HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:25 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Joe View Post
Just cut off the shaft aft of the standard adapter with a Dremel type tool and cutoff disk. Purchase the appropriate adapter size for your shaft and your good to go. I've found different size shafts among SkyS and Bixlers, so measure yours to be sure. The standard shaft is much longer then needed and will still accept a collet style adapter after it is cut.
I think that is the best idea now to remove the stock adapter for most newer units. Mine came off real easy just prying it but it seems the newer one are a bit tougher from all the post about them.
Perhaps a note on page one about snipping them off with a Dremel cut off wheel. As Ole 'Fart' Joe says, the shaft is rather long.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:50 PM
Joined Oct 2007
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
I think that is the best idea now to remove the stock adapter for most newer units. Mine came off real easy just prying it but it seems the newer one are a bit tougher from all the post about them.
Perhaps a note on page one about snipping them off with a Dremel cut off wheel. As Ole 'Fart' Joe says, the shaft is rather long.
I recently ordered a SkyS from BH for a friends young son. I received a Ver. 2 with the BL motor upgrade which had a 2.3mm collet style adapter. The others I've seen are all with the pressed on adapter. Maybe the words getting to the factory that the pressed on piece of crap was a bad choice on their part.
Ole Joe is offline Find More Posts by Ole Joe
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:54 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Just loaded a 16ft truck with about 1/4 of my houses contents for a haul to Florida. Either my brother-in-law will drive it down or I will come early Saturday am. Taking the SkyS, Slow Stick, 1 EZ*, a Super Cub and Stryker on this first real load. If he drives the wife and I will fly down Saturday and stay a couple weeks. If I drive then I will need to stop off a few places on the way....Like Richlands NC for a lay over at StarHumpers house. Figured I get a steak dinner and all the beer I can handle. Hope he dosen't have new carpet since I'm bring the dogs too and LuLu has accidents every now and then.... I figure one or two nights and then it's off to Savannah Ga to hang with Ted a bit. Probably have a good ole southern Bar-B-Que and check out his still. I may spend up to a week there but it depends on how well his wife cooks and whether he has indoor plumbing or not. We'll see. Hopefully I can bum some gas money off him then it's off to SW Fl. Lot to do with the new house....ah, busy couple of weeks coming.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:37 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Lot to do with the new house....ah, busy couple of weeks coming.
I was never clear. Is this a permanent move or just going there for the winter?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:15 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
AJ
Sounds like a certified, card-carryin' snowdodger t' me.
(It'd be one-way if they'd let 'im, but they passed certain ordinances down there after the last time.)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:41 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,684 Posts
Solo'd today....WOO HOOOOO!! I'll be gettin' my certificate by next meeting!

Got 3 flights on the Bix: my solo, then got Sensei Mike to put 'er thru an aerobatic show (including a couple half-butted knife edges in the stiff breeze aloft) to show off for the crowd & newbs about everything it's capable of. Then got another short solo in before the settin' sun got too dim & the 'skeeters took over for the night. A buddy (Curtis) brought his Delta Howler out of retirement & showed everybody what HIGH-speed aerobatics looked like....sick sick SICK speed & vertical corkscrews slam out of sight! BTW Curt broke out his radar while Mike was stuntin' the Bix & on a single hi-speed flyby recorded either 43 or 46 mph (can't remember which right now)....not too shabby on a stock 5x3 & a half-dead LiPo. I'll have to check the video, of which I shot tons today & maybe will have processed by time Gino gets back home. Film at 11 (which in this case might mean November!)

We had 3 other new members come out today with new planes, plus another who hasn't put his hi-wing trainer together yet, so, good to see the club is growing but club instructors are gonna have their hands full for awhile! Oh, by-the-by? Mike's aerobatics show had the crowd behind us a-buzzin' about the Bix, & afterwards at least 2 (that I heard) said they want a Bix. One guy with a Piper kit even sold it to get the money started.....how'zzat? <VB>

(Uhhhh....no mention of any SkieSerfeurs.....sorry.)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:29 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Prop/Motor data

Hey guys, just finished some bench testing on the RC Timer BC 2212/6-2200 motor I recently installed on my SkyS V2 with various props:

All testing was performed using Turnigy 2200 mAh 3S 25C with 35C burst battery fully charged and GT Power 130A Wattmeter (same as Turnigy Wattmeter).

Stock 5x3 23.31Ap/11.85Vm/276.2Wp
MAS 6x4 Nitro 29.96Ap/11.83Vm/355.6Wp
TGS 6x4 E 32.48Ap/11.67Vm/380.3Wp
APC 6x4 EP 33.15Ap/11.75Vm/391.1Wp
MAS 6x4x3 EP 38.06Ap/11.63Vm/443.0Wp

What a difference a prop makes. I use the TGS so to be on the safe side I have to upgrade my esc from 30A to 40A.
I aslo have to find out if this motor can handle 40A so as to use the 3 bladed MAS screw with confidence, but if it can what a jet engine that would make

As a matter of interest I made measurements for the TGS prop put on back to front just to see the difference, and it is significant.

TGS 6x4 E (back to front) 30.67Ap/11.11Vm/341.0Wp

I will now be running the same tests with the 2200 inrunner and the stock motor which many are using and will post when ready. It will be nice to compare all 3 motors.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Last edited by ozair; Oct 20, 2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:09 AM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
AJ
It will permanent by late spring/ early summer. I need to tie up some loose ends around here and sell this house.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:56 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,585 Posts
Quote:
It will permanent by late spring/ early summer. I need to tie up some loose ends around here and sell this house.
Selling a house could be a chore in this market! Good luck, hope it all works out for ya.
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:55 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
Hey guys, just finished some bench testing on the RC Timer BC 2212/6-2200 motor I recently installed on my SkyS V2 with various props:

All testing was performed using Turnigy 2200 mAh 3S 20C battery fully charged and GT Power 130A Wattmeter (same as Turnigy Wattmeter).

What a difference a prop makes. I use the TGS so to be on the safe side I have to upgrade my esc from 30A to 40A.
I aslo have to find out if this motor can handle 40A so as to use the 3 bladed MAS screw with confidence, but if it can what a jet engine that would make

As a matter of interest I made measurements for the TGS prop put on back to front just to see the difference, and it is significant.

I will now be running the same tests with the 2200 inrunner and the stock motor which many are using and will post when ready. It will be nice to compare all 3 motors.
Great work! Sorry I haven't gotten to my numbers yet. I've been quite busy but I'll work to get it done tonight and post some pictures of my ET data.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:59 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,585 Posts
Quote:

All testing was performed using Turnigy 2200 mAh 3S 20C battery fully charged and GT Power 130A Wattmeter (same as Turnigy Wattmeter).

While you are in testing mode.... how about noise levels, thrust, and airspeed of the different props too!
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:30 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
While you are in testing mode.... how about noise levels, thrust, and airspeed of the different props too!
I wish I had a dBA meter, a thrust meter and an anemometer to get this info. I agree with you it would be very interesting to know all 3.

What I can tell you now is that the 3 bladed prop was the loudest by far. I am currently working on a set up to measure thrust but it will not be ready for another month at the earliest with X-mas just around the corner.

Anemometers are a little pricey, do you know where I can pick up a reasonably priced unit?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:32 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
Great work! Sorry I haven't gotten to my numbers yet. I've been quite busy but I'll work to get it done tonight and post some pictures of my ET data.
Thanks, I am looking forward to your data when ready.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:07 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,088 Posts
Quote:
I wish I had a dBA meter, a thrust meter and an anemometer to get this info. I agree with you it would be very interesting to know all 3.

What I can tell you now is that the 3 bladed prop was the loudest by far. I am currently working on a set up to measure thrust but it will not be ready for another month at the earliest with X-mas just around the corner.

Anemometers are a little pricey, do you know where I can pick up a reasonably priced unit?
If you have an iWhatever, there are a few apps out there that measure dBA that aren't much at all.
You can kind of get an idea of what is loud and not though. My APC prop was really quiet compared to the $1 e-Bay prop (looks like the TGS at least). I may have had a mounting issue but I don't think the end result would be any different but I will try again tonight just to see if there is a difference in sound.
I still like my APC 6x4p prop. The p is for pusher. I had to change two motor leads for it.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:15 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:

An anemometer and a Db meter on a test bench are pretty useless items in our sport. Thrust information is always nice to have. Also, an RPM meter is somewhat useful. However, you could go through your entire life without one.I am pretty sure he meant that an airspeed indicator for a flying airplane would be nice. That would make sense. I use an anemometer only to measure the wind speed at the site I am flying at.
IMO, the only thing that is necessary is a Watt Meter. But, even then, if you never change the power system, you really don't need it either. Keep in mind that this is still just slightly more than a toy.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Oct 17, 2011 at 10:21 AM.