HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2007, 06:07 PM
Joined Apr 2007
4 Posts
Help!
New some advice, new to RC Planes

I want to get into RC Planes, but I want to start pretty darn small, and work my way up over the years, but I dont know which to start with, im just looking for a somewhat low end plane, Ive found these three, but I dont know which to use, or if none are worth it.

http://www.hobbytron.com/RCPlaneAirb...TFAA69731.html

http://www.hobbytron.com/Electric-Pl...Air-Force.html

http://www.hobbytron.com/SU-30-RC-El...Jet-Plane.html

I was looking at those three, which would you reccomend for a brand new starter? If none of them, which plane WOULD you recommend?
brizoken is offline Find More Posts by brizoken
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2007, 06:59 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
I don't know any of those three, but the first one would definitely be the one to get, because it'd be easier to fly than any low-winged plane such as jet. Cessnas make for good trainers.

Now, that said...

I'm not sure if I'd go with any of those three in the first place. I'd go with something that has three channels. It's a good way to start -- it's not simple enough that you control elevator with the motor, therefore limiting your flight experience and learning curve, and not too complicated that you need to start with ailerons.

A lot of people will recommend the HobbyZone Super Cub, and I'll be the first one to do so. It's three channels, comes just about ready to fly (screw a couple of parts, charge the batteries, and you're good to go), and it'll give you plenty of fun times. And it's sturdy! Oh, and it's priced just right ($159, and you can get them on eBay with plenty of extras, too, for that price, including free shipping).

That's just my suggestion, though. Check out some of the Super Cub threads and see what people tell you. I think you'd enjoy it.

Oh, and welcome!
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:22 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brizoken
I dont know which to start with
Always disappointing to read this because of the abundance of information contributed in the "Sticky" threads . . at least from those who have taken the initiative to read them!

Start with a simulator to learn hand-eye coordination. The EasyStar ready-to-fly is one of the most popular beginner trainers . . review.
aeropal is offline Find More Posts by aeropal
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:27 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Great point about the simulator!
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:18 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Feb 2007
2,024 Posts
for your fist plane you want it to be easy to get replacement parts because you will crash.

I have a simulator, G3.5, best money I have ever spent.
flyin C is offline Find More Posts by flyin C
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:37 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
The G3.5 is awesome, no doubt about it!

But remember, there are some free ones out there, too.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Hi Brizoken, and welcome to RC Groups!

First off, it's refreshing to see someone who actually wants to start at the correct rung on the ladder like you say you want to... Of the three planes you listed, I wouldn't recommend any of them, as the last two are about as far from a beginner plane as you can get, and the first one is a 2 channel. Two channel planes fly using rudder to make the plane go left and right, and throttle, which makes the plane go up and down. In theory, this works flawlessly, and there are many people who have started out with 2 channel planes and had enough success with them to graduate to 3 channel planes. Personally though, I don't recommend them.

IF you have a lot of room to fly, and I mean a LOT, then the MultiPlex Easy Star makes a real nice plane. But if the thought of a high flying, and relatively fast plane are a little intimidating to you, then the Easy Star may not be a good choice. A standard sized school athletic field consisting of a soccer field and maybe a baseball diamond or two is not, in my opinion, conducive to learning how to fly the Easy Star; especially when the Easy Star is your very first plane. Couple that with the fact that the Easy Star can comfortably fly along at 30-35 mph, and it's pretty easy to calculate that a few seconds of flight in which you're trying to remember which stick does what, can lead to the Easy Star disappearing out of sight.

Now IF you have the benefit of having a pro teach you the ropes, and he also has a buddy box... then you can pretty much learn to fly on any beginner plane out there, even 4 channel ones. But most of us learn the old fashioned way... by simply throwing the plane up in the air and learning as we go.

My recommendation would be something like the HobbyZone Super Cub, which seems to have a rather large following among beginners, has a large and ready supply of spare parts, and is capable of taking some abuse.

Anyway, that's just one opinion of many... so weigh it against what others have to say...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:42 AM
Joined Apr 2007
4 Posts
Thanks guys, I think I will try the Super Cub..

And as for the field I plan on practicing in, it is just a school field, soccer / baseball, so its not that big compared to what people need.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:47 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Good choice!

Do check eBay, you'll likely find deals with extra props and batteries and free shipping for the same price that you'd find it at the hobby shop... brand new, of course.

I fly my Super Cub on fields the size of soccer fields or football fields, and it's big enough. It's not an extremely fast plane in the first place, so it's a great first plane.

And, just like Chuck said, most of us just learn by trial and error. So you'll do just fine!

Fire away if you have any questions!
Old Apr 23, 2007, 01:07 AM
Watch out for that TREE!
Houston, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
1,458 Posts
brizoken,

Welcome to RCG. Please do yourself a favor and find a flying field that is of sufficient size that you will not need to turn the plane for a good bit after takeoff. Once in the air, you want to gain altitude, a lot of altitude. 3 mistakes high (100 + feet), before you are trying to turn. After you get the hang of it, flying in a smaller field will be no big deal, but for a rookie, teaching himself, you want a LOT of room.

John
GD5015 is offline Find More Posts by GD5015
Old Apr 23, 2007, 01:16 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Yeah, John said it best. Lots of room.

You can never have enough room -- really!
Old Apr 23, 2007, 01:22 AM
Joined Apr 2007
4 Posts
I dont really know where I can find a lot of room though, I know a park, and a school..

And I live in a desert, so ive got nothing but desert here, but Im afraid Ill loose it int he desert..
Old Apr 23, 2007, 01:47 AM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Quote:
I dont really know where I can find a lot of room though, I know a park, and a school..

And I live in a desert, so ive got nothing but desert here, but Im afraid Ill loose it int he desert..
Don't be afraid. Chances are, sooner or later your first plane is going to get destroyed beyond all recognition, lol. But hey... that happens to us all to some extent or another. It's all part of the hobby. You have to except that you're going to crash at some point, WE ALL DO, and that you'll be doing repairs on your plane regularly. Some not so bad... and other times, it seems almost impossible to fix. To most here, it's all part of the hobby's enjoyment. Plus it makes you a better model builder too!

I'd definately go with the HZ SuperCub. You'll be VERY happy with it!

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan
Old Apr 23, 2007, 01:57 AM
Joined Apr 2007
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedustypagan
Don't be afraid. Chances are, sooner or later your first plane is going to get destroyed beyond all recognition, lol. But hey... that happens to us all to some extent or another. It's all part of the hobby. You have to except that you're going to crash at some point, WE ALL DO, and that you'll be doing repairs on your plane regularly. Some not so bad... and other times, it seems almost impossible to fix. To most here, it's all part of the hobby's enjoyment. Plus it makes you a better model builder too!

I'd definately go with the HZ SuperCub. You'll be VERY happy with it!

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
Its not about breaking it, its about actually loosing it...
Old Apr 23, 2007, 02:16 AM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Its not about breaking it, its about actually loosing it...
Lol... same deal. There are countless threads about people telling about how they lost there plane. It happens. Sometimes it's the pilots fault, and sometimes the electronics just decide to go crazy (AKA "a glitch").. but there's always a chance it could happen to "you". Heck.. I lost my first plane.. (a Firebird Commander 2).. (not that it's a great plane to begin with, being a 2 channel).. due to some sneaky wind gusts that came out of nowhere while I was flying around in my front yard. It's still in my neighbors tree to this very day, lol. But unfortunately it's beyond repair due to the elements taking thier toll on it since last fall. All that's left.. is the fuse with the battery pack dangling out of the cockpit, lol. None the less, I didn't let it bring me down. Instead, I went and got a Slowstick, Supercub and Magpie AP, and really paid attention to all the experienced flyers in the forums. So far, I haven't had any more problems, and the worse thing to happen.. (while I was flying them).. was a rough landing or two).. (usually very minor or no damage).

Anyways..... don't worry about losing your plane. If it's going to happen, then it's going to happen. But never stop yourself from going flying just because of fear of losing "your investment". You won't be the first... nor the last, to have gone through it.

Like I said... it's all part of the hobby. There's good days and bad days.

Example of a bad day: I went flying saturday morning.. (04/22/07).. with my Magpie AP and my E-Starter. The Magpie flew great.. and I used up two battery packs.. (about an hours flying time).. without a single issue. But then I took out the E-Starter.. (well, I had my friend try it out).. and started to lift off the ground, and at around 20 feet up.. he "dumb thumbed" it right into the ground. Luckily there was only minor damage.. ( a broken motor mount). A little CA glue and some cloth/fiberglass tape, and she's even stronger than before the crash, without adding any significant weight to the plane.

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan