SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:03 PM
The Helinator. "AL BE FLYING"
Joined Jun 2012
126 Posts
Discussion
Charger Advice

So yes, i did read the Q/A and threads....I found this one actually that was recommended:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7028

Then saw this more expensive, but apparently "safer" one:
http://www.revolectrix.com/index.htm

I primarily want the charger to service my 1s batteries (for now) that I use on my MCX2, future 120SR and a 500 series heli. It may not be much compared to what others fly and use, but I just keep reading about lipo fires and crap blowing up. I want a nice , reasonable and safe alternative to what I do now - using the USB charger and Eflite single slot one.

Any suggestions?
sroc3 is offline Find More Posts by sroc3
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:07 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
The one advice I can give you is to get the charger that offer charging at the highest current you can afford. Some of these charger have fancy product descriptions. Then, when you look at the spec, you see the max current they support is 5 or 6A. I have the thunder AC6 (5A max) and I can tell you that after 6 months in the hobby I wish I had a charger 10 times stronger.

At 5A you can:
- Charge a 2500mah battery at only 2C.
- Charge a 4000mah battery at only ~1C!

For example, Turnigy blue batteries support charging at 2C. and the the Turnigy nano at 10C!

You want a charger that can charge your batteries in 20 mins or less not an hour or more....
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Jun 2012
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
The one advice I can give you is to get the charger that offer charging at the highest current you can afford. Some of these charger have fancy product descriptions. Then, when you look at the spec, you see the max current they support is 5 or 6A. I have the thunder AC6 (5A max) and I can tell you that after 6 months in the hobby I wish I had a charger 10 times stronger.

At 5A you can:
- Charge a 2500mah battery at only 2C.
- Charge a 4000mah battery at only ~1C!

For example, Turnigy blue batteries support charging at 2C. and the the Turnigy nano at 10C!

You want a charger that can charge your batteries in 20 mins or less not an hour or more....
thanks ummm......could you give me a good example of a charger like that?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:48 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
I haven't looked around yet, so i don't have any immediate suggestions.
The second one you posted for example seems to go up to 40A (which is better than the first one you posted which goes up to 6A). People in my field do have 1000W ones which cost around $300 and that would probably go up to 100A...
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:57 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroc3 View Post
thanks ummm......could you give me a good example of a charger like that?
How about this one?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1641847

They are running a 10% promo this weekend. http://www.revolectrix.com/new_appli...t06.14.12.html
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:46 AM
Joined Jun 2012
126 Posts
So i get this - http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...o-PowerLab-6_2

then a power supply

then an adapter for each lipo? or can I get the 4-at-a-time strips? I figure if the whole point of getting a fancy charger like this is to monitor individual batteries too right? or is getting a "charging strip" to charge 4 to 6 batteries at the same time ok?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:07 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,797 Posts
Yeah your better off getting a charger that you won't grow out of,i brought the cellpro 10s from hobbyking which is more than enough for my needs,they now sell a really good charger that you might of seen over on the revolectrix website,but the HK version is the same but cheaper,which is the Turnigy 10XC 10s charger,i'll leave a link so you can check it out if you like.
With a charge rate of 0.1/10A is more than enough for me and the batteries that i use.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e_Charger.html
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:57 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,247 Posts
The Powerlabs are a better match to 1s cells than the Cellpros because of the mininum current specs. The Powerlabs are 10ma and the Cellpros are 100ma. If you were charging a 130ma pack the constant voltage stage would cut off at just under 1c. On the Powerlabs, the CV termination can go down to the standard C/10. Because of this the Powerlabs do a better job of fully charging these small cells.

Charging small cells in parallel will definitely help this. But in the end, there is no replacement for a Powerlab.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Jun 2012
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
The Powerlabs are a better match to 1s cells than the Cellpros because of the mininum current specs. The Powerlabs are 10ma and the Cellpros are 100ma. If you were charging a 130ma pack the constant voltage stage would cut off at just under 1c. On the Powerlabs, the CV termination can go down to the standard C/10. Because of this the Powerlabs do a better job of fully charging these small cells.

