Old May 20, 2016, 09:03 AM
Find More Posts by Capt. Kelso
Capt. Kelso
United States, FL, Fernandina Beach
Joined Dec 2011
63 Posts
Discussion
Portable Starting/Work Bench

I've always been frustrated trying to work on a plane while running the engine away from the Field. Specifically working at home without a Starting Bench. You know, you finish a build or re-build and want to run the engine and tune everything before going to the Field.

In my case, its a 40+ mile round trip to the Field, a long way to go in order to test something. Recently, I built a couple of Starting Benches for our Club using plans I found on RC Universe,
http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...58/Sq46166.pdf

After studying the plans further I decided to build a Portable Starting Bench to use in my garage by modifying the plans.

Total cost was approximately $50 of which half was for hardware and screws. Its been a great addition.
Capt. Kelso is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Kelso
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2016, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by piperjoe
United States, MI, Interlochen
Joined Dec 2009
2,831 Posts
Very nice idea. One addition you may want to consider: add a screw eye to each side of the aft portion of your stand in the vicinity of the tail; doing so will allow you place an appropriate length of bunge cord over the fuselage and in front of stabilizer to hold the airplane tail down.

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old May 20, 2016, 07:17 PM
Find More Posts by ETpilot
Joined Jun 2014
96 Posts
That is a good looking starting bench. I agree with piperjoe on a tail tiedown. I'm sorts of in the same situation. My club field is 55 miles one way. So I don't get to visit too often. Good news is I have a grass runway at home. So I made a starting/working stand for the workshop. Then I put it on my untility trailer to get it to the runway. Works good BUT, it has things about it I don't like. One is I've built larger planes and this one is a bit small.

So I have been thinking of building something similar to the one you built, with retractable wheels and large enough for any plane I may build. I can then tow it back n forth to the runway then set it on the ground.

Thanks for the pictures.
ETpilot is offline Find More Posts by ETpilot
Old May 21, 2016, 10:52 AM
Find More Posts by aspeed
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
2,342 Posts
I like the cooler in the trailer. SPADs are great too. I have a tie down at the back of my stand too. I like to set up the idle and stuff at home without the wing on. My old test stand almost tipped over, so I thought I had better make something a bit heavier. I only used a .28 when it pulled it over too. I got the pattern for the new one off the internet too, and only changed the height and width because I am kind of tall, and most planes I have are little guys.
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed