HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:25 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Cheers, but actually the discharge wouldn't sway it for me.. It's the higher charge rate from a 12v and 24v battery that's pulling me... Plus 30-32v to get maximum output is a silly input voltage in my opinion, At least make it 36V then you could use 3 x 12v leisure batteries if you can't find a suitable power supply
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Last edited by topgearuk; Oct 21, 2011 at 06:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:30 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Cheers, but actually the discharge wouldn't sway it for me.. It's the higher charge rate from a 12v and 24v battery that's pulling me... Plus 30-32v to get maximum output is a silly input voltage in my opinion, At least make it 36V then you could use 3 x 12v leisure batteries if you can't find a suitable power supply
Here's something that might surprise you. When I floor the throttle on my PL8 with 6s packs (40amps output), its only drawing 44 to 46 amps from my 24v supply. The PL6 is capped at 40 amps input, so the difference between the two (on 6s) is not that large.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
120 Posts
Well, he will be buying with a stronger currency so I say go for the best: there is the PL-8, and then there are the rest!
misternatural - angelfood is offline Find More Posts by misternatural - angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:15 PM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Whats with the EC5 input connector? Didn't realize that connector type was very popular? Will be replaced with regular banana's when I get mine.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:29 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,247 Posts
I'm glad that FMA has taken the lead with the dropping of bananas/4mm. Those connectors are notoriously unreliable at the current levels modern chargers are pulling. Sure you can get a few 4mm plugs will take over 30 amps without heating. But batch to batch or vendor to vendor, its hard to get consistent samples. Even though FMA is using the 4mm plugs on the output side, they are special plugs that are slightly longer than the average 4mm male plug.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:50 AM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
447 Posts
Looks like the FMA/REVOLECTRIX Cellpro brand nailed it this time!

Is there a feature comparison between the PL8 and PL6 anywhere?
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:56 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
From what I can tell, the PL6 is limited to 6S, and has a lower max discharge current. That's pretty much it. Most of the PL6 manual seems to be identicle to the PL8 manual.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:18 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,247 Posts
  • Smaller size
  • 50 watt discharge vs 100 watts on the PL8
  • EC5 input connector with shorter input wires, vs long wires with clamp on the PL8
  • Capped at 40 amps input, vs 60 amps for the PL8. Not a huge issue since charging at 6s will only require a maximum of 45 amps input at 24v.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:39 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
120 Posts
I do hope FMA will refine its marketing and make it clear that these "chargers" are far more than that, far easier to use and DON'T NEED honking power supplies to work!

I think the "other brand" does a better job in this respect.
misternatural - angelfood is offline Find More Posts by misternatural - angelfood
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:42 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
[*]Capped at 40 amps input, vs 60 amps for the PL8. Not a huge issue since charging at 6s will only require a maximum of 45 amps input at 24v.
I can live with that, I've just won off ebay a 24v 40A power supply (good price)... Just need the charger to go with it now! Lol
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
120 Posts
I'm really glad you didn't fall into the Chinese trap!

FMA really needs to make it clear that one buys a power supply based on their likely needs, not the capacity of their chargers!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:50 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Yes that makes sense.. The largest battery I've got in my collection is 5000mah 6s Nano tech's which can be charged @ 25A but I use 2 in parallel so 50A would be max charge but I don't mind if from a 24v 40A input I'll probably get 35Amps-ish out... That's still pretty quick charge!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
120 Posts
Sadly, these guys "advertise" like engineers, thinking the rest of us fully understand what they assume!

C'mon FMA, hire an ad firm and light the rocket!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:03 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,625 Posts
Why don't you tell us what you want them to tell us?

I and others may find it helpful.
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
120 Posts
Well, I'm not skilled in the field, but what finally dawned on me as a layman is that they should promote:

1. You CAN PUSH ONE BUTTON to get the charge or discharge going if you want, and don't have to go through a whole series of them, UNLESS you want to;

2. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY AN EXPENSIVE POWER SUPPLY since it can run with what YOU ALREADY HAVE, and if you don't have a power supply, YOU CAN START WITH WHATEVER YOU CAN AFFORD CONSISTENT WITH YOUR PRESENT NEEDS;

3, These things are more than chargers, and are really diagnostic devices with fully functioning computer interfaces; and,

4. Though assembled "off shore," you have U.S. telephone support from guys who know what they are talking about AND YOU CAN GET REPAIRS, not just discounted replacements.

Now, if that doesn't convince someone to not buy Chinese, I don't know what will-PUT ALL THIS IN ADVERTISING SPEAK, FMA!

You might ask, "How do you know all this?"

Well, I bought a boatload of Chinese you know what believing you need a honking big power supply for top-end FMA products, etc.

My bad.