SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 17, 2012, 03:28 AM
Joined Jun 2007
22 Posts
Help!
Engineering student and first arduino based build?

I was looking around and really got interested in UAV's (taking a course in controls at my uni does that) I would like to know which would be a good affordable arduino based quadrotor UAV to build. I have not worked with arduino language but Matlab I am familiar with. After looking around it seems that most people are using the arduino mega 2.0 for $199. Could I buy a cheaper model and wire it myself instead?

This is what I would want my UAV to do

1. I would like to fly the quadrotor under my control
2. Let some sort of self stabilization to take over at my command, perhaps at a flick of a transmitter switch?
3. Able to change and hold altitudes
4. Maybe even follow waypoints, I believe this would need a gps module is that correct?

EDIT:Since quadrotors are generally more expensive I would also be interested in buying a small electric heli and adding an arduino autopilot, what do you guys think? Come to think of it I have a small E-sky Lama V2 that I might be able to use

As for the transmitter I have a multiplex with enough bells and whistles that I think should be fine (royal evo 9), I also have an older airtronics transmitter.

Finally, I'm a bit confused as to how to actually code the thing. Do I download a basic autopilot code and modify it? Or do I write it from scratch? I really need a bit of help on how to get started on this summer project. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
cad2blender is offline Find More Posts by cad2blender
Last edited by cad2blender; May 17, 2012 at 04:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 05:50 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,062 Posts
AMP2 is a good choice.
http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/...rduCopter?tm=6
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 17, 2012, 08:55 AM
Chris Anderson
San Francisco/Bay Area
Joined Mar 2007
939 Posts
----
zlite is offline Find More Posts by zlite
Last edited by zlite; May 17, 2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: accidental reposted the same comment twice
Old May 17, 2012, 08:59 AM
Chris Anderson
San Francisco/Bay Area
Joined Mar 2007
939 Posts
If you just want an RC quad (not a full UAV like APM2/ArduCopter), you might want to get a cheap KK board (just a processor and gyros) and program it. The code is available and it uses the same ATmega328 chip as Arduino, although it's not Arduino compatible so you'll need to program it some other way.

Other than that APM2/ArduCopter is your best bet. Most of that community is over at DIY Drones, so come on by!
zlite is offline Find More Posts by zlite