Feb 19, 2012, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene
I'm flying my MiG 15 on 4S....My ESC burned out after a couple of flights on 2S...I'm now running a 12 amp ESC and she really scoots on 4S...The stock motor can easily handle 4S with the stock fan rotor...Kevin
Which rotor? three or five blade?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2012, 07:51 PM
I havent been in this thread for a while and have yet to do anything with my little f86, however reading the above few posts about the voltage and bec questions I thought I would toss my 2 cents in. For dropping the standard 5v most esc's put out to the 4.2 alot of the micro servos are limited I toss a IN4001 diode between the esc and rx. And for getting a bit more wiggle room out of the linear bec's they have as mentioned above just parallel a 2nd regulator right on top of the one on the esc. ( make sure its the correct regulator as they have a couple different ones ) and you will turn a .8 bec into roughly a 1.2a and the burst will go from 1.2 to about 1.6-1.8a. I have had no issues at all running 6 of the hk 5320 1.7 gram servos on plush or proton 6a escs with the .8a bec regulator doubled up, and Im confident it could run 8 of them just fine provided there are no glaring linkage issues dragging or binding them.

Hope this helps,
Mendo
Feb 20, 2012, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.hobbyb.com
F15 is coming
ARE YOU SERIOUS??? I just pulled the trigger on the mig-29, and think I'll have to get this when it comes out. Any word on the date this'll be in stock? Amazing!
Feb 20, 2012, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320
Which rotor? three or five blade?
5 blade..
Feb 20, 2012, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gionir
And it shouldn't! If she balances out without the lipo you've got a problem there.
After all you'll be flying WITH the battery so it makes sense that she's unbalanced without..
Yeah I understand that just surprised that it lifts the front wheel. Looking forward to flying her.
Feb 20, 2012, 09:22 PM
The stalling italian
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt
Yeah I understand that just surprised that it lifts the front wheel. Looking forward to flying her.
Right, but if you think that the airframe is well under 100g, and the battery alone is around 35g it kind of makes sense that without the battery the plane is completely out of tune.
If then you are saying that that particular frame is an a$$, well I agree with you
Feb 21, 2012, 01:19 AM
Mike
IndyMatt,
That is perfectly normal. That is how mine is as well.
Feb 21, 2012, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by android78
ARE YOU SERIOUS??? I just pulled the trigger on the mig-29, and think I'll have to get this when it comes out. Any word on the date this'll be in stock? Amazing!
Yes, as you can see from the sales flyer, it says "October 2011". I am sure it will be out very soon. Will let you know asap.
Feb 21, 2012, 12:55 PM
Add Lightness
Quote:
Originally Posted by android78
You'll really like that MiG-29! it's very smooth and stable flying. it can handle some wind, even unstable wind that makes flying my UMX Beast a chore.

Just make sure you add some UP thrust to the nozzles in the back, and max out your elevator throw. I maidened it stock thrust angle but with max elevator throw and there was so much down thrust I could barely keep it in the air with full up elevator. as I decreased the throttle it would climb.
I added in a good mount of up angle to both nozzles and it's PERFECT now at any throttle level from zero to full.

Good Luck!
Feb 21, 2012, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNadMan
You'll really like that MiG-29! it's very smooth and stable flying. it can handle some wind, even unstable wind that makes flying my UMX Beast a chore.

Just make sure you add some UP thrust to the nozzles in the back, and max out your elevator throw. I maidened it stock thrust angle but with max elevator throw and there was so much down thrust I could barely keep it in the air with full up elevator. as I decreased the throttle it would climb.
I added in a good mount of up angle to both nozzles and it's PERFECT now at any throttle level from zero to full.

Good Luck!
Thanks. I've been eyeing it off for a while, but was so impressed by the stability in Brians video, I had to have it. Any chance you could show some pics beside a protector or take some measurements of how much angle you ended up settling on for the engines? Also, what battery and CG is this with?
Now for the waiting game... anyone have some good videos to keep me from going mad?
Feb 21, 2012, 05:10 PM
Add Lightness
I used a sky lipo (hobbypartz.com) 2s 500mah 20c - very close to the front of the tray. I'll take some photos.
I'll also take some photos of the thrust angle mods. I basically cut the glued edge on the bottom so the nozzles could angle up more. they leaves a gap between the fan cover and the nozzle, so I used some clear packaging tape to make a seal (kinda a 1/2 a thrust tube)

no idea on the angle. I just guessed and got lucky.

also my fans were mounted crooked with too much down thrust, especially the right side fan. I removed them and re-glued them in. but I think the nozzles helped more.

But I remember reading and see a video where people said they hand-launched it and it would just go into the ground. and that they needed a lot of up elevator trim. too much down thrust would cause it. cause once I corrected the down thrust, I set my elevators to dead center and it flew straight out of my hand with a gentle toss and only 2/3 throttle.

I could also tell it was too much down thrust because at 1/2 throttle I was holding full up elevator to maintain altitude, 1/3 throttle it would climb (still holding full up elevator) full throttle it would start to dive, cut the throttle and it would high alpha and float up. that's down thrust angle.
Feb 21, 2012, 05:30 PM
Quote:
I used a sky lipo (hobbypartz.com) 2s 500mah 20c - very close to the front of the tray. I'll take some photos.
I'll also take some photos of the thrust angle mods. I basically cut the glued edge on the bottom so the nozzles could angle up more. they leaves a gap between the fan cover and the nozzle, so I used some clear packaging tape to make a seal (kinda a 1/2 a thrust tube)

no idea on the angle. I just guessed and got lucky.

also my fans were mounted crooked with too much down thrust, especially the right side fan. I removed them and re-glued them in. but I think the nozzles helped more.
What you're saying makes sense with such a light plane that has small control surfaces and short fan ducts. Downward thrust could easily have as much effect as the elevators.
Would love to see the mods.

Quote:
But I remember reading and see a video where people said they hand-launched it and it would just go into the ground. and that they needed a lot of up elevator trim. too much down thrust would cause it. cause once I corrected the down thrust, I set my elevators to dead center and it flew straight out of my hand with a gentle toss and only 2/3 throttle.

I could also tell it was too much down thrust because at 1/2 throttle I was holding full up elevator to maintain altitude, 1/3 throttle it would climb (still holding full up elevator) full throttle it would start to dive, cut the throttle and it would high alpha and float up. that's down thrust angle.
The solution to this without modding... fly it upside down!
Feb 22, 2012, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged
angelo - I use the dental casting rubbery stuff called alginate..smells like peppermint. You set up the original canopy in a little square container slightly larger and higher than the canopy. Make a stand-off so it(canopy) sits a little higher off the base. Pour in the Alginate and let it set (takes a minute). I let it sit there for a few more minutes and then peel it out of the container and sit it up side down to let it dry a little more. Then, mix super fine casting powder (plaster of Paris) into the alginate mold and you get a strong copy of your canopy. Use this to vac-form or shrink plastic over.
Nitro - any chance I can buy 2 Mig canopies from you? I could Paypal you the postage plus some extra $ for your effort. Name your price!

Jacques
Feb 22, 2012, 05:39 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
Jacques, no probs - just cover the postage.

Here's the result of taking a mold and casting it.

Last edited by NitroCharged; Feb 22, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Feb 22, 2012, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques.Eloff
Nitro - any chance I can buy 2 Mig canopies from you? I could Paypal you the postage plus some extra $ for your effort. Name your price!

Jacques
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged
Jacques, no probs - just cover the postage.

Here's the result of taking a mold and casting it.

I could use a mig canopy too. Send me a PM if you're willing........

Quick Reply