Charging small cells in parallel will definitely help this. But in the end, there is no replacement for a Powerlab.
Hmmmm, so it seems the Powerlab 6 may be the way to go ......So, I can charge 4 individual 1s batteries at the same time with this puppy right? Like say - 3.7v 160mah Turnigy 30C packs?

If yes, then what "charging strip(s)" or connectors would you recommend?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:09 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroc3 View Post
Hmmmm, so it seems the Powerlab 6 may be the way to go ......So, I can charge 4 individual 1s batteries at the same time with this puppy right? Like say - 3.7v 160mah Turnigy 30C packs?

If yes, then what "charging strip(s)" or connectors would you recommend?
You can charge the two 1s batteries with the smallest UMX connected with the MPA. That will also charge six of 2s-6s at a time.

For the larger UMX connectors like on the mCPX, I like this one. Its fused and supports both sizes of UMX battery connectors.

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=347

To use that board on the PL6 you will also need a FMA Powerlab balance port pigtail ($3.25) and wire it in parallel with the positive and negative.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Jun 2012
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
You can charge the two 1s batteries with the smallest UMX connected with the MPA. That will also charge six of 2s-6s at a time.

For the larger UMX connectors like on the mCPX, I like this one. Its fused and supports both sizes of UMX battery connectors.

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=347

To use that board on the PL6 you will also need a FMA Powerlab balance port pigtail ($3.25) and wire it in parallel with the positive and negative.
That is Perfect! :-) Thanks Everyone!!!!!!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:22 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
The Power Lab 6 is a great high-end charger that will likely last you many years and do everything you need.

The best way to stay safe with lipos is to educate yourself about them. Check out this site for basic information, guidelines for using lipos and how-to's for parallel charging. Triple check connections and charger settings before starting a charge, charge them away from anything flammable and NEVER leave them charging unattended. Also be sure to read up on the Power Lab's manual, you can find it online here.

The cheapest way to go (assuming you live in the U.S.) would be to buy the PL6 (no combo) from revolectix using that 10% off code (PRFD061412). If the extra price reflected in the current total is the shipping costs then I believe it should come out to $169.71 including shipping after the coupon. If it's higher then you could just buy one from EPBuddy (free paraboard) or ProgressiveRC (free shipping). For the USB interface and UM paraboard try EPBuddy. You could pick up both from there with $2.50 shipping for a total of $30.40 bringing the grand total to $200.11.

As for a cheap power supply for it, check out FeatherMerchant. He sells modified server power supplies. His "24V47A Plug-n-Play Supply" with EC5 connector will plug directly into the PL6 and allow you to charge batteries with over 800W of charging power. Simply plug in the power supplies (power cables sold separately at the bottom of the page) and they start right up. Granted it's not the full 1000W the charger is capable of but it's cheaper than buying one of the regular DC power supplys they sell for it (plus you need one that's 30V+ in order to reach full charging power). You could also try converting a server power supply yourself if you feel up to it (there's plenty of info on doing that here in this section). To be honest if all you're charging are small 1s batteries then this setup is rather overkill. If you have a small cheap dc power supply lying around that's in the 10-32V range (or want to convert an old computer PSU) then you can go ahead and stick an EC5 connector on it and use that for now. Just make sure to enter it's voltage and current specs into the PL6's settings.

Good luck with your new charger.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:01 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,247 Posts
When charging 1s cells, I've been known to power my Powerlab with an old laptop AC adapter, or even a 3s LiPo.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:05 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
755 Posts
Wow, a PL8 is a lot of charger for four 160mah Turnigy 30C packs! An Acucell-6 would do these in parallel just as fast and just as safe.

But if you ever go into bigger packs like 6 cell or 5000mah it will be more powerful. i agree, get the best you can to begin with. Could look at the ichargers too, I have one and they are very good.
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Jun 2012
126 Posts
Thanks for all the advice.....I just ended up getting this for now to keep costs down. Got it for $45. I was thinking......I can only fly my MCX2 for 5 to 6 min max, then I have to wait 5 min in-between flights to cool everything down. 4 fully charged 160mah bats should be fine

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...r-THP103CQACDC