HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:46 AM
piscataway , nj
Joined Mar 2006
75 Posts
Help!
Twin EDF 40 ESC help

Have superflea twin EDF. IT says to use a 5 amp esc. Tried a gws 100li and ablue arrow 5 amp unit. Both units smoked in 5 sec. EDF 40 units draw 3.9 amps at 7.2 volts. Should I be useing at least a 10 amp esc.
jet head is offline Find More Posts by jet head
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2006, 05:20 PM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,238 Posts
Well, if ONE edf40 pulls 3.9A, then TWO edf40's would pull 7.8A...definitley need a 10A esc.
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Mar 12, 2006, 05:58 PM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
One EDF-40 = 5A, so two would be...?

jet head,

...for two brushed EDF-40's, you ought to get yourself one of the excellent and very inexpensive GWS controllers as on the page in my link.

http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc...roller/480.htm

One of those will control BOTH fan units - even on 10-cells - or 3S... though at those voltages the motors will fry - not the controllers !

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old Mar 12, 2006, 06:17 PM
piscataway , nj
Joined Mar 2006
75 Posts
Thanks For The Help. I Will Be Counting On More Help When I Try To Convert An Old Combat Models F-16 Slope Glider To Edf. I Am Starting To Find A Fan Unit To Fit With A Homemade Tail Pipe. Jethead
Old Mar 12, 2006, 06:21 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Personal experience: The GWS 100 and 300 escs, both standard and li, burn up under their rating. The good esc they have is the one with the 6 small fets (don't remember model #).
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Old Mar 12, 2006, 06:29 PM
piscataway , nj
Joined Mar 2006
75 Posts
SCRATCHANDBASH , how about a speed controller from another co. I want to keep the weight low with thin wires.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 08:33 PM
Model Designer
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
Thin Wires ?

...the little GWS controller I mentioned works ok for me...

OK - better advice than my last...

Thin wiring is NOT the way to save weight in an electric powered model aeroplane !
Weight is saved by the manufacturer using smaller and lighter ( read "more expensive" ) components in the construction of his products...

In my experience, you usually can get only what you pay for - and quality very rarely has discount stickers...
So buy something from a reputable company - such as Castle Creations, Hacker or Schulze...

With those you will get lightness - AND adequate wire sizes - in the best package...

Keven.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 08:44 PM
Model Designer
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
ICS-480Li

Quote:
scratchandbash warned
Personal experience: The GWS 100 and 300 escs, both standard and li, burn up under their rating.
The GS100 and GS-100Li are rated at 5A/8A - and the ICS300 and ICS300Li are rated at 8A/15A

The one I use is rated is rated by GWS at 15A/25A - and so is very capable of controlling in parallel two motors that would normally be adequately controlled by the little 5A controllers.

You should tell Mr. Lin if his controllers are not satisfying your expectations..

Keven.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:51 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
The GWS 450 is rated at 15 amps and I have pushed to that continuous without failure or cut out. I agree Castle, etc have great stuff. Ripmax seems to be good stuff and affordable too here in the US, available through Hobby People, Global, etc.

Those stock fans on the low volt motor will fry at 8-9 volts pretty quick. You can fly forever with the high volt motors on a 3 cell (11.1 volt) while only drawing 1.5 amps! Only the plane has to be LIGHT! Sure is fun to fly a single fan for 10 minutes (+) on a 340 mah battery! BUT, for the $50-$60.00 to go 12 mm brushless at 5.0 amps each and double the thrust, SWEET!
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Mar 15, 2006, 04:36 AM
Model Designer
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
If you can get Ripmax 'stuff' easily there, the Extra22 is a real gem for any model that is small and has up to a 480BBrace brushed motor.
So good I have three of them...

$50 or $60 is OK for twice the power from a single EDF-40 - by going with a brushless motor and a Phoenix10... but jet head's Superflea has twin EDF's - which doubles the cost of a brushless upgrade, as you will require two controllers...

Keven.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 07:29 PM
piscataway , nj
Joined Mar 2006
75 Posts
I just went out today and seen my local hobby dealer. Since I was about 30 bucks in the hole with esc's. HE threw me a new blue bird pb-15e esc. I just tested it and all is well. It is a little heavy but I rebalanced and tomorrow if the wind is low we will have a good report. WISH ME WELL.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 07:40 PM
Model Designer
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
All the BEST...

Keven.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:01 AM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet head
SCRATCHANDBASH , how about a speed controller from another co. I want to keep the weight low with thin wires.
HOW about starting your own forum Richard nickname Head, where everyone knows that you are the only one their speaking too. Ever notice how forums say "thread starter", not "thread owner".

No offense Keven, but I could care less to tell Mr. Lin about my personal expectations, since I know better, meaning in terms of responsible power rating of power mosfets, and so does he. This is not the touchy-feely thing that you seem to be making of it. It is common knowledge in the power electronics industry that the type of fets used in the 100 and 300 escs cannot be responsibly rated at the contunuous ratings that they are rating them at. Your a good guy, but don't embarrass yourself with labels like excellent or something like that. Don't believe what I stated?: Look it up.
As for the value, I always thought GWS stuff was/is a good value.
Ranter's warn people of things. I educate people on things I know. Difference

(previous comments were only pertaining to GWS 100 and 300 escs, not specific owner's uses)
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Last edited by scratchandbash; Mar 19, 2006 at 04:00 PM.