SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:37 AM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Thanks for sharing that detail, i setup the new throttle curve and lowered the pitch curve to max at 70% and i think the heli is very good for me at the moment, will order the new rx and wait for the 215 to be in stock again. But i have started to settle in and liking this heli now

After increasing the throttle, i see that the head is kind of moving side to side by about 1/4 inch. Seems something is not right in balancing or something, will check it, any pointers though?
dheerajjuneja is offline Find More Posts by dheerajjuneja
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:53 AM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Wow: Wowhobbies seems to not have "India" as shipping country option, can someone confirm if they ship to india?

Any suggestions about an alternate/better motor?
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:37 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheerajjuneja View Post
Wow: Wowhobbies seems to not have "India" as shipping country option, can someone confirm if they ship to india?

Any suggestions about an alternate/better motor?
Well, when it becomes available i could broker it for you. That would cost you quite a bit probably. I don't know what shipping from Florida to India would be. But add that to the original wow purchase price + shipping to me. Once i have the motor, i can invoice you though paypal for the rest of the money to ship it to you from here. Or maybe even figure out the total and invoice you all at once. Otherwise no one else sells the Turbo Ace motors that anyone i know of is aware of.. But if your willing to wait the time and pay the shipping fees and everything upfront, i'd be happy to do that for you .

Otherwise, the Extreme Spin 16,300kv motor is pretty decent if it comes soldered correctly. It is actually what i am flying on my D05 right now in the last few videos i've posted. It's major weakness is high force winds. It just does not have the torque. Extreme 3D is a little limited too. But it will fly the hell out of your helicopter in normal mode and light 3D. It really is a upgrade from the stock at any rate! Whatever you decide, good luck!
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Well, when it becomes available i could broker it for you. That would cost you quite a bit probably. I don't know what shipping from Florida to India would be. But add that to the original wow purchase price + shipping to me. Once i have the motor, i can invoice you though paypal for the rest of the money to ship it to you from here. Or maybe even figure out the total and invoice you all at once. Otherwise no one else sells the Turbo Ace motors that anyone i know of is aware of.. But if your willing to wait the time and pay the shipping fees and everything upfront, i'd be happy to do that for you .
Thank you so much to extend this offer, but i guess it would be too much for me right now.

Quote:
Otherwise, the Extreme Spin 16,300kv motor is pretty decent if it comes soldered correctly. It is actually what i am flying on my D05 right now in the last few videos i've posted. It's major weakness is high force winds. It just does not have the torque. Extreme 3D is a little limited too. But it will fly the hell out of your helicopter in normal mode and light 3D. It really is a upgrade from the stock at any rate! Whatever you decide, good luck!
I am not into extreme 3d, well not even sports flying as well for now, i guess this motor should be a good start for me, i am not looking at doing any descent 3D for atleast couple of months anyways. So i think best bet would be to order this Extreme Spin 16,300kv for now (if they ship to india, will check).

Thanks for your help, my next purchase would be the rx 2622v (after the motor).
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:32 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Thank you so much to extend this offer, but i guess it would be too much for me right now.

I am not into extreme 3d, well not even sports flying as well for now, i guess this motor should be a good start for me, i am not looking at doing any descent 3D for atleast couple of months anyways. So i think best bet would be to order this Extreme Spin 16,300kv for now (if they ship to india, will check).

Thanks for your help, my next purchase would be the rx 2622v (after the motor).
You should check around. The link i supplied was for a USA vendor. I'm positive you can find the Extreme Spin 16,300kv motor shipped from other locations to India, probably for less. The motor is produced in China, so i'm sure there are closer Asian suppliers since the Extreme Spin can be found in most hobby stores. Where as the Turbo Ace is only sold by wow, as far as anyone can tell.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:26 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,894 Posts
Oh yeah, if i hadn't already mentioned it or if you didn't already find it. You should take a look though my build long for the V120D05CS-Pro/Sport build. Some of it might help. Though the Durability gears are outdated. I will be updating the new method of preventative damages soon.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post21925046
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Oh yeah, if i hadn't already mentioned it or if you didn't already find it. You should take a look though my build long for the V120D05CS-Pro/Sport build. Some of it might help. Though the Durability gears are outdated. I will be updating the new method of preventative damages soon.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post21925046
Hey, i am having so much fun with this heli now, i am glad i bought it

I have not yet upgraded it any ways, just ensured that the blades are 100% balanced and 100% tracked. It took me some time to figure that out, but i am glad i was able to

I am only learning to hover, tail in i am very comfortable with, nose in i am ok with, but side ways is something that is going to take some time.

So, you can understand how exciting it is for me to be able to crash a heli 10 times with little or no damage to it, all i need to do is get angry at myself, learn not to over shoot my grade in terms of flying capabilities and fly again.

Thanks for so much help, will be hanging around here more often ...
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:00 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
Still new at flips I had a nasty crash last Sunday. This was the fist time I actually broke the RX.....would not bind anymore or even get a red light. Bummer but good thing I had another one. I also broke the main gear and bent the tail rotor shaft. I finally got her back together but then during some test flights I had very low power and sloppy tail hold. The ESC was getting way hot and the motor too. It finally occured to me that the ESC was shot. This is the second time this has happened on this particular heli. Once I got a new one installed the power was back, no more heat on the motor or ESC and the tail was holding well again.

So my thought is the belt drive has some natural resistance on the motor, compared to the D02s wtih the gear drive. The 215 T motor has plenty of power but I think the ESC wears out early on this D05 belt drive version. Just a thought.

I solved the problem with tearing up the main gear all the time. I bought some .32 mm or 20 gauge soft aluminum wire I use for the main gear sheer pin. It fits perfectly though the hole in the gear. I leave about a quarter inch on each side and bend it clockwise around the gear hub. I've tested it already and the wire sheers right off and saves the gear. I did some hard pitch pumps and more flips and the wire held nicely so now I run this wire on all my 120 size helis.
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:40 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH View Post
Still new at flips I had a nasty crash last Sunday. This was the fist time I actually broke the RX.....would not bind anymore or even get a red light. Bummer but good thing I had another one. I also broke the main gear and bent the tail rotor shaft. I finally got her back together but then during some test flights I had very low power and sloppy tail hold. The ESC was getting way hot and the motor too. It finally occured to me that the ESC was shot. This is the second time this has happened on this particular heli. Once I got a new one installed the power was back, no more heat on the motor or ESC and the tail was holding well again.

So my thought is the belt drive has some natural resistance on the motor, compared to the D02s wtih the gear drive. The 215 T motor has plenty of power but I think the ESC wears out early on this D05 belt drive version. Just a thought.

I solved the problem with tearing up the main gear all the time. I bought some .32 mm or 20 gauge soft aluminum wire I use for the main gear sheer pin. It fits perfectly though the hole in the gear. I leave about a quarter inch on each side and bend it clockwise around the gear hub. I've tested it already and the wire sheers right off and saves the gear. I did some hard pitch pumps and more flips and the wire held nicely so now I run this wire on all my 120 size helis.
That is also what i've been doing. I got some .032 aluminum stock rods. Its basically the same thing. I use CA to hold them in though. They are too soft and i don't like bending them. They are almost too soft i think. I'm fairly sure i sheered one mid flight today doing flips. All of a sudden the heli wouldn't pull up from a flip and then it went right into the ground! I did get it on video too. I haven't had that ESC issue with my D05, mine is still running for a while now. Though it's using a Spin motor right now, not a 215. Although the micro walkera ESCs have a tendency to degrade and go bad anyway. If there was a viable upgrade or lateral switch available i would probably try that. Because the V120 ESC is the ONLY one i have have little to no problems with. They just perform poorly and run too hot with the upgraded motors, making them perform worse as they heat up.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Has anyone tried to directly solder the stock motor to stock esc? Will that improve upon the motor performance?

I was looking at how to do it, but couldn't see a way to remove the connector from stock motor and esc cleanly enough to solder them without using addional wires.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:40 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
"Rafa CB100" has soldered his motor to the ESC. You might find him on the V120D02s thread and ask him about it. He has some mild power interruption that he was able to fix by soldering up the ESC to the motor. I've never tried it myself.
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:02 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone tried to directly solder the stock motor to stock esc? Will that improve upon the motor performance?

I was looking at how to do it, but couldn't see a way to remove the connector from stock motor and esc cleanly enough to solder them without using addional wires.
The issues are generally with the plug and pins. If your not making solid contact, and enough surface area making contact. The motor will have issues starting up or running correctly. I have an issue with a 200 build where one of the bullet connectors is loose so the motor cogs and jitters to get started. I know for a fact that cutting the bullet connectors off and soldering the wires together and/or soldering the wire directly to the ESC would fix the issue. Your just looking for a sold though way with as little resistance as possible. Sometimes those little plug and pin connections create more impedance than it's worth. I have not soldered my v120 motors directly. But i can only imagine it could help, not hurt.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:54 PM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Yup, the reason why I thought of removing the connectors is that they become hot after the flight. So, I think is creating more resistance than necessary, or is it a normal behaviour? Will try to get rid of the connectors and see if it makes any improvements (though as per integrity's recommendation a spin 16300 is already in shipping)

Integrity, I saw your ugrade pro/sport thread and its very good info, however I just needed the landing skid upgrade, but am unable to locate the xtreme landing skid for v120d05. Can you please help me with a link or a pointer where I can get a better skid?
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:06 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Yup, the reason why I thought of removing the connectors is that they become hot after the flight. So, I think is creating more resistance than necessary, or is it a normal behaviour? Will try to get rid of the connectors and see if it makes any improvements (though as per integrity's recommendation a spin 16300 is already in shipping)

Integrity, I saw your ugrade pro/sport thread and its very good info, however I just needed the landing skid upgrade, but am unable to locate the xtreme landing skid for v120d05. Can you please help me with a link or a pointer where I can get a better skid?
The extreme landing skids are not made for the d05. And there is little clearance for the main gear and motor shaft. They are made for the D02. I know your shopping from asia so you should look at your available shipping vendors that have them in stock for the D02 model.

When you get your spin motor, pull on the pins connected to the wires. Mine were not tined and were cold soldered to the pins. So the pins had poor contact and the motor was not running well or starting up properly. After soldering them properly it worked fine with the plug. But if you solder it directly it might be even better.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Thanks integrity, you have been very helpfull. Will do this and let you know how it goes. Will look for someone selling the xtreme landing gear, as the stock one is just pathetic.

Today, I managed to broke the ball joint on the main blade holder, which holds one of the linkage rod from the blade holder to swash plate, the worst part is that the ball joint left its thread part inside the blade holder only. Will I need t order a new blade holder now, or is there a way to get that section out of there to put in a new ball joint.
Site Sponsor