Yes Sir, this hobby does move quick.
tuck is offline Find More Posts by tuck
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2016, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by ArsonDave
Ventura County
Joined Jul 2007
734 Posts
Just to confirm a good replacement servo...can anyone recommend a hearty servo with long enough leads? I'm going through old posts in this thread but there always seems to be concern about the leads being long enough. I'm actively looking, but any links for suitable servos would be appreciated.

Dave
ArsonDave is offline Find More Posts by ArsonDave
Old Feb 05, 2016, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by newelectro
Jimmy Rc
United States, FL, Zephyrhills
Joined Nov 2004
63 Posts
I have been running t-pro 9g mg servos on my Stryker for years no problems yet but I am only running 3s 2200 lipo with a turnigy 2836 2350kv outruner, 6x4 apc prop 60 amp esc and it is plenty fast for me. Jimmy
newelectro is offline Find More Posts by newelectro
Old Feb 06, 2016, 10:09 AM
Ventura County
Joined Jul 2007
734 Posts
Thanks Jimmy. That gives me another option, as I've been pointed to Hitecs MG servos as well. I guess I'll just have to see what the LHS's have, so I can work on the plane this weekend. Regards.

Dave
Old Feb 06, 2016, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by newelectro
Jimmy Rc
United States, FL, Zephyrhills
Joined Nov 2004
63 Posts
Your welcome love this plane I have to 3 of them.
newelectro is offline Find More Posts by newelectro
Old Feb 07, 2016, 01:46 PM
Ventura County
Joined Jul 2007
734 Posts
Folks,

I'd like to provide a bit of my re-build update, but I also have a question (or two) at the end. I know the thread is old, and I'm behind the times on this plane, but I thought this is just as good a place to ask as any.

The new receiver is in, new servos are installed, some packing tape has been (somewhat) strategically placed for wear, and the hatch has been reapplied. So, it's getting close.

Basically, it is a stock bird and will be flown as such...stock motor, prop, 3s 2200 battery.

My question(s) revolve around CG, however.

My particular plane is pretty nose heavy, even with the battery as far aft as it will go in the compartment. I expect an old epoxy repair of the nose adds to the problem, but other than tape on the leading edges and on the underside of the wing ahead of the CG I wouldn't think it would be that heavy. But then again, maybe it isn't that bad and that's why I am asking.

When trying to balance the plane on the dimples in the finger holes, the nose drops pretty readily. While I can't measure while trying to balance, I seem to be able to get the plane level with my fingers about 1/8 to1/4" forward of the edge of the dimples.

I've seen many folks reference that this plane flies best while being a bit nose heavy, but is mine seemingly too much? I know I should probably just "man up" and fly the thing, but I just thought I'd ask first. If I try to fly it, should I expect the plane to dip right away upon launch and then be easier to correct as speed increases?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the screw has already been pulled from this replacement nose cone.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Dave
Old Feb 07, 2016, 03:05 PM
Find More Posts by tuck
United States, CA, Citrus Heights
Joined Feb 2009
1,298 Posts
I doubt you will even notice that little forward CG. Even inverted flight with a neutral cg isn't neutral.
Old Feb 07, 2016, 09:58 PM
Ventura County
Joined Jul 2007
734 Posts
Tuck, you're a lone voice here in this old thread, so I'll take your advice. I'll just go ahead and fly this thing. Thanks for your help.

Dave
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:16 PM
Find More Posts by rimripper
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,587 Posts
You can run HS 81 or 82's,great servo and will hold up great if you decide to add more power later on,you can just buy servo extensions to make it to the receiver.
A little nose heavy is fine,just make sure you secure your lipo good so it doesn't slide.

Stryker's are a blast!
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Feb 12, 2016, 06:40 PM
Ventura County
Joined Jul 2007
734 Posts
Tuck and Rimripper,

Thanks for your help. Also thanks to those that PM'd me about some issues. I finally decided to just go out and fly the thing after installing HS82 MG servos.

First flight went well, though due to age, warping or whatever, I ended up needing assistance with someone else adjusting trim as I was fighting the stick of the control surfaces. After a few minutes all was well.

Second flight resulted in a crash. I was in a banking turn and all control was momentarily lost. Just before nose diving into the ground, I was able to get stick control, and the plane pancaked into the ground. I simply had to reinstall one of the vertical stabs which came off in the crash. Not trusting the Rx, I replaced that as well, as the LED on the Rx was blinking showing a signal loss (at least that's my understanding).

Flew again today, and all is (pretty much) well. I still haven't figured out what I need to do when I launch the plane myself...as it relates to how much throttle and how I need to throw the plane. My first launch was OK, by I had issues (minor skids and crashes) with my subsequent launches. I ended up with two final flights where someone else threw the plane for me.

The plane is a blast to fly, and at the end of the day, perhaps this isn't the thread for me ...yet...as I haven't gotten the "need for speed." I pretty much fly this at a lower throttle and just pattern fly it, as well as taking it up to altitude and just letting it glide down for a spell.

Thanks for all of the input. It's a great plane, and I'm still going through the thread for tidbits. I'm up to page 442, so it will be a while before I catch up. Regards.

Dave
Old Feb 12, 2016, 06:56 PM
Find More Posts by tuck
United States, CA, Citrus Heights
Joined Feb 2009
1,298 Posts
Dave,
Im sorry to hear about the crash, but I am glad you fixed and can still fly it. This air frame is pretty sweet, my son has one as his first rolling capable plane. Im not sure if the stryker has another thread, and with that said I think this thread is a good place to ask questions. I personally think that some of the guys including myself have gotten caught up in over powering the stryker. I found that 1500 1600 watts was just plain dumb and quite cumbersome. I have recently put the old habu motor on the stryker (900ish watts) in it bringing weight and power back to within reason. I still like my sons a little better for a relaxing flight (230) watts. As far as hand tossing by oneself, iv found 3/4 throttle up at a 10*20* angle with my right had towards the wind is easiest for me. Others use their left.
I try to get to the throttle first if the stryker is at a high angle of attack, but if nose is starting to go down then elevator is needed, just a suttle amount.

I hope this helps.

Zeb
Last edited by tuck; Feb 13, 2016 at 06:54 PM. Reason: bad geometry
Old Feb 12, 2016, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
2,137 Posts
Dave this is the right thread. Doesn't matter that you're new to the thread or not flying Mach 2 with this with enough carbon in it to ruin radio transmissions for a 1 mile radius.

You enjoy the plane this is the place to talk about it. I'm flying a beat to hell C model Stryker and in the middle of adding LEDs to it. A 2826 2200kv motor isn't all that much oomph in the world of speed but it adds a bit of flavor when you're doing it at night,

Welcome aboard. I don't have much of a clue but I'll welcome another Stryker pilot all day.

Edit: for launches I either throw it with my right hand mostly level as hard as I can and throttle up the moment it is clear of my hand, or I grab the left leading edge in my right hand and do a gentle forward toss sort of backhand as I throttle up with my left hand, making the plane basically having the plane fly right out of my hand. Prefer the second and it works fine in any non ridiculous weight situation.
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Feb 13, 2016, 02:24 PM
Find More Posts by mbelazrag
United States, KS, Lawrence
Joined Aug 2012
3 Posts
I downloaded to template and bought board foam from hobbylobby for $10 enough to make like 5 sets of fins if not more. it is strong as well.
mbelazrag is offline Find More Posts by mbelazrag
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
2,137 Posts
So if I draw a unicorn horn on this and paint on Sauron's eye I could end up with a one eyed one horned flying purple Stryker beater.

Thank you thank you, try the veal.
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:35 AM
Ventura County
Joined Jul 2007
734 Posts
Lights turned out nice. Have you had a chance to fly it at night yet? I don't think I'd be able to get used to it orientation-wise. I've got this mental block about feeling like I'd have to see the entire plane.

Also have another question...

I am missing one of the 4 motor mounts screws. Is it a standard item or a proprietary size that Parkzone did? Should I just be able to walk into the LHS and ask for a motor mount screw?

ETA: Think I found the answer...I might be looking for 3mm screws. Just will have to find the right length.

Dave
Last edited by ArsonDave; Feb 14, 2016 at 12:58 PM. Reason: "Search" is my friend.