New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2015, 04:58 PM
Find More Posts by Smokey_Llama
Joined Jan 2015
2 Posts
Question
What Radio for a new person?

A little background, picked up a Hubsan X4 and a Dromida Ominus a few months back and fell back in love with the rc aircraft hobby. Before that was a very brief into to rc helicopters about 12 years ago, being very young and immature this obviously led to a balled up collective pitch Blade that my dad surprised me with.

So I have been interested in building my own quad and/or tricopter using maybe the frame kits from Flitetest.com. The motors, esc's, props, and frame itself are easy to understand, where I'm having trouble getting started is the Tx, Rx, and what flight controller I should start with. Here are some requirements:

1. 6-8 Channel radio (Spektrum, Turnigy, FRSky etc.) so I could work my way up to a multirotor with GPS functionality, RTH, flight mode selection. I'd also like to be able to use the radio to fly fixed wing planes and conventional helis. What do you guys and girls use? I'm not willing to break the bank, but $150 - $200 for a good radio that I can use even with the more advanced multis would be great.

2. FC's (KK2, Flip) Initially I'd like just a basic FC that I could add a GPS, FPV, RTH, and waypoint functionality too down the road would be great, any suggestions?

I really do appreciate the help, this stuff has come so far since I last looked into it and it's making my head spin, looking forward to getting out there.

Thank you!

Matt
Smokey_Llama is offline Find More Posts by Smokey_Llama
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2015, 05:51 PM
Find More Posts by reelflyt
reelflyt
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
974 Posts
Hi Matt .

Welcome back to the hobby.
There are lots of choices for transmitters that you will have to look at from how much you want to spend , and what you think what your needs will be in the future .
The list can be narrowed down by eliminating the things you might need .
A 6 channel is fine for now , but if you go for GPS then you will want 8 or more channels . I found this out the hard way.
Is a warranty important , the go to the LHS and put down lots of money for a great radio with coverage in case something is wrong with it .
If not then there are lots of ones to order over the internet .
Since most radios are 2.4 ghz the narrow it down to Spektrum, or Futaba , or other format .
The choices are yours .

Gordon
reelflyt is offline Find More Posts by reelflyt
Old Jan 08, 2015, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by Cyjonz
United States, IA, Armstrong
Joined Jan 2014
496 Posts
I use my Taranis for flying everything. Around $200 for the radio and a 8 channel RX with telemetry is only $33. There is plenty of setup help on the different Taranis threads.http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...nsmitters.html
Cyjonz is offline Find More Posts by Cyjonz
Old Jan 09, 2015, 02:04 AM
Find More Posts by sv1eia
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2014
244 Posts
Hi,
Welcome back, a bit similar story here as yours.

For radio, get a Taranis, all my friends got it, its the best thing that happenned to RC world for quite some time.

Christos
sv1eia is offline Find More Posts by sv1eia
Old Jan 09, 2015, 03:55 AM
Find More Posts by marhar
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,471 Posts
+1 Taranis, it's great!

Try an "Acro Naze" flight controller with a FrSky D4R-II receiver. It's tiny and you'll be able to see battery voltage over the telemetry downlink.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Jan 09, 2015, 06:25 AM
Find More Posts by angel4o
Bulgaria, Sofia-city, Sofia
Joined Oct 2013
260 Posts
+1 Taranis !
angel4o is offline Find More Posts by angel4o
Old Jan 09, 2015, 08:03 AM
Find More Posts by RS2K
Insanity Incarnate
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Apr 2007
1,875 Posts
Once you get past the slightly steeper learning curve of OpenTX, you'll find the Taranis can do everything and is actually pretty easy to use.
RS2K is offline Find More Posts by RS2K
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2015, 02:50 PM
Find More Posts by Easy700
Joined Dec 2014
24 Posts
+1 Taranis
Easy700 is offline Find More Posts by Easy700
Old Jan 09, 2015, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by CA_Doug
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2013
354 Posts
Sorry, I vote against the taranis. Taranis Plus (upgraded version now available)!

I've gine through 4 radios:
Cheap 5 channel blade radio that came with 120sr. Garbage.
DX6i...good, but very limited.
Turnigy 9xr...great options, but build quality and look/feel were not great
Taranis...all the functionality openTX has but with a very serviceable and well made radio.

I've added the vibration module, upgraded sliders, replaced the speaker, and adjusted the gimbals. All very easy and well documented. Aloft is the store to buy from. Wayne will take care of you.
CA_Doug is offline Find More Posts by CA_Doug
Old Jan 09, 2015, 09:20 PM
Find More Posts by RS2K
Insanity Incarnate
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Apr 2007
1,875 Posts
I still have the original Taranis, but I've upgraded the speaker, flashed it with CompanionTX and added a haptic feedback motor.

I guess I'd vote for the Taranis Plus over the Taranis as well.
RS2K is offline Find More Posts by RS2K
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:34 PM
Find More Posts by Smokey_Llama
Joined Jan 2015
2 Posts
Thanks fellas, think the Taranis would be a good candidate, I'll also keep an eye out for a used DX8 if I find one.
Smokey_Llama is offline Find More Posts by Smokey_Llama