New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2015, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Not A Clue
United States, MO, Richmond
Joined Apr 2015
232 Posts
Discussion
First Impressions, Sport Cub S with Safe (not flying yet.)

I got my Sport Cub S in the mail today. If you, like me, happen to be before the beginning and considering a SCS for your first plane, here's what I think so far. Again, before flying even.
I bought the RTF version.
The packaging alone is a work of art. The box, with a plastic handle so you can carry it like a suitcase, is obviously intended as a permanent storage and carry case. There are cradles for the nose and prop, and for the fuselage forward of the tail feathers. There are little holes for the wheels to ride in so there is no pressure on the landing gear.
The radio locks into a recess in the packing with a comforting (although not audible) Click.
The battery was something of a shock. Somebody here referred to these as "stick of gum" batteries, but they are nowhere near that big. Not much bigger than a quarter stick of gum. I don't believe this battery has the mass of the battery that came with my Syma Xll, and this plane is vastly bigger than the little micro copter. I'm amazed this tiny battery will fly this plane for two minutes, let alone six or seven. See the pic with a quarter.
I picked up the plane and was surprised again. I know they have to be light, but... this plane doesn't weigh much more than a dust bunny from under my bed. Not a real big dust bunny, either. No wonder this miniature battery will power it in flight!
It's Styrofoam, but you knew that, but it's pretty high end Styrofoam. The beads it's made of are very, very small. Maybe a millimeter or less on average. Fit and finish is quite good. The working parts are very tiny - the servos are not encased, showing a tiny circuit board, a motor not more than half the diameter of a pencil, two incredibly tiny plastic gears... if a mere mortal assembled these things their eyes, and their manual dexterity, put mine to shame. I can hardly see how the assembly could be mechanized, but surely it must be.
Verdict, without flying it: I found it quite surprising in the flesh, but it's cool. Really cool. I'm dying to fly it.
I took several pics.
SlowJeff is offline Find More Posts by SlowJeff
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
3,725 Posts
Some people like to build small planes ......

P-51D Mustang 1:96 8 Channels (2 min 33 sec)
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:34 PM
Not A Clue
Joined Apr 2015
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Some people like to build small planes ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSgRTPGYEQA
WANT!
That is entirely TOO COOL!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:53 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,725 Posts
This is the world record smallest RC plane ( as far as I know ) .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...8&d=1216078863
Old Apr 28, 2015, 07:24 AM
Not A Clue
Joined Apr 2015
232 Posts
Wow. Just: wow.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by jobinseattle
Getting a Little Better
Joined Nov 2014
268 Posts
Overall the sport cub s is a good plane, however the foam in my opinion is low quality. I liked it before I destroyed cause I was not paying attention.
jobinseattle is offline Find More Posts by jobinseattle
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:41 AM
Find More Posts by Rampage
What tree?
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Aug 2005
3,271 Posts
I don't understand how you could possibly destroy this plane short of flying it into a mulcher or under a moving car tire..The thing's so light that it practically just bounces off of whatever you could possibly run it into. I've run it wide-open into a wrought-iron fence with only a small dent in the wing leading edge to show for my efforts.
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:54 AM
Joined Aug 2010
3,725 Posts
Low mass/momentum is the best " crash-proofing " there is !
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:00 PM
What tree?
Joined Aug 2005
3,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Low mass/momentum is the best " crash-proofing " there is !
Exactly. That's the single best thing about these super-lightweight micros. Especially flying over grass. "Oh no I'm in trouble!" Chop the power and let it go in, go pick it up and toss it in the air again..

It's like crashing into a mattress.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 01:45 PM
Getting a Little Better
Joined Nov 2014
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
I don't understand how you could possibly destroy this plane short of flying it into a mulcher or under a moving car tire..The thing's so light that it practically just bounces off of whatever you could possibly run it into. I've run it wide-open into a wrought-iron fence with only a small dent in the wing leading edge to show for my efforts.
I did not say I crashed it. I burned out the motor by putting a camera on it that was a little too heavy. When trying to replace I crossed the wires and when I plugged it in the plane caught fire and burned up.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by shonmac
United States, NJ, Dunellen
Joined Aug 2014
733 Posts
My neighbor is a beginner and he bought the hobbyzone duet . I recommended it but I should have recommended this one.
shonmac is offline Find More Posts by shonmac
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:00 PM
Not A Clue
Joined Apr 2015
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinseattle View Post
I did not say I crashed it. I burned out the motor by putting a camera on it that was a little too heavy. When trying to replace I crossed the wires and when I plugged it in the plane caught fire and burned up.
Meanin' no offense, but I don't think "not fireproof" is grounds to say foam is of low quality.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 06:00 AM
Getting a Little Better
Joined Nov 2014
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJeff View Post
Meanin' no offense, but I don't think "not fireproof" is grounds to say foam is of low quality.
Obviously I was not referring to the foam being low quality because it did not withstand a fire.

The foam being low quality is just my opinion compared to some of the other foam airplanes I have.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:51 PM
What tree?
Joined Aug 2005
3,271 Posts
Foam quality of mine was pretty good. Smooth and well-finished. Paint is flaking off of the fuselage but I expect that of Horizon planes, sadly. ZFoam doesn't hold paint well at all. One of the reasons I don't care for it.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 07:52 AM
Not A Clue
Joined Apr 2015
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Foam quality of mine was pretty good. Smooth and well-finished. Paint is flaking off of the fuselage but I expect that of Horizon planes, sadly. ZFoam doesn't hold paint well at all. One of the reasons I don't care for it.
This is my first ever RC plane, so obviously I'm drawing my conclusions in a vacuum. The beads in the foam seemed very small and tight to me - I guess what I can say for sure is that it exceeded my expectations for what a "foam model plane" would be.