SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 05, 2014, 08:12 PM
Slopeosapien
Joined Jun 2006
802 Posts
Well I put 3 packs thru it this morning... If it quacks, it's probably a...
So not surprisingly it flies just like a Dart, it loops (inside and out), rolls (well kinda, it is R/E) snaps, stall turns and hammerheads, inverted flat spins, t &g's, hovering ... Pretty much anything you'd want a simple silly plane to do, it does. Let my FB Darren beat on it for a while... I'm pretty sure he went home and started one, so I guess he likes it too!
What can I say that hasn't already been said?
Get started building one. You won't regret it!

Ps... Hey Frank! Wasn't that Hamilton out in front? Lol!
jonesymj is online now Find More Posts by jonesymj
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2014, 07:26 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
When building the Smart Dart does it matterif the tailplane is level with the wing or does it have to be below as in the plan.

Merry Xmas to All.
corflute is offline Find More Posts by corflute
Old Dec 20, 2014, 08:16 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,384 Posts
As designed it works. Change it and see what happens, nothing in foam is chiseled in stone.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Yesterday, 12:08 AM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Thanks for the prompt reply Goldguy.I shall build it as the plan shows.
corflute is offline Find More Posts by corflute
Old Yesterday, 02:54 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,130 Posts
Because of the vertical taper of the top and bottom of the fuselage, this gives the difference in angle between wing and tail plane ~2 degrees.

Versus the wing I have 6 degrees motor down thrust and 2(?) to the right.

If you give it a reasonably long nose the battery can be fitted under the CoG and it won't matter of you change battery sizes between flights.
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,384 Posts
Right, it's all about the decalage, or the angles of the motor, wing and hor. stabablizer compared to each other. There's a reason for it and it's designed in. Fiddle with it and there's no guarantee you'll have a good flying model.

Still, if you feel the need to change things, build as designed first. Then you'll see the effects of any alterations and know if they are good or bad.

Fiddling is fun, but be prepared for the results.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,130 Posts
A modification I've done to help "hard landings" is a short ply panel each side with the firewall across at the front of them. This load-spreads the motor forces. A small horizontal panel on the bottom glued to the side panels is the U/C mounting plate, if you fit one.

Also (why use CF?) run bamboo kebab sticks along the length of the fuselage. You can split them so only half thick but in tension they are strong, light and cheap. I've had the glue the aft end of the fuselage on most of mine theat haven't been reinforced. OK, bad flying.....

Rather than a stick across the wings to stop them folding up I put in a Western Red Cedar wing spar, same thickness as the foam.

The longer nose allows mounting of the servos near the aft end of the wing giving short throws. I cut a slot each side and poke them in from inside and then jam and glue bits of foam between them. Easy to break off the foam to remove them later. No need for screws or wooden mounting plates.

https://sites.google.com/site/kayakamf/rcplanes/dart-xs

Note History and Parts List pages. These are about 22" versions except the blue and yellow one with extended wing span.
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Today, 11:22 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,544 Posts
Eeeeh...I've "fiddled" with the trapezoidal wing plan plenty and come out ahead nearly every time. The wing shape covers a multitude of sins. Having the main wing and horizontal stabilizer parallel isn't so bad; a bunch of my planes came out this way and still fly fine. The Longhorn in particular is my absolute favorite airplane and it's parallel.

Foam is cheap. Knowledge is priceless.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Today, 11:54 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,202 Posts
Seeing Jones-y’s posting from the tenth month ... made me think about all the Dart and Dart variations we made (and there were many ) What we found is , when the standard Dart decalage was preserved , no matter what shape you made it , it still flew like a Dart (which was Wonderful !!!) ... even the radical Round Dart and Martian Dart ... and my all time Favorite (JMHO) being the Tandem Dart which was so really Easy to fly.. All with the exact Dart fuselage proportions for proper wing and tail incidence ... Those that were built with non Dart parameters flew ..."different”...

Light wing loading Darts flew slow and Floaty’ .... Heavier , overpowered Darts were like Rockets ... Both lots of Fun !!! All very predictable ... Reason why the Dart’s been around so long ...
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw