HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
3,046 Posts
Let's... let's not tempt me ok?

Having my father to film me, it's not justified... At least until I start going to fly on my own...

SU-(35-6)

SU-29S Training Sessions HD (11 min 54 sec)
SU-4ever is online now Find More Posts by SU-4ever
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,674 Posts
So you would have to mount the tag thing for the tracker on your plane? Wonder how much the tracker weighs and if it would interfere with tx/rx signal?
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
So you would have to mount the tag thing for the tracker on your plane? Wonder how much the tracker weighs and if it would interfere with tx/rx signal?
The tag is 60g and is like a big servo 50x47x23mm

The zoom feature is what makes the difference there. EDFs move so fast like the previous discussion about trackers, they lag behind the target. This one zooms out if the pan speed exceeds the base servo speed. Good way to keep it in LOS.

But the limit the pan angles though. Most trackers will follow the full 360. Cool. Now if I would stop buying models may be I'd have some coin for one of these.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
The tag is 60g and is like a big servo 50x47x23mm

The zoom feature is what makes the difference there. EDFs move so fast like the previous discussion about trackers, they lag behind the target. This one zooms out if the pan speed exceeds the base servo speed. Good way to keep it in LOS.

But the limit the pan angles though. Most trackers will follow the full 360. Cool. Now if I would stop buying models may be I'd have some coin for one of these.
Thanks for the info Max... Yes, I meant how much the tag weighed not the tracker. Do you think it would cause issues with the tx/rx signal?
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
3,046 Posts
Depends on the frequency and power of the tag. Hopefully not.
In any case, I think you would just need to adapt the flight style to the window limits and speeds of the device. Not a big deal.
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
Thanks for the info Max... Yes, I meant how much the tag weighed not the tracker. Do you think it would cause issues with the tx/rx signal?
The site doesn't specify but a few have already been trying it here on RCG (do search on soloshot) with their models and it suffers the same issue... the EDF sample was wide field view making the subject a dot and it still dropped out of frame a few times.
Even a powered glider type that isn't going very fast dropped out of frame on medium zoom.....
the sample video has it tracking a quad copter so some are trying it. It is FCC approved so it like falls into common digital encryption standards. Since its good to 2000 ft it probably doing the same outputs as our radios because the FCC standards.... all a guess though. You can contact them on their website www.soloshot.com and ask directly but some are already playing with it and sample vids have been posted here on RCG.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,674 Posts
Thanks...I'll check out the thread.
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,990 Posts
That's awesome! The tag looks a little big. I know my TRex 600 can handle it, but not sure about something like our Flankers. I couldn't find any weight for the tag.
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log v4.0 Progress...
Old Today, 05:35 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
Depends on the frequency and power of the tag. Hopefully not.
In any case, I think you would just need to adapt the flight style to the window limits and speeds of the device. Not a big deal.
It wouldn't keep up with your flying style if the posted samples are any indication.
But it could get a lot of nice angles to edit in.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 05:40 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chDad View Post
That's awesome! The tag looks a little big. I know my TRex 600 can handle it, but not sure about something like our Flankers. I couldn't find any weight for the tag.
Damon just asked that 3 posts before... 60g or about 2.1 oz. The size of a dual large servo. So easily carried if it could keep up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 07:03 AM
Germany
Joined Jan 2011
154 Posts
Whoooohoooo!!! Temptation!!
I would have purchased it right away, its what I'm looking for!
It supports the camera I'm using, it has implemented many of the intelligent features that I tried to implement into my tracker (which is a modified antenna tracker from an FPV system, but it doesnt operate satisfyingly, too much jitter), the tag seems to be not too big for the purpose.

Unfortunately the website is too much dedicated to WOW and blabla, but misses technical information like weights, sizes and, most important, operating frequency!

I contacted them to provide me those details. Let's see what the reply tells....

I'm afraid its operation frequency is at 2.4GHz which would be a killer for our application. There is however a chance it operates at 5.8GHz. This would still keep it useless for FPV with video downlink at 5.8 but, at least, it would be useful for those not needing a video downlink on 5.8.

At least, size and weight was provided by Max already - thx!!

Let's see...

