Find More Posts by Justwingit
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, TX, Fort Bliss
Joined Apr 2012
6,870 Posts
New Product
Hobbyking 1250mm Cessna L-19 Bird Dog

Greetings All,

Got on the Hobbyking website while sipping my morning coffee to check on the status of my Fieseler Storch and what do my bleary eyes see?!? Another new model from the folks at Hobbyking, and this one's a beauty: a very nice ARF 1250mm Cessna Bird Dog !

Here's the video:

HobbyKing Daily - L - 19 Bird Dog (1 min 37 sec)

And here's the product link:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...50mm_ARF_.html

Now, before everybody gets all out-of-sorts about me posting this fine looking Cessna in the Electric Warbird forum, let's remember it was indeed a Warbird, being designed solely for Military applications, NOT civilian. In fact, it was the first of it's kind, being designed specifically for liaison and artillery spotting missions, in order to replace the venerable but outdated Pipers and Stinsons that were pressed into service ad-hoc.

Here's a snippet from Wikipedia:
The Cessna L-19/O-1 Bird Dog was a liaison and observation aircraft. It was the first all-metal fixed-wing aircraft ordered for and by the United States Army since the U.S. Army Air Forces separated from the Army in 1947, becoming its own branch of service, the U.S. Air Force. The Bird Dog had a lengthy career in the U.S. military, as well as in other countries.

A lengthy career indeed, the Bird Dog would go onto serve until 1974, 24 years worth, quite a lengthy span for an observation plane by anyone's imagination.

First the PNF Storch, and now this beautiful ARF....

I'm really looking forward to this one....What say you ?

Cheers all,
John
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2013, 01:37 PM
Find More Posts by 922 Berg
Norway, Ostfold, Sarpsborg
Joined Dec 2008
10 Posts
A very nice looking model indeed! And you just can't complain about the price.
Curse you Hobbyking, I don't have place for more models!!!

The Bird Dog was in service with the Royal Norwegian Air Force until 1991.
922 Berg is offline Find More Posts by 922 Berg
Old Jul 11, 2013, 03:21 AM
Find More Posts by emp77
Ambitious, but rubbish
Switzerland, BE, Berne
Joined Feb 2012
34 Posts
Unfortunately there's no big response to this topic. I ordered one, and I am looking forward to it. I expect it to be a nice after work evening flyer...
emp77 is offline Find More Posts by emp77
Old Jan 26, 2014, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by SARG5
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emp77 View Post
Unfortunately there's no big response to this topic. I ordered one, and I am looking forward to it. I expect it to be a nice after work evening flyer...
Found you
Hope not late in the game. I am scratch building a Bird Dog now. Winter project. Ordered plans from someplace. Also another on thread is working up a set of plans for a Bird. Hope he gets them done. I am building out of PINK AND BLUE FOAM. Most just for fun of building. I live in North Central Kansas
SARG5.
So far the build looks great. How is your Dog doing?
SARG5
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Jul 27, 2014, 07:16 PM
Find More Posts by davovinch
United States, PA, Meadville
Joined Feb 2011
346 Posts
This model is discontinued
davovinch is offline Find More Posts by davovinch
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:41 AM
Find More Posts by Boofhead
That will simply buff out
Australia, NSW, Kareela
Joined Jul 2001
347 Posts
Still available at the HK international warehouse

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...50mm_ARF_.html
Boofhead is online now Find More Posts by Boofhead
Old Oct 31, 2015, 01:16 AM
Find More Posts by Rampage
DFS#000178
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Aug 2005
6,084 Posts
I pulled the trigger on one of these. I've been looking at it for a while and while shipping was expensive, I figure I'm still getting a nice looking plane that I can't get anywhere else for under $100 shipped so I can live with that. If EFlite's name was on it it'd be $140.00 all day, so hey.

Gonna' keep it ultra cheap. I have 1300Mah 3S packs for it. May recycle the motor and servos from my Archer and throw the cheapest 20-amp ESC I can find in it.

Certainly does look good!
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Nov 16, 2015, 04:41 PM
DFS#000178
Joined Aug 2005
6,084 Posts
I got mine today. Initial inspection (and I do mean initial. As in "home for lunch HEY A BOX" inspection) shows that it's a gorgeous little ARF. Printed covering is very nice. Covering is wrinkle-free and tight as a drum. Says it's made by VMAR on the box, and I've heard good things about VMAR in the past. Wasn't expecting that. I've been after a VMAR Twin Otter in British Airways livery for a while now.

I got the color scheme shown on the site. Some had said they received the USAF grey. I was hoping for the Army white-red and that's what I got!

Will have pictures tonight. Might even start the build if nothing catastrophic or unforeseen happens.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 08:26 PM
DFS#000178
Joined Aug 2005
6,084 Posts
Here we go.

All parts laid out. Everything looks great.

Cowl's a little thin and I'm guessing it's not going to take much abuse. There's some minor damage to the rear end of the fuselage but nothing a bit of CA won't fix and you'll never notice.

Pushrods are very beefy. The ends are even beefier.

Nice battery hatch. Tons of room.

Nice instrument panel, if not exactly "period correct". Still very nice with multiple "layers".

Parts temporarily put together and mocked up. Size compared to an EFlite Cub 450. They're the same scale. The Cessna's wing is a hair longer than the Cub's. Which is correct. 36' for the Cessna, 35'3" for the Cub.

They look great together!
Last edited by Rampage; Nov 16, 2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 01:28 AM
DFS#000178
Joined Aug 2005
6,084 Posts
Made some progress.

I did find that the manual, while well-printed in full color and beautifully photographed, appears to be for a different version--possibly an older version--of the airplane. The firewalls are different and the battery hatch and tray are a newer, better design than what is displayed in the manual, but it was all pretty easy to figure out. Everything fit together well.

Also, the landing gear was redesigned. The original had brass eyelets around the landing gear legs that awkwardly screwed into a ply piece. Now, you push the gear in, place a ply wedge in after the gear and screw it in with two bolts on teh inside. A much better system IMO.

The ARF came with two firewalls. So I joined them together and got the motor mounted.

HK says it requires a 150-watt bell motor, so that's what I gave it.

Check out my super-custom, trick, awesome backing plate for the motor mount.

Firewalls mounted up. There was much tweaking here to get it right but this system does allow for unlimited adjustability of thrust angle.

Cowl fitted, prop on. Wing is also joined.

Three bladed prop likely won't stay, just wanted to fit the prop and everything, but it does look kind of cool..
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:50 PM
Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
6,588 Posts
It would be very easy to make some fairing out of strips of balsa with a groove in it to accept the wire LG and then covered with some white ultracote or even some white electrical tape carefully applied.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Refining the Hanger
Old Nov 20, 2015, 01:13 AM
DFS#000178
Joined Aug 2005
6,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
It would be very easy to make some fairing out of strips of balsa with a groove in it to accept the wire LG and then covered with some white ultracote or even some white electrical tape carefully applied.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I've already got the wood pulled aside.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:23 PM
DFS#000178
Joined Aug 2005
6,084 Posts
Got her all finished up.

I made the fairings, cut them to shape, channeled them and epoxied them to the gear struts. They add a whole lot to the plane for just a couple little pieces of wood.

And the battery tray. It really is very, very large. I had intended to use 1300MAh 3S packs but the plane's a bit tail heavy. So I'm going to use Compact 2200s instead.

Hoping to maiden in the morning.

Build went well. A few things I changed.

1) Control horns are off of a Parkzone Archer. I didn't like the method they used for the unadjustable wood horns that came with the plane.

2) The pushrods are flexy "golden rod"-style pushrods that are channeled through plastic sleeves. These were very, very tight and didn't work well at all. The binding was awful. So I made new pushrods.

3) I used slightly larger wheels. The wheels it came with were skinny and very hard rubber. I didn't like them much.

That's it, really. As I said earlier, the manual, while gorgeously printed, was largely useless because it was for an earlier version of the plane. So I assembled it by common sense and what fit where. Everything went well and very straight-forward and I'm happy with the end result.
Last edited by Rampage; Nov 21, 2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:41 PM
Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
6,588 Posts
Yup, those fairings really help complete the look vs the naked wire.
Nice "assembly" log (it's not really a "build").

Good luck with the maiden. I'm sure she'll fly as expected.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Refining the Hanger
Old Nov 22, 2015, 06:40 PM
DFS#000178
Joined Aug 2005
6,084 Posts
Got her maidened. Switched the 1300 out for a 2200 and she balances right on the spar. With the suggested 150-watt motor 1230kv motor, along with a Parkzone 8.25x5.5 prop courtesy of my well-worn Parkzone Archer, she rolled out in a very scale fashion and jumped right into the air. A few clicks of right aileron and a few clicks of up-elevator and she was cruising along at 3/4 throttle with no trouble at all. Super-stable and very scale-looking in the air. Enough power to climb out with authority but definitely a bit under-powered with the suggested motor. But in a good way. The real plane wasn't exactly a powerhouse and neither is this. It's got enough power for relaxing, long scale flights.

I took her up 3-mistakes high and chipped the power and gave her some up elevator until she stalled. Right wing did drop a little bit but not the nasty tip-stall tendencies I had read about before. Maybe the redesign took that into consideration? Mostly, she just mushed forward and started flying again.

At the 5 minute mark (forgot to set the timer higher) I lined her up and brought her in. She settled in beautifully for a 3-point greaser and, bar one of the fairings I made popping off, it was a perfect ending to a perfect flight.

Guys, this is one hell of a little airplane. If you've been on the fence, go for it. There's a little bit of work needed and as everything in life, it's not perfect, but for $50 and $50 shipping, $100 total, it's a steal. Flies better than the Cub 450 on a lot less power and that says a lot!