HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 08, 2011, 06:48 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Apr 2011
42 Posts
Discussion
HK Yak 54 or PZ Extra 300?

I've been trying to decide between these two planes. The Yak has price going for it, while the Extra looks like it might be a little tougher. Anybody have both of these planes? Which is better out of the box? I've seen good and bad reviews of both planes, and am looking for someone who's had experience with both. I know that neither will perform as well as a balsa plane, but I want my first 3D off the simulator to be on a foam plane. Thanks.
steve108819 is offline Find More Posts by steve108819
Last edited by steve108819; Jun 11, 2011 at 11:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2011, 08:14 AM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
cloaked's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve108819 View Post
I've been trying to decide between these two planes. The Yak has price going for it, while the Extra looks like it might be a little tougher. Anybody have both of these planes? Which is better out of the box? I've seen good and bad reviews of both planes, and am looking for someone who's had experience with both. Thanks.
More information on the Yak would help.

There are a few.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:44 AM
Registered User
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Apr 2011
42 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10350
Sorry.

"Fully 3D capable right out of the box. This Plug-n-Fly YAK54 comes with all servos, brushless esc and gearboxed motor pre-installed!
Large control surfaces and light weight make this an excellent 3D foamie!


Specification:
Wing Span: 36.6in
Length: 35in
Weight: 570g
Motor: B2025 Inrunner brushless motor 3600kv
Prop: 11x4.7
ESC: 20A brushless
Battery: 11.1v 1300mAh 3S1P (Not included)
Servos: 9g x 3

Required:
Your TX & RX
11.1V 3S 1300mah lipo battery"
steve108819 is offline Find More Posts by steve108819
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:17 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
cloaked's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve108819 View Post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10350
Sorry.

"Fully 3D capable right out of the box. This Plug-n-Fly YAK54 comes with all servos, brushless esc and gearboxed motor pre-installed!
Large control surfaces and light weight make this an excellent 3D foamie!


Specification:
Wing Span: 36.6in
Length: 35in
Weight: 570g
Motor: B2025 Inrunner brushless motor 3600kv
Prop: 11x4.7
ESC: 20A brushless
Battery: 11.1v 1300mAh 3S1P (Not included)
Servos: 9g x 3

Required:
Your TX & RX
11.1V 3S 1300mah lipo battery"
Hehehe GET IT, my review is the bottom one of the aussie warhouse version found here. The one by Willis.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15391

I love this plane, for the money its fantasic, replace the servos with some HXT 900's and its a fantastic plane out of the box, I cant say enough about it.

It will fly just as good if not better then the Parkzone Extra 300 plus you can buy 3 of these with extra servos, batteries, RX and spare motor/prop for what you would pay for the Parkzone.

Seems simple to me really.

P.S. I love Parkzone as well, i have 3 of there planes this is probably a nicer flyer then all of them.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 02:45 AM
Registered User
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Apr 2011
42 Posts
Thanks Cloaked. I've been struggling trying to find a good 3D foamy that's a full fuse. I think they're all a compromise, but these 2 seem to be the best compromise. I like the fact that the PZ Extra can be bought today from the LHS, and replacement parts are very easily found for cheap. However I like the Yak airframe better than the Extra for 3D. I also like the price of this particular Yak. I think I'll get the Yak from HK, the deciding factor being if I don't like it, I'm really not out that much money.
steve108819 is offline Find More Posts by steve108819
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 06:08 AM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
cloaked's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve108819 View Post
Thanks Cloaked. I've been struggling trying to find a good 3D foamy that's a full fuse. I think they're all a compromise, but these 2 seem to be the best compromise. I like the fact that the PZ Extra can be bought today from the LHS, and replacement parts are very easily found for cheap. However I like the Yak airframe better than the Extra for 3D. I also like the price of this particular Yak. I think I'll get the Yak from HK, the deciding factor being if I don't like it, I'm really not out that much money.
Good choice, if you dont like it Ill eat my hat.

Its actually 3D capable where as the Extra 300 is not.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 04:18 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Get Real's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Ive flown the techone version of the yak 54(same plane),flys well and and its durable. Will fly 3d stuff fine and good for sport flying as well,i got mine through commonsenserc with the motor combo for $69.99. My buddy has it now and likes it,he's not much of a 3d flyer but has been hovering with it pretty good and flying a lot lower and doing more with the epp yak than he does with his bigger nitro planes. Techone also has a larger version of this plane and hk has a yak 55 thats the same style but also a larger plane that might be worth a look to. Heres some video of it on the second flight when i was flying it earlier this year.

Techone EPP Yak 54 Second Flight! (6 min 31 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:21 AM
WickedFunRC's Avatar
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Ive flown the techone version of the yak 54(same plane),flys well and and its durable. Will fly 3d stuff fine and good for sport flying as well,i got mine through commonsenserc with the motor combo for $69.99. My buddy has it now and likes it,he's not much of a 3d flyer but has been hovering with it pretty good and flying a lot lower and doing more with the epp yak than he does with his bigger nitro planes. Techone also has a larger version of this plane and hk has a yak 55 thats the same style but also a larger plane that might be worth a look to. Heres some video of it on the second flight when i was flying it earlier this year.
Nice flying Get Real! It definitly does a tight waterfall. I've been really tempted to pick some of the Techone Yaks up to sell. Of course I would keep one for myself (for testing purposes ). I didn't realize they came out with a larger version as well. I noticed they also have some other cool designs in the pipeline. Thanks for the heads up!
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 03:23 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2008
36 Posts
http://www.84hobby.com has Techone... ...

http://www.84hobby.com has Techone Yak 54
http://www.84hobby.com/store/techone...lane-p-88.html
grimesr is offline Find More Posts by grimesr
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:14 PM
Registered User
320pilot's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
2,531 Posts
the Yak 54 that that the OP , steve108819 asked about is this one. See his second post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14882

the Techone EPP YAK 54 is a profile foamie, not the same as the HK Yak 54 at all.

I just ordered one of these HK Yak 54s from the USA Warehouse, for my son. Came out of the box, ok but NO MANUAL. Nothing, re C of G, control throws, etc.


I am figuring how to put it all together, now, with a HK orange rx to fly with my DX-7 Tx. I will set it up with limited control throws, and lots of expo on Elev and Aileron initially. C of G would help.

So does anyone know where I can find the manual?
ps. to mount wing, you have to first unscrew screw with clear base in front of canopy. It is not necessary, to remove engine cowl. Once this screw is off, slide canopy/upper fuse up at front, then slide ahead a bit. see last picture

just found an old thread, here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=yak+54
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Jun 23, 2011 at 07:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:49 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
cloaked's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,645 Posts
Check the files Tab under the International Warehouse, thats where I downloaded mine from.


CG is approx 1/2 forward of the canopy.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:03 PM
Registered User
320pilot's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
2,531 Posts
thanks, I will look for that

found this , assembly instructions for art-tech YAK 54. Same as HK Yak 54.
http://www.art-tech.com/english/pdf/YAK54.pdf

assembly instructions start on page 8

here is a picture of c of G from manual. No control throws are listed.
I am just waiting for an HS-55 servo, to replace the single aileron servo, then it should be ready for my son to maiden it.

Can you hand launch it with the stock setup?
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Jun 23, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:24 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
cloaked's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,645 Posts
Yeah thats the one.

Great lil airframe (RIP) I dumb thumbed mine last week. Its left a large hole....
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:33 PM
Registered User
320pilot's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked View Post
Its left a large hole....
In the ground, or you miss it?

just ordered two more 11X4.7 props. The included prop with the HK YAK 54 kit says "ART-TECH" if you look closely.

Also a GWS IPS Drive Shaft part# IPS-6A, which folks say is much stronger than stock motor shaft.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Jun 23, 2011 at 10:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:12 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
cloaked's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
In the ground, or you miss it?

just ordered two more 11X4.7 props. The included prop with the HK YAK 54 kit says "ART-TECH" if you look closely.

Also a GWS IPS Drive Shaft part# IPS-6A, which folks say is much stronger than stock motor shaft.
In my heart

I used a Plywood firewall with the HK 1100kv Donkey and the stock 11x4.7 art tech prop.

I had to change the speedy to a 30 amps beccause at WOT it would pull close to 31 amps...

Damn it was fun though.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Need a consensus on Phoenix Ice Lite 50 for lower amp motors. kevinO Castle Creations 0 Mar 28, 2011 03:41 PM
What's the consensus on best Rx for Corona? Lewis H. Cobb Electric Heli Talk 8 Jun 19, 2005 12:32 PM
The consensus on the best performing brushless rumme Power Systems 50 Mar 05, 2005 04:29 PM
Best way to "sturdy up" my wing to fuselage on a profile plane?? mike93 Foamies (Kits) 5 Nov 11, 2004 03:04 PM
Any ideas how to mount landing gear on a profile plane? voodoo28 Foamies (Kits) 2 Sep 06, 2003 04:28 PM