Old Feb 11, 2015, 05:43 AM
Find More Posts by contact303
Joined Mar 2005
2,226 Posts
Mini-Review
BocamTR-1 All in One VTX, DVRRecorder and Cam

BocamTR-1 All in One VTX, DVRRecorder and Cam

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/boscam-tr1...er-p-1489.html

I have been looking to get myself a DVR recorder to record low-fi fpv videos from the ground without having to carry a mobius on board ever time i want to record something .
Well, whilst looking i got distracted and ended up with the All-in-one TR-1 from boscam .
It is a DVR but unlike others it comes complete with VTX 200mw and Camera
A all in one solution with 8 Ch on the 5.8=Ghz band .

The Boscam Camera&Transmitter is for aerial FPV, like as DJI phantom etc. small multicopter.
Features:
200mW transmitting power
About 600 meter image range at open field
All-aluminium case
Small size(36*18*43mm),light weight

Delivery 10 days from Asia to NLD TY Foxtechfpv ! Great !
First impression: A solid alloy Box construction . Looks indeed very sturdy and definitely can take a bash or 2 .
Second look , Why is the case the wrong way around ?
Looking at the shape and dimensions I don't really understand why the antenna connector is on the side .

It would indeed be much better on the other, long side of the case .
Also the height is slightly too tall . F#$%@ This will not fit in my mini frame?!
but of course this is my fault So remember, kids Read Description careful before you buy !
So after some more fitting rages, I have decided to mount the TR1 on the outside up front on my HEX frame.

This way I can connect an extension to the Antenna socket and move the antenna further back on the frame.

The form factor just isn't perfect for a Mini.
The TR1 will be much better suited for a larger project, like an fpv plane or wing . On bigger model's mounting the unit would be much easier , I am sure the TR1 would also it nicely on a gimbal .

Once installed we can see the weight saving are not massive but on the other hand wire mess has been removed quite considerably

The connector has only VCC and GND . but a DIY solution Is easy made and the other pins can be used . Connect your OSD in line and it will record

Finally, the installation done .

Now lets have a look at the Camera functions .
First thing I did notice when unpacking .The TR1 has no buttons.
It has instead one single slider . On or Off Recording
On the back we have the typical dip switch arrangement .
The Boscam TR1 supports 8 ch. 5645 - 5945Mhz.

As said no buttons but one slider , so when you want the recording to start just slide the button to the side and the recording starts immediately .
Another important thing to remember O not disconnect the power when you are recording

Always first stop recording by moving the slider to the OFF position, then disconnect the power(Lipo)
The TR1 does need a second to write to memory so a sudden power loss equals video loss. Be careful.
There are no indications, no blinking LED or otherwise to let you know it actually is working . Not a bit deal because we have a sliding button that is pointing to On or off
To stop the recording simply slide the button to the OFF position.
Recording format : MJPEG , Yes the ugly and somewhat disliked format
Nevertheless , the resolution is 1440x 1080.

The recording has no OSD overlay because i didn't hook it up .
Rest assures it works, I had it on the bench
Just add VID to the plug and insert
It record the osd overlay just fine .
But I was more interested in the actual quality of the recording

The uploaded clip is unchanged ...I uploaded 'as is' and I have to say the youtube rendering is pretty close .
Its not as clear/sharp as a Mobius or GoPro recording
but its definitely not a bad picture .It handled fast changes in scenery very well. I was impressed , it doesn't appear to go too dark at all.
The Sun really is low and I was almost expecting more sun blurr but it held up well .

00050008 RAW REC - BOSCAM TR-1 Test (3 min 3 sec)

So then the one and only real Issue I have is the missing user interface/osd ?
Why cant i adjust the picture ?
There are no settings you can change . No contrast, saturation, brightness ...nothing?
It makes no sense. I cannot even rotate the picture which would really help in placing the unit ...
BOSCAM what are u doing ?
Why oh Why does it have no OSD ? An OSD with software functions to adjust the picture really is a must.
Unfortunately, No OSD .No adjustments to output . No choice in how to place the unit .

The live view is a little disappointing. I compare it to a good 480TVL, Adequate but not amazing.
The DVR record the live view but in 1440x 1080
The live CAM picture itself appears a bit dull and blurry . The White correction is slow ,therefore fast changing environments like dark to light present the camera with some notable performance issues.
Unlike the DVR , which i said before does the fast changes rather good ?
Maybe we see here one of the compromises necessary to have a ALL IN 1 Unit?

All in all a decent enough package . I will use it on my BixlerII mounted on a gimbal. Which is a much more suited use of the Boscam TR1.
So stay tuned , once the weather gets a bit better and we have some ore sunhours I ll make another video .
contact303 is offline Find More Posts by contact303
Last edited by contact303; Feb 11, 2015 at 05:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2015, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by pato13uy
Joined Apr 2015
4 Posts
Problem with recording function

Hi friend, you did make a good review. I have a problem with the recording function. I make a recording of a pair of minutes, and its only save a few seconds (15 aprox), and then the video crashes(Windows media player throw an error "a problem with playing the file")

I follow all the instructions you described to record video, buy i dont have luck.

I repeated the test several time...

Do you have any idea what could be the reason?

Thanks!!
pato13uy is offline Find More Posts by pato13uy