Cheers,
o.d.
okke dillen is offline Find More Posts by okke dillen
Last edited by okke dillen; Today at 07:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Today, 01:05 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
3,190 Posts
In the vid they showed it following a quad copter, so its been used with RC I'm tempted also, just see if it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okke dillen View Post
Whoooohoooo!!! Temptation!!
I would have purchased it right away, its what I'm looking for!
It supports the camera I'm using, it has implemented many of the intelligent features that I tried to implement into my tracker (which is a modified antenna tracker from an FPV system, but it doesnt operate satisfyingly, too much jitter), the tag seems to be not too big for the purpose.

Unfortunately the website is too much dedicated to WOW and blabla, but misses technical information like weights, sizes and, most important, operating frequency!

I contacted them to provide me those details. Let's see what the reply tells....

I'm afraid its operation frequency is at 2.4GHz which would be a killer for our application. There is however a chance it operates at 5.8GHz. This would still keep it useless for FPV with video downlink at 5.8 but, at least, it would be useful for those not needing a video downlink on 5.8.

At least, size and weight was provided by Max already - thx!!

Let's see...

Cheers,
o.d.
IntheTubeDeep is online now Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
Old Today, 03:23 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,702 Posts
There is a thread for the Soloshot2. Here is a post link with a recent video of a FW YAK 130 EDF. Clearly if it's having difficulty keeping it in frame far away and that the auto focus still can't make out the subject from back ground clouds, its just not quit there yet. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=16

If the pilot brought the model in for a much closer pass, I don't think it would be able to keep up with even a relatively slow pass...... so for camera shots not fantastic throughout. As a tracker it's great but the frequency and intended use remains in question.

As for crossed radio frequencies... This only really becomes an issue with FPV video quality degradation with multiple transmitters screaming on the same frequencies at a distance. Since the tag isn't trying to send back at high watts video data, the degrees of interference gets back to like having multiple 2.4 models sharing the same sky in close proximity. Highly doubtful that it uses frequency hopping either so most systems would jump around its frequency in the 2.4 if that's what it operates on.
FPV beyond LOS you need good video quality which then needs higher watt video outputs etc which if on the same 2.4 is like two people screaming in two different languages at a distance at the same time. It becomes noise to the listener.
Multi 2.4 is like a room where many are carrying on quiet conversations in different languages. So the concern there would be if you intend to use it for an FPV tracker, particularly at long range or around obstructions.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Today at 03:29 PM.
Old Today, 05:58 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
3,046 Posts
It's better to leave a fixed focal length that covers most cases. Autofocus ALWAYS mess up. I can tell. That's not Soloshot's fault.

The tracking doesn't look that bad. I actually see this footage very encouraging. Saving a couple of scenes, most of the times the plane is getting out of picture it's because the pilot is flying almost above his own head. Even my father misses those shots. If you fly with a decent angle it doesn't get lost that easily. Actually even more zoom could be used and you would still have the plane in sight most of the time.
And I don't think my flight style would be so bad for the tracker. Most of my maneuvers are performed at slow speed, so even easier to follow. It sometimes get's lost in the vertical axis. Not quite there yet but better than I expected definitely.
Old Today, 06:13 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
It's better to leave a fixed focal length that covers most cases. Autofocus ALWAYS mess up. I can tell. That's not Soloshot's fault.

The tracking doesn't look that bad. I actually see this footage very encouraging. Saving a couple of scenes, most of the times the plane is getting out of picture it's because the pilot is flying almost above his own head. Even my father misses those shots. If you fly with a decent angle it doesn't get lost that easily. Actually even more zoom could be used and you would still have the plane in sight most of the time.
And I don't think my flight style would be so bad for the tracker. Most of my maneuvers are performed at slow speed, so even easier to follow. It sometimes get's lost in the vertical axis. Not quite there yet but better than I expected definitely.
The pilot doesn't mention his soloshot2 set up but it doesn't appear that the focus control of the Soloshot2 is engaged. I take it as an algorithm that controls the zoom allowing the auto focus to correct to keep the subject in frame. Thus if it tracks the tag may fall outside of the zoom field, the controller would zoom out to keep the subject in frame.

What that demo may have been is just the tag and the tracker with the camera left in auto focus where it gets lost in the cloud clutter. I thought newer camera stabilization systems did a better job of that differentiating the tracked object from the common background. I guess the quality of camera you jam on the stand will be the defining bench mark......
RCG Plus Member