Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by pmccleave
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,207 Posts
Discussion
Hyperion Charger Repair

Guys,

Can anyone tell me where I can send in my Hyperion EOS0615i Duo3 for repair. I am having issues with charging in Port 2. No matter what chemistry of battery I try to charge on Port 2 I get a High Output Voltage Warning. I now I have the proper settings set up so am assuming something fishy is going on in the Charger.

Thanks,

Pat McCleave
Wichita, KS
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:43 AM
Find More Posts by RC Accessory
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2004
2,488 Posts
From What I understand, Hyperion's are not repairable.
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 30, 2013, 07:29 AM
Find More Posts by grimbeaver
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,395 Posts
I've heard the same. There is no way to get repair service, at least not in the USA. I generally suggest against buying them for that reason.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Sep 30, 2013, 07:42 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,207 Posts
That is a real bummer. The chargers are great chargers when they are working properly. I also have a EOS 720i Duo3 that is an outstanding charger.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by rampman
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
9,330 Posts
...and that is the main reason that I use FMA products.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:27 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,207 Posts
Rick,

I quit using FMA equipment a long time ago because of how rude they were when I tried getting service on a new RX I got from them that was POS right out of the box. In my opinion poor service is really no better than no service. Hope you have had better luck than me.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccleave View Post
Rick,

I quit using FMA equipment a long time ago because of how rude they were when I tried getting service on a new RX I got from them that was POS right out of the box. In my opinion poor service is really no better than no service. Hope you have had better luck than me.
That all stopped when the old man left.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 30, 2013, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by rampman
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
9,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccleave View Post
Rick,
...Hope you have had better luck than me.
I did. I am the one responsible for them having a WARNING on their site stating to NOT use 2 FMA chargers in parallel.
They slapped my hand after I said it works with brand X chargers and then fixed it at no charge. Then they did the web site update.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by Raydee
RC Addict
United States, NY, Niagara Falls
Joined Jun 2002
1,786 Posts
This is the reason I am switching back to FMA. I still like the features that the Hyperion and ichargers have over FMA but service is something that lacks with Hyperion. I know progressive will repair the ichargers but I have been watching their thread and it looks like the new ichargers have some issues.
Raydee is offline Find More Posts by Raydee
Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:23 PM
Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Yeah, ever try to get engineer Wee Ghose Yu to fix firmware during one of many holidays?

I got seduced by a pretty face and I'm glad I kept my two pl 8s!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 30, 2013, 08:13 PM
Find More Posts by Ohmic
USA
Joined Jan 2002
5,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raydee View Post
I know progressive will repair the ichargers but I have been watching their thread and it looks like the new ichargers have some issues.
I don't believe they repair them, I thought they just replace them with new units. If anything they swap boards, but I doubt they even do that.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Oct 01, 2013, 05:43 AM
Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
2,325 Posts
Since the Hyperions don't cost a lot new it doesn't make much sense to get them repaired which probably cost half of a new unit.
TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Old Oct 01, 2013, 05:56 AM
Find More Posts by jj604
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,961 Posts
That is correct in practice - but of course not technically.

The chargers are quite repairable since they are fairly agricultural devices built with mainly discrete components, but Hyperion choose to not offer a repair service for their chargers but to instead have a 40% discount replacement policy after warranty expiry.

This is a pure business decision I'm guessing since repairs of any low cost electronic item these days is not profitable. Apple do exactly the same although they have a "replace with refurbished at fixed cost" scheme since they have very much larger volumes and can afford that.

It may be irritating if you have a perfectly good charger that kicks the bucket out of warranty but in fact it is probably economically a sensible decision both for the vendor and customer.

BTW This is not armchair theory - I have had THREE Hyperions replaced over many years under the discount arrangement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Accessory View Post
From What I understand, Hyperion's are not repairable.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jul 16, 2015, 05:14 PM
Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Electric
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Oct 2009
2,314 Posts
My 720i Duo shorted a positive lead from a Deans male connector to the case and it no longer powers up. Why there isn't a fuse holder on it boggles my mind. I love that charger.....but getting it replaced by spending another @$168 is out of the question at this point.
DeadstickDuck is online now Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Old Jul 16, 2015, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by Ohmic
USA
Joined Jan 2002
5,294 Posts
This is the main reason I switched from Hyperion chargers to Revolectrix PowerLab chargers. Revolectrix has a repair center right here in the USA. After using PowerLab chargers almost exclusively for the past five years I've never had one that failed or required servicing, but it's nice to know it can be serviced by their technicians if necessary.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic