New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2016, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by kurtataltos
Joined Dec 2014
296 Posts
Discussion
Daytime Strobe

I realize this is a "night" thread, however, it seems to be the only place that the subject of lighting is covered.

Is there a daytime strobe light, bright enough to be seen at.... 600 meters or so.... that is "cost effective", light in weight and can run off a receiver channel?

Any insights appreciated.

Thank you
kurtataltos is offline Find More Posts by kurtataltos
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2016, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by Altoona
United States, ND, West Fargo
Joined Oct 2015
7 Posts
These strobe lights are very bright. I have one on my Bixler 2. I have them running into my receiver and activate when I activate the flaps. The price is pretty good.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...+light&x=0&y=0
Altoona is offline Find More Posts by Altoona
Old Feb 03, 2016, 07:58 PM
Joined Dec 2014
296 Posts
Any color preference for daytime?
Old Feb 03, 2016, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by DKNguyen
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
719 Posts
http://www.xenonflashtubes.com/12v-nano-strobe.html

Not sure what you mean by run of a receiver channel though. Beware the high voltage and noise concerns from xenon flash tube operation. Much brigher than LEDs though.
DKNguyen is offline Find More Posts by DKNguyen
Old Feb 03, 2016, 10:05 PM
Joined Dec 2014
296 Posts
The nano strobe may possibly be more bright that currently available LED strobes but the nano requires 12v. It appears there have been, off and on, some strobes that will run off of a channel on a receiver (for power). This adds simplicity if it can be done and the strobe is bright enough. The key is likely brightness and color. As noted previously, this is a "night" thread but I would think that certain colors respond to the human eye better during the day. I would guess... at this point that the "best" might be white or green. Don't know. Opinions very welcome.
Old Feb 04, 2016, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by DKNguyen
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
719 Posts
The human eye is responds best to green. However, green is also the dominant spectrum of sunlight (which is probably why the human eye has been evolved to respond best to green) so that may play a factor.

However, sunlight is CRAZY bright though so if your goal is to be visible from long distances, I doubt LED strobes are enough unless you're just after aesthetics.I think even with daylight xenon strobes the goal is to make it look like something reflecting in the sunlight to draw someone's eye to it for further investigation to figure out what it is they are looking at so it doesn't slip their notice, rather than as an outright "I am here and this is what I am" beacon.

I think green is actually a poor choice despite the sensitivity of the human eye. There's so much green coming from the sun that I believe it would be drowned out by all the sun's green (despite the sky appearing as blue...that's just how brains interpret it. It is actually mostly green if you use a spectrograph).

By that logic white seems pretty bad too, but I think white is often used because of the sheer brightness achievable with technologies that produce white light outweigh that problem.

Red might actually be the a good choice due to the contrast despite the reduced sensitivity of the human eye since there's little in the sky that is red. However, you pay for that great contrast with reduced eye sensitivity which makes it difficult to detect at a distance, but when you see it, it is really obvious. Whereas with white light you can see it at long distances but it takes time to figure out what you're looking at.

There is also this 5V module:
http://www.xenonflashtubes.com/12v-5...e-modules.html

I also found this RC targeted 6V xenon strobe module:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ght_Unit_.html

BTW, I believe as far as definitions go, I believe they are as follows:

-A "post" is a single instance of text such as a response or initial post.
-A "thread" is a chain of posts like a conversation such as this one asking about daytime strobes. So this is in fact a daytime thread, not a night flying thread.
-A "forum" would be a collection of threads such as the "Night Flying" section you posted in. After all, the button that leads you to select all the major groupings is labelled "Forums" and not threads.
-And RCGroups is a collection of forums...whatever that is called.
DKNguyen is offline Find More Posts by DKNguyen
Last edited by DKNguyen; Feb 04, 2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2016, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by walter3rd
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
5,261 Posts
Bti industries makes a nice light kit that plugs into your receiver and includes 2 white strobes in the kit. There about 30 dollars. I he them in multiple plane. Work great. Walt
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd