Old Mar 09, 2008, 12:36 PM
DO OR DO NOT--THERE IS NO TRY
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Mar 2006
159 Posts
Idea
PVC Pipe For Motor Mount

Hi All,

I don't propose I "invented" this idea but I haven't seen it along the way. I was looking for an easy way to create a motor mount for my new build project, the CalderCraft Schaarhorn. I stumbled on the idea of cutting a 1 1/2 inch (inside diameter) PVC pipe joint and using each half as a motor mount cradle. As photos show, the motor is secured with an auto-type radiator hose type clamp and the whole assembly is aligned and set in place with epoxy. The system is simple, works well, is very stable and comes apart easily.

If I "borrowed" this idea from someone, hey, I offer my apology.

AZCAPTAIN
azcaptain is offline Find More Posts by azcaptain
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2008, 01:13 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,759 Posts
Solutions are where you find them! Handy stuff, PVC pipe and fittings... there's more of it in my models than you might guess!

Epoxy: I never trust the stuff on plastic. Once you think it's set, give the mounts a good tug. If they don't pop loose, fine. If they do- put a bit of CA in the joint and stick it back together!

Or- before epoxying, grind some divots into the back of the PVC in a way that locks the parts into the glue.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Mar 09, 2008, 02:31 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,992 Posts
Arizona: I think that is a brilliant idea! Kudos to you!

I also noticed your PVC pipe tool holders. Another brilliant idea!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 09, 2008, 07:54 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,728 Posts
Nifty idea and nice kit. I have always thought the Schaarnhorn was a nice looking ship. I've thought of using PVC pipe to store lengths of scale lumber,plastic tubing, strips etc. Please, please post pictures as you progress on the Schaarnhorn.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Mar 09, 2008, 11:29 PM
DO OR DO NOT--THERE IS NO TRY
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Mar 2006
159 Posts
Schaarhorn Build Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predreadnut
Nifty idea and nice kit. I have always thought the Schaarnhorn was a nice looking ship. I've thought of using PVC pipe to store lengths of scale lumber,plastic tubing, strips etc. Please, please post pictures as you progress on the Schaarnhorn.
I think I'll try doing a "build thread" on this model. I haven't done it before. This might be a good opportunity.

And, Pat Matthews, thanks for the tips on uising epoxy. I didn't know about it being "chancy" with plastic. I DID check the adhesion. It seems good, maybe because the pipe joint I used was threaded, which helped adhesion.

azcaptain
azcaptain is offline Find More Posts by azcaptain
Old Mar 10, 2008, 08:40 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,729 Posts
I was just going to say that you could also use a straight coupling if you didn't want the threads but maybe the threads are good to have in the epoxy.
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale