Old Apr 28, 2016, 09:22 AM
Find More Posts by LTOB
United States, IL, East Moline
Joined Mar 2008
76 Posts
Discussion
Recommended first 3d balsa plane

Hello, Looking to buy my first 3D balsa plane and looking for recommendations for what will be the best plane. I know this will open a can of worms but just want a honest opinion. I have logged several hours on EPP 3d planes(Griffwerks, WMPF, TechOne) and several hours on a flight simulator. I have the concept of doing basic/intermediate acrobatics down and looking to go the next step. Originally thought a PA Addiction was going to be my purchase but now looking at 3DHS(slick 580 44") and EF(EDGE 540) planes. Would like to stay in a battery size that I already have on the bench if possible 3s 2200 and smaller. Thanks in advance guys. LTOB
LTOB is offline Find More Posts by LTOB
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:41 AM
Find More Posts by Poffertjesporem
Thumbs are overrated.
The Netherlands, NB, Sint-Michielsgestel
Joined Nov 2014
608 Posts
the 3DHS 47" extra uses 2200 3s http://extremeflightrc.com/47-Extra-...Red_p_629.html, from what i have heard it is a great stable all rounder
Poffertjesporem is offline Find More Posts by Poffertjesporem
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:07 AM
Find More Posts by LTOB
Joined Mar 2008
76 Posts
Okay thanks and I will look into that plane. Forgot to add that I am a big fan on the low and slow flight also. LTOB
Old Apr 28, 2016, 01:21 PM
Find More Posts by Poffertjesporem
Thumbs are overrated.
The Netherlands, NB, Sint-Michielsgestel
Joined Nov 2014
608 Posts
Precision aerobatics lean more toward low and slow, i own the addiction x and the AMR and love them. I am looking fore a home for my 2200mha 3S batts, the 3dhs 44" slick and 47" extra are on the top of the list, but i suspect the slick to be the least novice friendly of the 2.
Poffertjesporem is offline Find More Posts by Poffertjesporem
Old Apr 28, 2016, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by Motojunk
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
897 Posts
I wouldn't normally recommend a PA plane but in all reality they can be pretty good 3D trainers because of how light they fly & most of their stuff is designed around 3S 2200 packs. They are really nice for low and slow but they suffer a bit when it comes to high energy stuff and windy conditions when compared to planes in the 3DHS and EF lineup. I would normally recommend something like the 48" EF Edge but the 48" EF and 3DHS birds are better suited for 4S IMO. If it was up to me, I'd say make the investment in a 48" EF or 3DHS Edge and some 4S 2200 packs since you can use those in a bunch of different 48" planes in the future.
Motojunk is offline Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old Apr 28, 2016, 09:43 PM
Find More Posts by LTOB
Joined Mar 2008
76 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. Really love the overall look of the 3DHS slick 580(44") or the EF edge 540T(48") but want to make sure I pick something up that is going to fit me. I am not opposed to going 4s either. LTOB
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by Gregertman
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
2,503 Posts
If you go 4s then nothing is better then the EF 48 edge for a first. (Except maybe the EF 48 laser)I would bet that quite a few of us on the 3D section the EF edge was there first. It was mine ,I learned more from that plane then evrey other plane I have combined.
Gregertman is online now Find More Posts by Gregertman
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:39 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
Joined May 2011
897 Posts
My first balsa 3D plane was the 3DHS 41" Edge. Then I got the 3DHS 48" Edge. Then the 48" EF MXS. After that I finally got a 48" EF Edge and I was simply stunned at how well it flew. I got comfortable with it instantly and it's still one of my favorite planes to fly. It almost makes things seem easy with how stable and well mannered it is. It's definitely got to be one of the best planes you can get for learning 3D IMO. A 48" EF Edge and a good EPP foamy like a Twisted Hobbies Crack Laser would be an excellent combo for progressing your 3D skills in a hurry. The foamy will let you learn without worry, and the Edge will allow you to transition those skills to a real plane.

That new Slick though... I'm sure it's amazing & I wouldn't turn you away from it if you're heading that direction. I had the 51" Slick and it was friggin' awesome. The only thing I'll say is that it flew a lot more loose/slippery compared to the others I'd flown(the others felt more like they flew on rails) so it might be a little more difficult to get the hang of, depending on your perspective of course.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:23 AM
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
20,309 Posts
It would be tough to find a better first 3D plane than the SHP. It's perfect for learning 3D, but later you can go to 4s power and it's a monster. I've been flying the SHP for about eight years and I still have not outgrown it.

I love the Edge EXP too.

Extra SHP__Shine On (19 min 57 sec)
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Apr 29, 2016, 09:32 AM
Find More Posts by markl22
Joined Jul 2012
187 Posts
+1 on the EF 48 edge. For low and slow it will do fine on 3s. This is the plane I was most comfortable with in my transition from 3D foamy to 3D balsa. The EF 48 Yak is a great second choice.
markl22 is offline Find More Posts by markl22
Old Apr 29, 2016, 09:38 AM
Find More Posts by Willie T
PA Enthusiast
United States, FL, Zephyrhills
Joined Jun 2011
347 Posts
For low and slow on 3s2200's you can't beat PA's Addiction X! It is so much fun to fly low and slow but is a hoot in the wind!
Willie T is offline Find More Posts by Willie T
Old Apr 29, 2016, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by lecaidduvol
Joined Mar 2012
154 Posts
I am really surprised to see that a few people call the 3DHS or the EF plane ideal for slow and low...it seems to me that they do not know what can be called slow and low...I prefer by far the Addiction X...this is the only plane (with his larger brother) that flies really slow and is also fun to fly even in winds of BF 4 (and I doubt that many EF/3DHS "fans" do still fly in BF 4)
Jonathan...from the very windy France
lecaidduvol is offline Find More Posts by lecaidduvol
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:24 AM
Find More Posts by LTOB
Joined Mar 2008
76 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the 3DHS Slick? Brian
Old Apr 29, 2016, 04:21 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
Joined May 2011
897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecaidduvol View Post
I am really surprised to see that a few people call the 3DHS or the EF plane ideal for slow and low...it seems to me that they do not know what can be called slow and low...I prefer by far the Addiction X...this is the only plane (with his larger brother) that flies really slow and is also fun to fly even in winds of BF 4 (and I doubt that many EF/3DHS "fans" do still fly in BF 4)
Jonathan...from the very windy France
We know what low and slow is... but we also like large flight envelopes. The Addiction line might be amazing at low and slow, but the 3DHS / EF planes are more capable with a larger overall flight envelope.

Apples and oranges. Fly what you like, but to say we don't know what low and slow is... well that's just silly.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 08:09 PM
Find More Posts by Dan the man
Sydney Kingsford, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
525 Posts
LTOB,

Let me second what Doc said. The 3DHS Extra 47" SHP is a total no brainer for your first 3D plane. It is so forgiving in the harrier it's ridiculous.

It's also an absolute riot!

Danny
Dan the man is offline Find More Posts by Dan the man