https://www.flickr.com/photos/124772115@N02/sets/
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by Brainstorm
Fly a LiPo a day...
Joined Jun 2012
3,656 Posts
Thanks for sharing these pictures, Pat. It's always good to see outreach in schools. Kids are our future, both for model aviation and the world as a whole. Indoor and free flight is a great way to foster their natural curiosity, and for them to learn about aerodynamics and the joy of flight.
Brainstorm is offline Find More Posts by Brainstorm
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:41 AM
Find More Posts by Pat Daily
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,765 Posts
I agree -- I was not aware of the Technology Students Association (TSA), so I was very impressed with these students and happy to learn more about TSA. Sharp kids!
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:28 PM
Fly a LiPo a day...
Joined Jun 2012
3,656 Posts
Makes me wonder whether AMA has a standard FF curriculum that I could use at my kids' school here in West Africa. They're a bit younger (7 and 10). But it's never too early to plant seeds. By the time we move back to DC, FF and indoor micro RC may be all that's left for us to fly.

Maybe I'll join the Maxecuters even while we're still away, so I can start getting the newsletter. Seems like everybody else in the DC area focuses on larger and heavier types of model aviation.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 02:35 PM
Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
851 Posts
Brainstorm
Look up Aerolab on the AMA website. There are lessons on DVD for learning basic aerodynamics through rubber band powered balsa planes, including in classroom round the pole flight. I have a copy, which I also think is available on line.

There is also a recipe for a foam plate glider, which might fit your needs at the 7-10 year old level.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/education/fpg-9.aspx
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
Old Jan 14, 2016, 04:23 PM
Fly a LiPo a day...
Joined Jun 2012
3,656 Posts
Thanks for the pointers, Joe. A search did reveal AMA's AeroLab educational programming. Will have to think about whether to offer help in science class or consider offering a standalone after-school activity. Answer may depend on whether I can source sufficient building materials locally or have to order everything from the US or even slow boat from China.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 06:59 PM
Find More Posts by Pat Daily
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,765 Posts
My understanding is that TSA is an international organization. I know TSA in the US has a duration challenge for indoor free flight planes for middle and high school students. I have been a Maxecuter since 1972--great club--from indoor ff to rc and everything in between. My best friends are Maxecuters I have known and have been with for many years. I make a 200 mile round trip to fly with them about 20 times a year.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 01:49 AM
Fly a LiPo a day...
Joined Jun 2012
3,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Daily View Post
My understanding is that TSA is an international organization. I know TSA in the US has a duration challenge for indoor free flight planes for middle and high school students.
Thanks, Pat. There's a good bit about TSA on Wikipedia. And of course on their own TSA website.

Quote:
I have been a Maxecuter since 1972--great club--from indoor ff to rc and everything in between. My best friends are Maxecuters I have known and have been with for many years. I make a 200 mile round trip to fly with them about 20 times a year.
Sounds like a fun group that keeps things lightweight and lighthearted! Hope I get a chance to attend one of your events when I'm back in town.