I have used that with good success. I usually just use CA when I want to "seep" glue into a joint. CA is the most brittle.

I have also used hot glue for repairs with good success - hot glue is heavy, though, but makes for quick easy repairs

I fly my Swift on a Power 10. It has a pretty wide speed envelope, but is not blazing fast. I like the slow flight characteristics on this plane. You can slow her down enough that it does not seem like she should still be flying - always amazes me.

Wolfe
Hey Wolfe, why not foam safe CA glue? Wouldn't it hurt the epp foam?
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
Foam safe CA is for EPS foam. Regular CA will have much better bonding with EPP foam.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:25 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Yep - Vince has it right

Wolfe